Thread: E38 Cam and turbo - No idle, what so ever?

Tuner in Training

E38 Cam and turbo - No idle, what so ever?

Hi,

Working on my first turbo project, only task is to get the car to idle so that we can check fluids and maybe drive it around the block.

I have never encountured issues with idle on a E38 before? It actually easier than a drive by cable to get to idle.

is it something special that need doing with the turbo? In term of getting the idle to work?

Can someone take a look at this tune to say if I missed something? I need to add that I tested several different amounts of final air minimum and blade area %
    This is just a stock tune now with updated injectors.

Stock LS3 with turbo, small cam and bigger injectors with the data from Deutchs. Theres absolutley no idle, its not even trying, as soon as I let of the pedal falls right down.

I have added 2g/s until Ive had 15g/s in the final air minimum cells, no difference. Also tried a different tune, with the same idle result.

I can easily keep ehr alive with the pedal, runs nice, a tad rich but nothing serious. It will go to the tuenr once we settled this, just need to get the fluids etc under control and
    make sure we dont have to do any mechanical work on her at the tuner shop.

BR Marcus
    Attached Files Attached Files

As far as idle is concerned that tune is stock. If its too rich that will make idling difficult. I would set idle rpm to 800-900 or even higher and keep increasing airflow until you can get it running and then start fine tuning it to where you want it.

Stock MAP sensor still?

Still running the MAF?

Post the modded tune and not the stock tune, need to see what you have changed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry attached the wrong file.

This is the one we tried with ( tested this with various g/s) No difference at all, not even a reaction to anything.

Its only to get the car to hold idle so that we can check fluids and leaks before the tuning sessions.
    Now Im also curious and want to learn as well..

Do you have a return style fuel system? Your IFR chart is set up that way, but your MAPvs INGV is set for a non return. You will want to change your MAP sensor and MAP settings to allow more boost before you go to the tuner.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Hi Lakegoat!

I went back to the stock injectors and stock injector data, it idles like expected! Also reacts to changes now.

This gives that my injector data is off?!

Its Deutsch PN: 16U-00-0090-8 90lbs/h

I have entered the injector data in this tune, from this xls sheet (got it from Deutsch).
    Can you tell me if its correct?

The fuel system look like this.
    Aeromotive_DualPhantom_EFI_Staged_dualrail_fuelsystemdiagram.jpg

I will let the tuner change to a 2bar OS later, I just want to be able to prepare the car for him as good as possible.
    Its not a stock MAP sensor, do I need to calibrate for it? Running in stock OS.
    Also to learn something on the way
    Last edited by LSSwapDenmark; 04-30-2019 at 04:44 AM.