Thread: 2013 Ram fbo cam

Advanced Tuner

2013 Ram fbo cam

My buddy has this 13 ram RCSB with the 5 speed and a 5.7. He installed a 270 cam IIRC with a limiter. Well, I tuned the truck via speed density, everything is great. idles great in park and neutral, but just surges like a MF in drive or reverse. Once its moving its fine, but as soon as you stop at a light it surges up and down. between 700 and 1000.

I do all kinds of changes, mess with TB airflow, small range and large range tables. No change really.

I decide to change to stock the factory minimum spark tables and torque reduction tables under the spark tab. Well, after putting the factory values, the truck idles great in park and drive. The problem is as soon as you give it throttle input, the timing goes super negative, somewhere round -20. I have to set the minimum spark values around 10* for it to run fine. So it seems my problem is the min spark tables causing my surging issue, but as soon as theyre put to factory, i just get neg timing with the slightest bit of throttle. I go WOT, and it stays negative for a good 5 seconds, then all of a sudden the timing surges back to positive values. No KR. I've tuned 3 or 4 cammed dodges, this is the first time I see this.

Any clues? i have messed with absolutely everything i can think of. Every switch under auto trans tq management is disabled, as that is how the stock read came.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    WAYYYY too much timing in your part throttle spark, with an enormous cliff from 23 degrees down to 11-13. Thats the "surge" youre feeling.

Make the first 4 columns of your timing table literally all 14* or so, top to bottom, every cell, and then smooth the next three columns over for a smooth transition. Retest.

Senior Tuner
    Remember the idle system tries to ALWAYS run whatever timing is in your part throttle table, until idle exceeds the commanded idle speed, and then itll cut it back, but its dumb and slow, so itll overshoot. So your rpms flare up while it tries to use 23 degrees, then it cuts the timing back, rpms drop dramatically, and it uses the throttle to try to catch the dying rpms, cracks open the throttle, rpms start to climb, then it shoots it back to 23 degrees of timing, overshoots, rinse repeat.

Advanced Tuner
    It got significantly worse. Any other ideas?

Senior Tuner
    Raise your Idle->RPM->Maximum setpoint to 1200rpms.

Your Spark Minimum base table needs to not have any zeros, typically we set every value that has a negative to have positive 4* or so.

Senior Tuner
    and post your tune after you make the changes so i can track if its being done right.

Why is your AFR gauge reading 0.62 lambda? Is it really idling that rich?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    and post your tune after you make the changes so i can track if its being done right.

Why is your AFR gauge reading 0.62 lambda? Is it really idling that rich?
    no, wideband is not connected.

Fixed the issue ill post on what the solution was, you were close in regards to the timing table.

Quote Originally Posted by cesar View Post
    no, wideband is not connected.

Fixed the issue ill post on what the solution was, you were close in regards to the timing table.
    so what was the issue?

What was the issue? I'm having the same issue on a 2019 Scat pack.

Advanced Tuner
    cesar! what was the fix? hope none of the ford or gm guys got to you!
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.