Thread: Need help with idle stall when put in gear..

Question Need help with idle stall when put in gear..

I have tried so many different things and i'm at a loss. Idles good accept when put in gear. Will usually stall. What i don't understand is why the desired RPM does not change when going from P/N to in gear. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks for your help.

idle test 4-27.hplCrawler Tune LS ECM - 2.10.hpt

Well you aren't running the stock transmission and it's told that it's running a non elec auto, which was never offered in that chassis. Your PRNDL is also set to PN only and not PRNDL, so maybe that also means it doesn't know that either.

When we did my buddies 5.3/Th350 rock crawler I left the transmission type as 4L60e, disabled all the codes and never had an issue with stalling at all.

Cut your over/underspeed spark correction tables too, it won't hunt as bad for idle timing then. Also fix your fueling, that VE needs a ton of work.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks 5FDP, I know the VE needs work and that is what I’m trying to work on. That was adjusted only after my very first drive. It dies every time I come to a stop or put it in gear. I’m trying to fix that so I can at least keep it running. Then I’ll continue with the VE.
    I’ll give your suggestions a try.
    Did you use the P/N function on your buddies crawler?
    One other thing, if you watch the log file, I’m monitoring the P/N function. In gear the state switches from P/N to D4.

Advanced Tuner
    My 700R4 did that too and it was the torque converter lock-up solenoid. The solenoid quit in the locked state and I just unplugged it to get home.

lThat makes sense, but I running a TH400 with no lock up so it can't be that. I elected to go with the DBW system and it has something to do with that. I have tried about 12 different tunes now playing with different settings. What I'm seeing is that the DBW system is not responding quick enough to keep the engine from stalling. I can SLOWLY put in gear, to let the idle system "catch up" and then slip in in gear and it works. Then, going back to park, it has to play "catch up" again. It can't seem to do this quick enough. When it does finally react, the RPM's have shot up to about 1500 and it slams the TB shut, then the engine starts to stall, and it cant react fast enough to bring it back, so it dies.....I'm TOTALLY lost!!

I think I finally got it figured out. It was extremely rich on the bottom (idle) end of the VE table. After cutting approximately 25% of the fueling, it started acting the way it should. What a pain. Now I wondering if the injector tables are correct. They were supposed to be the ones that came with this motor and ECU. Now to tune the rest of the VE.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    You learned the hard way that fuel plays a major part of idle control. Always try to keep it within +-3-5% when making adjustments at idle.

I'm also finding that the learning curve is more of a vertical wall than a curve!!

Aw it's not that bad. Your doing alright. Keep pushing

Thanks! There is just SO much to learn.....I've worked on FI stuff my entire career (Ford Chevy Dodge and some Imports stuff), but just the factory scan-tool stuff. I'v never had the opportunity, or the ability to get this deep in all the settings. Programing one of these ECM's has really helped me to understand how they work and what it is actually doing behind the scenes. It's just grasping how all of the different settings work together to make the motor run right, and do what you want, when you want it to do it. It's been an education for sure.

its all good to know. been here since 05 and i still learning
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman