Thread: 2001 LS1 M6 Idle Surge with GM Hot Cam

Potential Tuner

Question 2001 LS1 M6 Idle Surge with GM Hot Cam

HP Newbie: 2001 LS1 M6 blueprinted road race engine. Rules compliant stock MAF, injectors, cast manifolds, front O2's, heads, LS6 intake. New GM Perf Parts LS1 "hot cam": .525", 112 LSA, 218/227 duration, p/n 12625033. Car ran great with stock cam, now it surges big time. Will not stay running unless I hold throttle open for a long time. Only way I've stopped surge is unplug IAC at a high count. But I want to fix issue. Been on this forum for 3 weeks trying to learn what to change, confused big time. I tried increasing idle airflow, advance timing, bump up idle speed. Did not help. Is LTFT swinging too much? Is LTIT over correcting? Is IAC lost? Airmass doesn't seem to change. I did not change VE. Help. Attached is idle surging log and existing, unmodified tune. Above idle the engine runs really strong at practice last week. Maybe not optimized, but idle is my current issue. I kill main power each time I turn off car so PCM relearns each engine start. Thanks, Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jay01TA
    2001 LS1 Firebird

So it had all that stuff and you added the camshaft or it was all added at once??

Are you 100% positive you have zero vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks pre-o2 sensor?

Is fuel pressure staying steady at 58psi?

Do you own a wideband o2 sensor??

I'd make sure the leaks and pressure were good then work on the MAF/VE before getting too involved with the idle. A lot of the idle airflow/fueling can really be helped when the MAF/VE are dialed in. You will have to do both in open loop with zero fuel trim control using a wideband o2 sensor. Each will be done separate from one another as well to get both halfs of the airflow model corrected. Afterwards things like idle airflow settings and timing tend to fall in line better because you are not fighting the fueling anymore.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.