Thread: Using a MPVI & MPVI2 on the same laptop

Potential Tuner

Using a MPVI & MPVI2 on the same laptop

Just bought a MPVI2 but would like to keep using my old MPVI on the same laptop. Please advise. Currently running version 4.0.12 if that matters.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Update to 4.2 or newer. You can run both.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

curious because Im a complete noob. Why would you need both? I bought the New MPVI2 but never had the MPVI so I don't know much about the differences.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty Cutty View Post
    curious because Im a complete noob. Why would you need both? I bought the New MPVI2 but never had the MPVI so I don't know much about the differences.
    MPVI1 is the older hardware, first released in 2006, very few customers have both an MPVI1 and MPVI2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    MPVI1 is the older hardware, first released in 2006, very few customers have both an MPVI1 and MPVI2.
    I have and use both on the same Laptop with 4.4.x

I use the MPVI2 on the Dodge line and the MPVI1 on the GM line. Do I need to click on anything on my HPT scanner so it knows im switching interface or repoll anything differant?

What the protocol for using the two interfaces on the same laptop.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Nothing special to my knowledge.

I?ve-used both on on same laptop no issues. finally sent both in to get my credits from mpvi1 transferred to new one. Had no issues both at same time.

So what happens when they transfer MPVI1 credits/licenses to MPVI2? I have a MPVI1 Pro (from early 2013) and it still works fine, I just needed the MPVI2 because of the support for newer vehicles (eventually want to get a 2020+ Explorer) and because my MPVI1 Pro is at my elderly parents' house and don't want to risk going over during COVID19 quarantine. Can I still use the MPVI1 Pro and the new MPVI2 to tune the vehicles for which I already have licenses? Or do I lose the ability to tune those vehicles with the MPVI1 once the licenses are transferred to the MPVI2?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    So what happens when they transfer MPVI1 credits/licenses to MPVI2? I have a MPVI1 Pro (from early 2013) and it still works fine, I just needed the MPVI2 because of the support for newer vehicles (eventually want to get a 2020+ Explorer) and because my MPVI1 Pro is at my elderly parents' house and don't want to risk going over during COVID19 quarantine. Can I still use the MPVI1 Pro and the new MPVI2 to tune the vehicles for which I already have licenses? Or do I lose the ability to tune those vehicles with the MPVI1 once the licenses are transferred to the MPVI2?
    when the licenses are transferred you don't get your MPVI1 back.

So all you'd have is an MPVI2 with all of your licenses on it.