Thread: Newbie Here! Quick (probably dumb) license question

Tuner in Training

Newbie Here! Quick (probably dumb) license question

Hello,

I am going to be putting a 5.3 ls into my 03 S-10. I would like to practice doing some tuning on the 4.3 that is currently in it.

My question is this. I will be using the S10's ECU on the new 5.3. If I purchase credits and license the current S10 configuration, will I have to purchase more credits when I put the 5.3 in? I know I will have to put in a cargo van base tune to get it running. I was told that because that tune will probably have a different vin associated to it that I will need to purchase additional credits to tune the new base tune.

Is this true or just someone trying to make money on me. I am going to send my Hp unit with the ECU to a company that will load the tune and adjust everything so the trucks original gauges, cruise and accessories all work like factory. Then when I get it back I'll be able to tune the truck to my satisfaction later without buying more credits. I have no problem doing that, but would like to practice first on the 4.3 before I pull it. Just don't really want to buy credits for a motor that I'm not going to keep when I'm done.

Any info is appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    So I was playing around in editor and found a 5.3 base tune that will work for my S10 ECU. I see how to change the VIN over to match my truck. Would this be the way to do it under 1 set of credits? Or am I going to have to copy and past all relevant Map info from 1 base tune to my original ECU tune? I've been poking around the software and can see how all this can be done, But don't understand the credit process. I think I'm going to load the tune for the 5.3 myself instead of sending it off. I just need to know the proper steps to do so.. I just can't afford to make a mistake and have to buy credits after credits because I'm doing something incorrectly.. This is my personal vehicle and plan on doing most of the basic tuning myself. I just can't afford to pay someone to do something I can hopefully figure out and do myself.

So to sum up. How do the credits work? I have a 4.3 s10 right now. I would like to practice tuning on it. I believe if I buy 2 credits I will be able to do so.
    I'm building a 5.3 for the same s10 going to be using the same ECU. When I need to reflash or download a base tune for the 5.3 do I have to buy more credits?
    Or since its the same ECU and same truck is it all set to go.

Can someone Help me answer this question?
    I know its only been a couple days, but I see HP people responding to other threads all weekend. am I in the wrong place?

Thanx in advance

Cory