Thread: Failed write = Detect protocol failed.....I'm lost

Tuner in Training

Failed write = Detect protocol failed.....I'm lost - SOLVED

I hooked up my 1999 Trans Am ECU to my bench harness and did some deletes (AIR, EGR, Rear O2), and tried to write the changes (Write Calibration) to my ECU. After about 5 or so seconds, it failed, and now every time I try to even just read the ecu, it says "Detect Protocol Failed". My harness is good, as I can read other ECUs just fine, but I'm really hoping that the ECU didn't brick on me 5 minutes after I spent 2 credits licensing it. I also let everything set disconnected overnight, hoping it would work after being off of power for a while, but no dice. Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: I have also tried to re-synch my MVPI2, and that didn't help. I can't click on "Gather Info" and de-select the high speed option because gather info option gives me the same protocol failed response. Thanks!
    Last edited by Thatguy8898; 05-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    were you doing a write cal only or write entire when it failed?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    were you doing a write cal only or write entire when it failed?
    I was doing a write cal only

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    should be able to recover it in that case, pull power for a minute or so and try flashing the file again.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    should be able to recover it in that case, pull power for a minute or so and try flashing the file again.
    I tried that. Let it sit overnight disconnected in the hopes that would fix it, but still the same issue.

Tuner in Training
    Problem resolved. I went into VCM Editor and opened the original tune file (without even attempting to read the ECU), and then tried writing the file to the ECU, and it took. I was then able to open the tune file with all the deletes saved, and write that tune to the ECU, and all seems to be good to go now. Thanks!