Thread: A580 Nag1 transmission constant limp mode with 3800 stall and factory shift points

Tuner in Training

A580 Nag1 transmission constant limp mode with 3800 stall and factory shift points

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300c with a Nag1 that has a 3800 stall torque. I am not getting any codes that at least that I see. I do have factory shift points during normal driving. WOT shifts are increased though. Also, I disabled lockup until 5th gear. I'm thinking the tcm is having fits with the stock shift points. I will try raising them tomorrow. What are your thoughts?

Senior Tuner
    why would you ever leave the convertor unlocked until 5th??? Even fully locked it will be pretty loose. You will never complete a shift with that much play in the trans before the TCM RPM limit.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    why would you ever leave the convertor unlocked until 5th??? Even fully locked it will be pretty loose. You will never complete a shift with that much play in the trans before the TCM RPM limit.
    There's a post on page 2 of this forum titled '3000 stall NAG1 - share your experience'. There's a couple of individuals there had success in doing the exact same thing of leaving their converter unlocked until 5th. No mentioning of what you are speaking of.

Senior Tuner
    Well let’s do the math. Completely locked converter will stall to 3800 rpms. Locked to unlocked is generally a difference of 100-300rpms depending on power level. So you command a shift at say 6500 rpms in 4-5 shift which is a 1:1 gear and your motor should be around 6600-6800. Say hello to your engine rev limiter.

Glad you read that thread, but I would never recommend leaving it unlocked, get a lower stall and adjust shift pressures to deal with the issues raised in that thread

Tuner in Training
    Well let’s do the math. Completely locked converter will stall to 3800 rpms. Locked to unlocked is generally a difference of 100-300rpms depending on power level. So you command a shift at say 6500 rpms in 4-5 shift which is a 1:1 gear and your motor should be around 6600-6800. Say hello to your engine rev limiter.

Glad you read that thread, but I would never recommend leaving it unlocked, get a lower stall and adjust shift pressures to deal with the issues raised in that thread
    I am not trapping in 5th gear. My car will only go 135mph in the quarter in 4th. I'm not getting another converter dude. But thanks for your input.

Senior Tuner
    You’re being dense. I gave you the 4-5 gear shift as a simple example, every gear your engine will be 300+rpms higher than your output shaft speed which means you’re going to hit your engine rpm limit every gear change.

Not sure why you posted here? Leaving converter unlocked is your shifting problem. You don’t want to change that, then move on. Otherwise lock up the converter and move your shift points where you want them.

Tuner in Training
    You’re being dense. I gave you the 4-5 gear shift as a simple example, every gear your engine will be 300+rpms higher than your output shaft speed which means you’re going to hit your engine rpm limit every gear change.

Not sure why you posted here? Leaving converter unlocked is your shifting problem. You don’t want to change that, then move on. Otherwise lock up the converter and move your shift points where you want them.
    Wow....unbelievable! Did someone hack 06300SRT8? 06300SRT8 normally give helpful intuitive knowledge. Not this completely insulting, condescending rhetoric that's not helpful. This is a public forum where people ask questions. That's why I posted here, especially being transmission related! Did i anger you with my question? Lighten up! This is an internet forum. Not a bar! If you do not like my question, ignore it and move on. Life is good dude. Straight up. I hope you were hacked because I actually read resourceful posts from 06300SRT8. This is definitely unlike the typical posts he'd post. Perhaps administrators should take a look into this?

Senior Tuner
    Not hacked, I gave you the answer, you didn’t read it or didn’t feel like trying to understand, reread it and go fix your issue. Stop driving around like it’s 1972 with a non locking TC. And please don’t call me “dude” lol.