Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VP tune light throttle smoke

Tuner

VP tune light throttle smoke

I recently started to make a vp tune for my 04.5, got it running great and starts up perfect, but I have a light haze with light throttle when a leave a stop sign. Ive tried messing with the boost limit table to the point where the truck is a complete turd before boost, but it still has a haze. I tried using the part throttle gov with no change. I tried the smoke limit table too with no luck. Ill attach my tune, if anyone has any pointers id appreciate the help!VP tune.hpt
    2004.5, built 48re, Fass lift pump, s364.5 with a s483 compounds, ARP studs, 103# valve springs, 110hp injectors, 669hp 1075ftlbs

Banned
    Here is a pure VP tune. This is your tune file edited, flash this file to your truck. Don't do a compare and copy or much will be left out that helps make it run the way its intended to.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Calculated load went down anywhere from 4 to 8% on a short test drive back to back with my tune and the one you posted. Was I trying to do too much with the timing? I was trying to add more timing in the cruise area that apparently I didnt need. The haze almost completely went away, so thats great too! Ill be able to data log a longer drive tomorrow after work. Few things I noticed though, should I back the rail pressure down to 160 Mpa? The tune you posted goes up to 175Mpa. Also, I like the converter locking in 3rd and holding 3rd gear longer, but 2 times it didnt unlock when I slowed down so I had to pull it out of gear.
    Last edited by jball217; 05-06-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    2004.5, built 48re, Fass lift pump, s364.5 with a s483 compounds, ARP studs, 103# valve springs, 110hp injectors, 669hp 1075ftlbs

Tuner
    Changed the trans tuning back to stock and realized the drop in calculated load was from it being in 3rd gear at 35mph where as the stock trans tuning is in 4th. I like holding 3rd gear longer, kind of like a 47re does, ill just need figure out the lockup side of things. Anyway with the pure VP tune in 4th at 35 it actually has 2-4% more calculated load than my first tune.

Banned
    Like I said, load it as is for everything to function as it?s supposed to

Banned
    There is a pile of background tailoring in it. Unless you have specifically what I changed you won?t get everything ?as stock? on that file.
    Last edited by Jim P; 05-06-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Tuner
    So am I still trying to tune it for the lowest calculated load at a certain speed? And do you have any clue why my truck would stay locked up for so long?

Banned
    You can play with the rail, pulsewidth and timing. Keep timing no less than 8*BTDC and rail no less than 65.5MPa.

The lockup, that?s how that specific tune is intended to be, developed for someone else with a near stock bone stock truck.

Banned
    There?s a pile of background changes on the engine and trans that you can?t see

Tuner
    My trans might have something to do with it, about a month ago I fully built it, triple disk converter, billet shafts, the whole 9 yards. The builder at the shop I work at did some pretty trick stuff with my valve body, it doesn't act like a stock truck at all. Was that tune made for a TV cable 48re or one with the actuator on the trans?

Banned
    Actuator TV

Tuner
    Mine has the cable, damn 2004.5... Ill see if I can make lockup in 3rd release faster, your thread on 48 tuning is helping me, especially where you explained that HP tuners messed up on the description of the 3-4 and lockup tables. I really appreciate the help!

Banned
    Yea if you don?t have the actuator motor on the TV it won?t work quite right for shift timing and firmness. If you want the lockup release changed you won?t be able to do it with the tables you see. Yea HPT does have some visible tables that aren?t quite right or way off. Do you have a specific rpm you want it off? It?s set with stock tires and gearing to release at 1200 engine rpms.

Banned
    The trans tuning on that file was ran on a heavily built 48RE but the model with the tv actuator and non-constant pressure valve body, was damn near spot on for the guy other than a small window on throttle position due to him running 35?s it caused a little bit of gear hunting. 3-4 and 4-3 just a little too close for 35?s in one spot.

Banned
    There is a completely other set of lockup tables that have to do with closed throttle that?s setup to release at 1200 engine rpm on closed throttle, that?s probably what you are experiencing. Holding lockup helps with trans temps and transition smoothness when going from off throttle to on throttle, keeps it from unlocking and locking back up constantly when on and off the throttle and aids in speed control when coasting, especially down hill.

Tuner
    Look at this log at time 4:03.000, this is when it almost stalled out and the truck was pulling hard with the converter locked up. It shows 501 rpm, 98% load and it was still locked up. A 1200 rpm unlock would be perfect.
    Pure VP tune, early tire and back.hpl

Banned
    I?ll take a look in a little bit. That?s definitely too low. Through testing I?ve found you don?t want it to remain locked up below 1200 engine rpm. Depending on gearing and tires you could probably do down to 1100 ok but I don?t recommend below 1200. I?ll see what I can do for you there once I see the log

Banned
    Definitely can see it didn't release when it should have there. Can you add output shaft speed into another log so I can see that and I'll do what I can to fix that up. You should be able to add that PID to your channel to log. The rail pressure is fine to leave as is in the upper end, near that 175MPa, won't hurt it. As for the haze you were having, probably mostly the timing, where you were dropping down to 4* and some areas were high for sure. While it's a single event tune true and through, like it won't even have pilot on startup and has been tested to start just fine as low as 32*F, started warming up in the mornings a lot when that tune was being built. Keep in mind the differences between the P pump, VP and the CR as far as spray angles, piston bowl design, and the list can go on on a bunch of differences, the CR doesn't need such high timing as the P pump and VP pump can have in the low end/cruise region, etc.

Banned
    Try this one, tweaked the closed throttle lockup stragedy slightly.

Tuner
    Ill put that tune in the truck tomorrow and get a good data log of 0-60 light and heavy throttle. I have output shaft speed on my data log, maybe Im scanning the wrong pid though (SAE vs SCI I think?). I know we all have the scanner set up a little differently.