Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning any help is appreciated

Tuner in Training

New to tuning any help is appreciated

Goodmorning fellas,

I have decided to turbo a 99 1500. Ive installed a T4 76 .81 Ebay turbo. No issues yet, fingers crossed. I put 60 lb injectors and a 255lph pump in. I did a bunch of cut and paste to get this thing to run and, under boost it feels quite nice. I am getting an idle surge of about 200 rpm in park and in neutral it is going up to 1200-1400 rpm and is really slow coming back down. It feels really gutless off the line. no power without boost. I installed a set of 3.73 gears and a limited slip carrier. I changed the ratio under final drive, but the speedometer is not correct. I'm running 10 psi.

Thanks again for looking
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    what size of tire you running?

Tuner in Training
    255/70/16

Tuner
    3.73revised.hpt try this revision

Couple things I see that are weird. Your stoich is set to 13.79, are you really running like a E15-20ish fuel in that?

If not you really should set it back to 14.68 for regular fuel and 14.2 for E10 gas. Then don't forget to adjust your PE and BE settings to get back to what you want for a commanded AFR under WOT. Having the wrong stoich ratio will for sure throw off your fueling.

Don't forget to disable the MAF fully. Set the MAF fail high to 0hz and the the 3 DTC's to MIL on first error.

What fuel pressure are you running? Are those injectors rated at 43.5psi or 58psi?

A log file with good data along with a wideband o2 sensor is a must to really see how this thing is running. I do not suggest getting into boost if you haven't really done alot of fuel tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    My air/fuel is at 14.6-14.9 while I have vacuum under boost it is going to 12.4 to 12.2. I will look for the pe and be settings. But I am completely ignorant to what that stands for or what to look for there. I will log tomorrow after work and post it for you but I can?t seem to get my innovative LC-2 to read InThe charts. I have it listed but it doesn?t chart and I don?t know how to fix that either. I have been reading and am doing my best to learn. I am so very thankful for y?all time.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, I will give it a shot tomorrow

You'll still want to change the stoich to match what fuel you are running. Because it is using that value to base many other calculations off of.

12.2-12.4 is rather lean for boost, you are better off aiming for 11.0-11.5 as you learn this. Popping an engine because you went lean is not something you want to do.

Set stoich for the fuel you are using and read up on how to set your power enrichment and boost enrichment settings. I do not suggest copying other peoples tune files if you yourself do not know what some things do yet, it will bite you in the ass.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    3.73revised.hpt try this revision
    was this written on the beta? it tells me that I need to update to open, I checked and I am using the most recent version.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by v8miata View Post
    was this written on the beta? it tells me that I need to update to open, I checked and I am using the most recent version.
    I am using the beta version of HP Tuners

Tuner in Training
    Thank you doug0 im within 3mph now
    Here is a log file of what the truck is doing I cannot get the wideband to show on the chart not sure why

Tuner in Training

That data log doesn't really do much for helping.

Was anything that I suggested gone over?

You never answered some of the things about fuel pressure and if you failed the MAF correctly.

That log shows minimal data and you are missing or logging the wrong channels. You need to add commanded AFR, knock retard, injector pulse width avg for both banks, cylinder airmass. Remove the 1 bar MAP channel and replace it with the 2 or 3 bar MAP channel. Because right now the MAP channel stops at 105kpa and we can't see what it happening above that.

Your temp sensor is stuck at 120 degrees all the time, that is clearly a problem with the IAT sensor. Getting that figured out as well as part throttle fueling will help with a bunch of this.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Couple things I see that are weird. Your stoich is set to 13.79, are you really running like a E15-20ish fuel in that?

If not you really should set it back to 14.68 for regular fuel and 14.2 for E10 gas. Then don't forget to adjust your PE and BE settings to get back to what you want for a commanded AFR under WOT. Having the wrong stoich ratio will for sure throw off your fueling.

Don't forget to disable the MAF fully. Set the MAF fail high to 0hz and the the 3 DTC's to MIL on first error.

What fuel pressure are you running? Are those injectors rated at 43.5psi or 58psi?

A log file with good data along with a wideband o2 sensor is a must to really see how this thing is running. I do not suggest getting into boost if you haven't really done alot of fuel tuning.
    ok I've made the suggested changes and its running good do I need theses enable checkboxes checked? and I have it dropping into low 11 under boost

Tuner in Training
    here is a log after and the tune I triedcomplete revision.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do more of the stuff I suggest in post 13.

Some things still need to be squared away so this tune is working right with the parts you are using. Like injector scaling and your IAT sensor problem.

Other things to note, disable your abuse mode to prevent that from causing issues. Also if this truck is running a stock converter, that will make it really lazy down low. There is no way around that fact, it's a small 4.8 with minimal torque and the converter holds it back. Needs a higher stall or a bigger engine to really make it take off.

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=5FDP;569065]Do more of the stuff I suggest in post 13.

Some things still need to be squared away so this tune is working right with the parts you are using. Like injector scaling and your IAT sensor problem.

Other things to note, disable your abuse mode to prevent that from causing issues. Also if this truck is running a stock converter, that will make it really lazy down low. There is no way around that fact, it's a small 4.8 with minimal torque and the converter holds it back. Needs a higher stall or a bigger engine to really make it take off.[/QUOTE

Thank you, can you expand on the IAT? I don't have one installed. When I started in this soon as I would plug it in the truck would go so rich that it would shut down. I tried to adjust everything behind that and found nothing made a difference. Any suggestion there?

I just purchased a 6.0l and 4l80 that I will be putting on a stand and building. this 4.8l im using to learn on.

Tuner in Training
    That data log doesn't really do much for helping.

Was anything that I suggested gone over?

You never answered some of the things about fuel pressure and if you failed the MAF correctly.

That log shows minimal data and you are missing or logging the wrong channels. You need to add commanded AFR, knock retard, injector pulse width avg for both banks, cylinder airmass. Remove the 1 bar MAP channel and replace it with the 2 or 3 bar MAP channel. Because right now the MAP channel stops at 105kpa and we can't see what it happening above that.

Your temp sensor is stuck at 120 degrees all the time, that is clearly a problem with the IAT sensor. Getting that figured out as well as part throttle fueling will help with a bunch of this.
    I'm sorry I looked back and from my phone I didn't see this. This is incredibly helpful ill start into making changes and reading inon it. thank you so much.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know how to calibrate the IAS. Are there tables or charts top go off of?

I am struggling to get the log to show pretty much anything. I changed the map channel but it is still stopping at 105. I feel like I must be missing something simple.

Tuner in Training

the injectors are rated at 43 and my pressure stays around 50 I did get the MAF fail set at 0 and the 3dtc are set to mil on first error do the ses check boxes need to be checked?