Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy tune / Lean TuNE V8 Gen5

Economy tune / Lean TuNE V8 Gen5

i'm looking for some advice to make an economy tune on my 5.3 tahoe 2016

i already use the search fonction on the forum and cant find nothing about gen5

I know we have to play on 02 switchpoint and commanded AFR

but i need some help

thanks

put it in open loop and tune it to 17:1 AFR in the cruise ranges, throw away your O2 sensors

Do i have to change the switch point ?

To me his post is more so saying that it's not worth your time to even do this.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

You will get better fuel economy just optimizing your tune. I disabled DoD, tweaked the timing tables and the fueling (along with some other personal preference items), adjusted shift points and I am getting better fuel economy even enabling PE sooner than factory. I would say this is typical with most.

I didn't have many full tanks before I started tuning, but I am around 0.5-1.0 MPG better now than I was before. I just hit my best of 19.2 MPG, mainly country roads to work and a few short trips close to the house. The best I could get before that was purely the back country roads and I was at 18.8 MPG. Those numbers are measured at the pump (and also now calibrated to the DIC).
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

basically, anytime you use your brakes, your wasting gas. You'll see more from not using your brakes (coast) then you will any tuning changes. Serious. Start there. The OEM's get pressure to get every last drop of gas converted into miles it's rediculous = Auto-Shut Off. If there's something that could be done, it would have been done. Decel Fuel Cutoff is one of the best things you can do but it's not saving much but it's one of the most obvious things everyone notices when it finally kicks in, then wonder why didnt it kick in earlier.

With automatics, you can still lock the converter earlier on the older cars (newer lock them pretty early almost too early), lower the shift points, etc but that all causes negative driver feedback, but will get you more mpg's. So will coasting to a stop, rolling until the red turns green, getting passed by angry drivers, etc.

You have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?
    Last edited by 10_SS; 04-27-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    i tune economy by going off the instant fuel usage on the dash, use the same stretch of road and set cruise to same speed and adjust timing, fuel, eoit and see what gives u the best results as it will take all variables into the situation, if the engine is at its best torque most efficient the instant fuel will be at its lowest

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    i tune economy by going off the instant fuel usage on the dash, use the same stretch of road and set cruise to same speed and adjust timing, fuel, eoit and see what gives u the best results as it will take all variables into the situation, if the engine is at its best torque most efficient the instant fuel will be at its lowest
    or in the US it will be at its highest.

I lean out the closed loop AFR. Set the Max Rich/Lean to 200 MV (ECM 2519)

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    I lean out the closed loop AFR. Set the Max Rich/Lean to 200 MV (ECM 2519)

Russ Kemp
    What happens to the trims with this? If nothing you?d have to see what the lambda the computer is thinking is stoic. Solve for the difference and apply to PE to ?fudge? the PE? Yes?
    Last edited by nicul15; 04-28-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks for all advice

I get over 30mpg on the hwy with my Gen6 Camaro LT1 w/LT4 fuel and S/C. Mid to upper 20's normal driving. I drive from Chicago to near Grand Rapids MI alot and my 2010 Fusion hybrid and Camaro get the same mpg at the end of the day driving at 70-80mph. Optimize the tune and you'll be good.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    No you dont...

Tuner in Training
    How can disabling DoD improve fuel economy?
    I?ve not tuned in over 16 years and even then never beyond noob so I know zero about gen 5. I daily drive 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 with L86 and genuinely curious as I see switch to V4 under low load conditions returns good fuel mileage. It may return similar / identical economy in V8 under same situation however it goes to V4. I have HPT (old version) and just considering at this time some changes as you mention above to improve driving experience. Only powertrain mod is GMPP exhaust (Corsa) installed at delivery. Thanks.

I believe the fuel compensation in and out of DOD causes some excess fuel consumption. I think properly tuned vehicle will see minimal benefit from DOD unless you do a lot of highway cruising. My best tank around town/country roads has been around 20 (19.84 to be exact) miles per gallon. That is with DOD disabled. I did a full tune at the same time so I can’t say how much DOD did buy itself, I just knew I didn’t want anything to do with it.

I have the GM Borla cat back, airaid intake tube, and just recently L86 intake.

I really want to find a way to eliminate the 25% added fuel when coming out of decel fuel cut. It creates a stupid rich condition for an extended period of time.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Thanks WS6, I do a fair amount highway although mostly above V4 speeds...however yesterday (July 4th) driving home from beach lots of police units on roads so I set cruise to speed limit and observed DIC for mpg/V4/V8. Usually V4 in town when more conscientious and avoiding speeding tickets.

I have Airaid intake tube from my 2011 6.2 I believe may fit my 2017 6.2 however not installed, did this piece make a noticeable difference on your 2018 5.3? Thanks.

It made more noise, about all I could really tell. I never went on the dyno and the MPG change was not really measurable. Put it this way though, while I can’t say how much it helped I can say with confidence it did not hurt anything.

Tuner in Training
    Agree on the noise, it had a drone when I accelerated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    I believe the fuel compensation in and out of DOD causes some excess fuel consumption. I think properly tuned vehicle will see minimal benefit from DOD unless you do a lot of highway cruising. My best tank around town/country roads has been around 20 (19.84 to be exact) miles per gallon. That is with DOD disabled. I did a full tune at the same time so I can’t say how much DOD did buy itself, I just knew I didn’t want anything to do with it.

I have the GM Borla cat back, airaid intake tube, and just recently L86 intake.

I really want to find a way to eliminate the 25% added fuel when coming out of decel fuel cut. It creates a stupid rich condition for an extended period of time.
    I am curious, how do you like the exhaust? Been thinking about upgrading on my truck but damn those borla systems are expensive.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

I love it. Louder than people lead you to believe, just enough IMO. Some claim they can't tell difference vs. stock - BS.