Thread: ZO6 vs Camaro 8L90

ZO6 vs Camaro 8L90

The ZO6 8L90 TCM calibration has significantly faster downshifts, over .2 seconds faster in some high torque areas compared to the SS 8L90. I tried to use these shift times in my camaro and it starts to tie up the shifts, particularly downshifting into second you can feel it almost double shift and it will kick TC/stabilitrac on. I am thinking since we don't have access to the preset pressures, maybe the ZO6 8L90 has more preset value on an offcoming clutch, but after driving awhile it keeps on tieing up and will not learn around it. So does anyone know if there something physically different between the camaro and corvette 8L90?

Potential Tuner
    Great question I would like to know as well, also do you have a good non ZO6 tcm tune that is working on the camaro 8l90e? Would like to check out what others are using for downshift times, like pressure, etc

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by goohead View Post
    Great question I would like to know as well, also do you have a good non ZO6 tcm tune that is working on the camaro 8l90e? Would like to check out what others are using for downshift times, like pressure, etc
    You can see my current one I'm using.

My honest opinion is that all the tables we have access to in the TCM are basically placebo. Especially when it comes to shift times. I think there are numerous other tables (which there are a lot we don't have access too) that control the functions we need and shift speed and feel. The adaptive parameters always seem to learn it back to its same habits of inconsistent shifting, unnecessary hard shifts at low throttle, inconsistent WOT and high throttle shifts (especially the 3-4). I can't imagine the reason GM would make an exclusive OS for just the Corvette 8L90, unless there are mechanical differences in the Corvette and Camaro versions that I am not aware of, maybe there are mechanical differences in the Z06 version that enable the faster shifting and especially faster downshifting.

It seems like anything I do or change it either feels the same, feels good then after a while it learns back to bad habits, or it was just placebo effect. Without solid quantifiable data, it is kind of pointless to try to change anything. Fifty Tune TCM Modified.hpt