Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VP tune light throttle smoke

Banned
    In engine, go to "Diesel Fueling", "Governors" then "Air Density Governor". From 2400 rpm up to 3600 rpm set all those cells to the 159.986 mm3.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    What sort of benefits do you see with the vp tune?
    Sounds like a 12V/VP truck

Banned
    Here's the file with the cells raised in the air density table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Sounds like a 12V/VP truck
    No reliability, power, or mpg benefits?
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Banned
    It?s all about sound. Warmup time is a bit quicker.

Tuner
    To be honest Noah, I started working on a VP tune just because my other tunes are set just how I like them and I wanted another tuning project. I dont have enough miles on a VP tune to know for sure, but so far I think my fuel economy has improved. Ill get back when I have a few tanks through it with some real mpg numbers. Personally I love the 47re type shift and lockup points. My 48 would go into 4th at 35Mph and then lock up at 50Mph, a 47re goes into lockup at 35Mph and then grabs 4th at 50Mph. I think having the converter locked earlier is going to help with fuel economy too. I guess overall the biggest benefit for me is the sound, I love the sound of a second gen dodge, and this is as close as ill get with my 3rd gen.
    2004.5, built 48re, Fass lift pump, s364.5 with a s483 compounds, ARP studs, 103# valve springs, 110hp injectors, 669hp 1075ftlbs

Banned
    Well I dunno, my 47RE doesn?t behave quite the way this is set up lol. But I?m also running larger tires on it with uncorrected speedo gear plus I think it?s getting ready to crap out on me. On my ?12 I?ve noticed zero difference between what I run with pilot and what I run without pilot for mpg. Spoil up was slightly laggier compared to with pilot, some tweaks to the charge flow tables and VGT position tables helped with that though.

Jim, i tried a copy and paste with the tune you built for jball.. Truck runs well, but lots of smoke. I don't think i can do a direct upload from the file you gave him correct? I also have an 04.5 with tv cable.

Banned
    The tune I posted is linked to his VIN so no. There?s other stuff edited in that tune file that you can?t see from what HP Tuners has shown in the tabs for parameters, mainly for cranking and I think transmission. That tune is meant for stock or near stock(50hp injectors).

The tune I posted is linked to his VIN so no. There?s other stuff edited in that tune file that you can?t see from what HP Tuners has shown in the tabs for parameters, mainly for cranking and I think transmission. That tune is meant for stock or near stock(50hp injectors).
    Gotcha. Did he get it running well? I also have 50hp injectors. Would be curious what he thinks of it.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Banned
    Think ran decent for jball. With your high altitude it would probably need some adjustments. You are running a larger turbo though too aren?t you?

Think ran decent for jball. With your high altitude it would probably need some adjustments. You are running a larger turbo though too aren?t you?
    Correct.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,