Thread: idle control on 2016 coyote

Tuner in Training

idle control on 2016 coyote

I have a 2016 mustang edlebrock supercharger, stock throttle body.

When i start it, idles as commanded, put it in drive, its fine, put it in park again and idles at 1200-300 rpm and wont dip down.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    In your idle RPM tab.
    Under Temperature Based, you have Base RPM set to 1000 and Startup set to 1250. It appears it's idling at the commanded 1250.
    You also have Idle Adders at the bottom of Climate Control Setpoint.
    Lower your Maximum Setpoint for P/N. It's at 1600.
    Below that, Max Setpoint Drive is set to 875. When you put it in drive it drops down to 875, then you put it back into park and it idles up to 1250 for the cold start count down.
    Go over this whole tab.

Add VCT Schedule Mode, VCT Intake, VCT Exhaust, Trans Commanded Gear to your channel list.

idlespeed.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    In your idle RPM tab.
    Under Temperature Based, you have Base RPM set to 1000 and Startup set to 1250. It appears it's idling at the commanded 1250.
    You also have Idle Adders at the bottom of Climate Control Setpoint.
    Lower your Maximum Setpoint for P/N. It's at 1600.
    Below that, Max Setpoint Drive is set to 875. When you put it in drive it drops down to 875, then you put it back into park and it idles up to 1250 for the cold start count down.
    Go over this whole tab.

Add VCT Schedule Mode, VCT Intake, VCT Exhaust, Trans Commanded Gear to your channel list.

idlespeed.PNG
    I adjusted this and still idles high

Someone told me to lower timing back to stock in the idle area, its my next step but is their anything else i should look for?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by t76mach View Post
    I adjusted this and still idles high

Someone told me to lower timing back to stock in the idle area, its my next step but is their anything else i should look for?
    Post your updated tune and log with the additional log channels that were requested above please.

So add VCT Schedule Mode, VCT Intake, VCT Exhaust, Trans Commanded Gear + also Torque Source. In addition I believe logging the channels that AREN'T the SAE versions are higher resolution... you may want to switch to those.

I'm confused about accelerator position (SAE) 14.9% but it's probably because it's SAE lol.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Advanced Tuner
    In the Torque Model tab. Return Torque Minimun and your idle monitors to stock.
    In your imrc tab, I forgot the exact name, but it's on the bottom left, you have a drop down box set to open below that IMRC Position, set it to 199%. Change all your "closed" positions to Open. IMRC Configuration, all cells to 1. On your emission reduction mapped point. The first cell is 0, change it to 1. I have a good channel list I'll upload. SAE logs slower and your missing important pids.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    In the Torque Model tab. Return Torque Minimun and your idle monitors to stock.
    In your imrc tab, I forgot the exact name, but it's on the bottom left, you have a drop down box set to open below that IMRC Position, set it to 199%. Change all your "closed" positions to Open. IMRC Configuration, all cells to 1. On your emission reduction mapped point. The first cell is 0, change it to 1. I have a good channel list I'll upload. SAE logs slower and your missing important pids.
    thank you! will try it

Advanced Tuner
    Changing these tables will help with idle as well. Check the RPM axis, there's small changes at low RPM.
    disttance.PNG

I hope this isn't considered a thread hijack - I have questions on idle speed for my 2015 GT. I haven't done any mods except behind the cat exhaust and a steeda intake (With the "no tune" insert for the MAF). Basically, all I want to do is start up the car and idle as close to warm idle as possible...Right around 650 I think. I've already set the base setpoint to the same RPM regardless of temp (675 neutral, 700 first gear, 650 otherwise....) and P/N VCT to 600 across the board and 640 for drive vct across the board. Idle max is 750 across the board.

I also changed the spark cold retard to 55 across the board for both tables.

In case it isn't immediately obvious, I'm trying to make my startups as quiet as possible because I run a pretty loud exhaust (Roush axlebacks + x-pipe with dynomax bullets welded in to lower volume). The cold start retard helped a ton, and my idle speed is maybe 100-200 rpm lower than before, but it's still above 1000, and I'd like to get it a lot lower. I know that the engine is in open loop right after start (Well according to the coyote cookbook) and I know it physically needs to run faster to stay running when cold (Cold here is maybe 50 degrees in the winter). The coyote cookbook says that some idle control is in torque demand tables, but the quickly moves on to a different topic.

Would any of you mind nudging me into the right direction? I appreciate it!

Make it leaner with BASE fuel table - this will make it less noisy as well.

You can also close your throttle during cranking - this also helps a bit.

ETC startup.jpg

Next in IDLE lower your temp based rpm:

Idle rpm temp based.jpg

You can also try lowering Torque at idle but not much.

Thank you for the reply. I'm seeing a lot less tables that what you have, is there a setting I'm not finding in the interface that hides them for some reason? Here's what I see and have set for the Engine > Idle > RPM for example

Attachment 89620

And here is the Airflow tables:
    Attachment 89621

And lastly the tq tables (Sorry it's so busy, tried to fit them all)
    Attachment 89622
    Last edited by Mustang; 05-10-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added more screenshots
    Sorry for asking a lot of probably stupid questions, I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any information you have provided me

Tuner in Training
    Are you selecting Advanced view?

Advanced.png

Boy do I feel stupid LOL. I was on basic view. My world has expanded LOL. Thank you!
    Sorry for asking a lot of probably stupid questions, I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any information you have provided me

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Boy do I feel stupid LOL. I was on basic view. My world has expanded LOL. Thank you!
    haha
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    haha
    for anyone who runs into this issue again, i went back put the torque tables a little bit below stock at the idle range.
    Also I seen i changed the spark map points in the idle range higher then stock, put them at stock and helped allot but still not perfect
    dropped them a little more (24 degrees) and now it idles where commanded.

I've been doing a lot more reading into this and took a long look at a log I made of the RPM. I'm a bit confused, but I think I have the associations down.

This is the first time there is a noticeable drop in RPM (1250):
    Attachment 89902

This is the end of the RPM transition (1000):
    Attachment 89903

And here again, we have the beginning of an RPM drop (1000):
    Attachment 89904

And the end of that RPM transition (800):
    Attachment 89905

The beginning of the last "big" RPM step (800). Note I re-scaled a lot of the graphs for these last three screenshots:
    Attachment 89906

And the stable low idle (725):
    Attachment 89907

These RPM's (Above) are with me depressing the clutch pedal. I noticed that if I placed it in neutral and let out the clutch pedal, the idle dropped even further to about 625. You can see me dis/en-gaging the clutch pedal several times here:
    Attachment 89908

To my very untrained-but-wanting-to-learn eye, it seems like the RPM is being controlled by the TPS%. I'm having a more difficult time figuring out what is triggering it. I have my idle speeds set to 675 (As seen a few posts up).

1. Perhaps the first RPM drop (1250 --> 1000) is triggered by the catalyst temp hitting 800? I don't see why it stopped going down though, other than hitting 1000RPM.
    2. It would appear the next RPM drop (1000 --> 800) is triggered by moving mapping point from 2 to 1. Again, I don't know why it stopped at 800RPM.
    3. The next RPM drop (800 --> 725) is (maybe?) by the catalyst hitting 900* F.
    4. The logs don't show the last drop, but I know it is because I let the clutch pedal out in neutral.

Ultimately, what I'm looking to do is mirror what my factory truck does (Granted, it's a 2001 truck)...As soon as the engine starts, it idles around 650 and stays at 650, it doesn't really ramp up or down.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? Can I somehow tell the PCM to ignore catalyst temp, or simply to not use mapped points 0 or 2? I saw some posts that seemed to indicate that the VCT Emissions/Fuel Economy/Stability settings might have something to do with this, but I haven't been able to grasp the connection with all of that connecting to the TPS%.

Sorry for being so wordy/technical/anal-retentive, and thank you for your thoughts. Even in advanced mode, I don't have the temp/idle settings that veeefour posted.