Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning School Gen V online essentials Course

Tuner in Training

Tuning School Gen V online essentials Course

I have all the gm Tuning School books, I purchased the online essentials course for gen v. It was very disappointing, It did help me understand the driver demand and virtual torque better but it didn't help me with tuning just a stock truck. Playing with the driver demand tables for better throttle response? Some say don't change them, some do. I submitted a ticket and really didn't get an answer other than (in their process). Buying the essential course should show me some of the process for gen V in my opinion. What about SOI and Cam timing?? The question is IS IT WORTH BUYING THE GEN V BOOK, since I already have gm beginners, advanced, maf & ve, and the trans books?? Thanks
    Last edited by camarolsx16; 04-25-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Save your money... study on here and ask questions and read post from individuals who know what their talking about

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    thank you!

Agreed. I also challenge some of the advice they give in there. I would not call it advanced at all. It seemed more of an intro and some blanket changes based on their recommendations.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

just wondering why havent someone made a proper tuning guide for gen 5, i can find gen3 and gen4 guides online but nothing about gen 5 tuning,,,,,,

Senior Tuner
    I think the Tuning School just doesn't know how it all works yet. Probably shouldn't have offered a book for Gen V until they have the knowledge.

Advanced Tuner
    Having read it, there were a few useful tidbits in there but for the most part this forum has been the best source of knowledge on these platforms.

Give it about 4 years and they will take all the good info rom the forums and make a book LMAO

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Save your money... study on here and ask questions and read post from individuals who know what their talking about
    Ben is right on the money with that statement! The books show you a cookie cutter way to tune, they do not explain why you change it and the reasoning for the change. I have the books also and learned more from this site and the tuners in here then the books show.

Quote Originally Posted by camarolsx16 View Post
    I have all the gm Tuning School books, I purchased the online essentials course for gen v. It was very disappointing, It did help me understand the driver demand and virtual torque better but it didn't help me with tuning just a stock truck. Playing with the driver demand tables for better throttle response? Some say don't change them, some do. I submitted a ticket and really didn't get an answer other than. Buying the essential course should show me some of the process for gen V in my opinion. What about SOI and Cam timing?? The question is IS IT WORTH BUYING THE GEN V BOOK, since I already have gm beginners, advanced, maf & ve, and the trans books?? Thanks
    Hi,

If you've already some materials to begin with, then what for do you need this course? You may just save money for something else. I thought about the paid courses too (found a guy on Corvette forums who was offering the course), but I didn't want to pay $400 for that.
    Btw, does anyone here perhaps have a HP tuners tune for a ls7 hci torquer 116? My dad's old monster, but I would like to mess around with it.
    Thanks,
    Arthur
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-28-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by QTR FMS View Post
    just wondering why havent someone made a proper tuning guide for gen 5, i can find gen3 and gen4 guides online but nothing about gen 5 tuning,,,,,,
    I think people who have learned gen5 well found out it was a much steeper learning curve than expected, and they aren't sharing much without getting paid for it. Disappointing, considering what is out there you have to filter through the BS like it's always been. I started a thread to post resources. I'll add to it if I find more.

Tuner in Training
    look at "goat rope garage" channel on youtube. very good info on there.

Quote Originally Posted by QTR FMS View Post
    Most of the "free" online guides and videos are made by people who don't have a great understanding of the system themselves. Lots of errors and contradictions between those "guides". We have added lots of GEN5 content to our Calibrated Success videos and posted everything on our streaming site. Admittedly, it's not free, but at least it's accurate. Be warned, it's not as simple as many would like and you can't take many of the shortcuts most tuners are used to here. Properly calibrating a GEN5 torque based system will take more than an hour or two on the dyno if you want it to run right.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Give it about 4 years and they will take all the good info rom the forums and make a book LMAO
    True. Collective intelligence.

>I have all the gm Tuning School books, I purchased the online essentials course for gen v.

I guess nowadays is better to google stuff, idk.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamMosher View Post
    True. Collective intelligence.

>I have all the gm Tuning School books, I purchased the online essentials course for gen v.

I guess nowadays is better to google stuff, idk.
    I agree with you, but sometimes there is cutting-edge info that is not online. In this case, you need to find knowledge from the person directly.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Most of the "free" online guides and videos are made by people who don't have a great understanding of the system themselves. Lots of errors and contradictions between those "guides". We have added lots of GEN5 content to our Calibrated Success videos and posted everything on our streaming site. Admittedly, it's not free, but at least it's accurate. Be warned, it's not as simple as many would like and you can't take many of the shortcuts most tuners are used to here. Properly calibrating a GEN5 torque based system will take more than an hour or two on the dyno if you want it to run right.
    110% spot-on. I recommend visiting all the Calibrated Success links in Greg's signature and purchasing his video series if you can. You won't find any better info on Gen IV and Gen V. I've re-watched his Gen V video multiple times now and always end up learning something new I had missed.

I started off my research by purchasing the entire Tuning School series, and can confirm it doesn't hold a candle to the Calibrated Success videos. Lots of corners cut in the Tuning School books which just don't work anymore with the torque-based Gen V.

BTW, anyone want to buy a suite of Tuning School publications for cheap?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pisces_0 View Post
    110% spot-on. I recommend visiting all the Calibrated Success links in Greg's signature and purchasing his video series if you can. You won't find any better info on Gen IV and Gen V. I've re-watched his Gen V video multiple times now and always end up learning something new I had missed.

I started off my research by purchasing the entire Tuning School series, and can confirm it doesn't hold a candle to the Calibrated Success videos. Lots of corners cut in the Tuning School books which just don't work anymore with the torque-based Gen V.

BTW, anyone want to buy a suite of Tuning School publications for cheap?
    Agree with pisces_0, I had the exact same experience. TTS should be refunding everyone’s money for the Gen V program. Flat out bad advice across the board.
    2017 Camaro SS, Whipple 3.0, Mast LT Black Label heads, 112mm TB, LPE BB HPFP & LT4+52% injectors, Fore Innovations triple pumps
    1059 WHP, 944 WTQ

Yep another one bought gen v tuning school and then calibrated success and wow is the tuning school way off. I will say I got that garbage when came out so a long time ago and did greg?s 2 years ago and night and day. Once you have learned your way on a lot can see how ass backwards tuning school is on some of it vrs banish.

Give it a couple more years, they will steal all the knowledge they can from this forum and make a book out of it lmao..

14 Gen 5 Viper

Quote Originally Posted by JERICHON View Post
    There are many people who like to read books on car tuning. You should definitely consider buying one of them if you want to improve your knowledge about car tuning. It is true that many of them are plagiarized and just rewrite the same thing but in different words. But there are some good books out there that actually teach you something new. Many books on car tuning are written by authors who have no idea how to do any of the things they are talking about. They just read the same thing in different words, then take credit for it. I am a beginner so I can't recommend anything, but I think that almost any book is worth read
    As someone who works with words for a living, I’m always on the lookout for new writing tools that can help me be more productive. So when I heard about AI-powered writing tools, I was intrigued. Could these new tools really help me write better and faster?