Thread: have some questions about getting hptuners

Tuner in Training

have some questions about getting hptuners

I have the SHIT JET DST and i'm not happy with it but do like the control its giving me. my question is if I buy a hptuner does it come with some classes or do I buy them after I get hp or is there a package deal that comes with all the info I need to learn? I am running a stock engine with a built 4l60e and built rear end with 3.73 gears. this is my first tuner I've had it for about a year now and trail and error with my knowledge of being a mechanic has helped but I need to learn more. I strive to know all I can about obd2 and have a major thirst for knowledge on this. some have been kind enough to help me out with my tuning but the help is limited to one person that also has the DST program. I ended up having to send my aldl cable back to JET so they could fix it. the wires had come out of the module and it hurt my ecm and they said its my problem. please help me to learn more, I know what to ask and can screen shot the tables to show you. I even have video that I made of what I have changed to my knowledge that I can put on my you tube channel or email the video to you. PLEASE HELP ME

My email address is [email protected]
    you can find my youtube channel by my email address

Tuner in Training
    please answer me by email cause its easier to answer and read from my phone
    thanks Neil Sullivan

You can purchase classes and the unit itself from "The Tuning School", they have several levels I believe. They even have a youtube channel that has several short video's about random things you can do with this product.

I'd suggest a book by Greg Banish called Engine Management Advanced Tuning. The book doesn't tell you how to tune but goes through many key aspects of how the engine works and how some of the things work together.

Alot of it will be seat time and reading to help you get used to how the scanner functions and how to work with editing tables to make it do what you need.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Banned
    Controversial tired asf right-before-and-in-bed post - incoming!

Don't waste your money on classes, books... Absolutely unnecessary to anyone (average guy who just wants to tune his car) with an IQ above 80.
    What exactly do you think you won't be able to understand? Reading a gauge? Raising your idle speed? Adjusting your fan settings? Clicking on "Save As" to save your edited tune?...
    Get HPT, load up the Scanner, click on everything, check out the options, descriptions... do the same with the Editor, edit one thing or two at a time to start things off, save it, Write/flash it, go for a drive with the scanner hooked up to see your results/changes/progress...
    Google anything you're unsure about.
    "hp tuners how to adjust..."
    "hp tuners what is..."
    "hp tuners dfco..."
    whatever. Just about everything you can imagine has been discussed before and answered, multiple times.
    Check out some youtube vids. All the info you need is there and here. And if you still can't find an answer to your question, ask it here.
    Other tips:
    - Before you use your scanner for the first time, add a tonne of parameters/gauges to your Channels list (right click over your list and click on "Add Channel". Channel = gauge). Timing advance, knock retard, throttle position... And save that Channel Config. More info the merrier.
    - Don't bother touching your "Main VE" table. A lot of people here mention it to noobs and make out like you need to tune it and/or start by tuning that... Just no. Forget it. It does nothing (I assume you're running a MAF). MAF Calibration is where it's at. Bumping up the numbers = richer. Lower = leaner. There are other fuel-related tables too (like Power Enrichment, EQ Ratio...). Yes, MAF is air related but it affects your fuel.
    - Getting a wideband is a waste of time, effort, hair on your head and money, unless you have a tonne of hp, a charger or two and want your tune (AFR at WOT / in open loop) to be (near) 100% spot on. All the posts I've read here tell me they're just not worth it and you can use your stock narrowbands to get your tune to 97.2831% spot on. Good enough. Probably more accurate than 5-10% of DIY tuners who use widebands (with all their calibration issues and what not).

In short,
    All the knowledge you desire and questions you want answered can be found on the internet. No books and classes required.
    Last edited by Mr. Smith; 05-07-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Removed the word "ratio".

Tuner in Training
    i have watched many youtube videos and asked many questions, I just want to learn all I can with a better tuner