Thread: LFX/E39 Is this ECM considered a GEN V design?

Tuner in Training

LFX/E39 Is this ECM considered a GEN V design?

Just what constitutes a GEN V system anyway?

From what I can tell, the LFX has direct injection and continuously variable cams. Does this make it a GEN V?

The reason I am asking is for the other changes made in the GMLAN protocols. I have a third party manufactured BCM used for paddle shifting my 6L50. It is also supposed to support the native Cruise Control function in the ECM, but we are currently troubleshooting why it won't enable.

I sniffed out the GMLAN start up sequence in a 2012 Camaro with the identical drive train and sent the manufacturer the file. He replied that there are elements of a GEN V system in the file. The more I think about it, the only thing lacking are 2 cylinders.

Can anyone expand on this?

Tuner in Training
    I just found this article that explains a lot about the E39 theory of operation. It explains while some have had problems setting the rev limiter and why tuners are seeing differences in accelerator pedal input and throttle body position. It also points the way to a new tuning strategy.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...vanced_e78.htm

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by djwarner View Post
    Just what constitutes a GEN V system anyway?

From what I can tell, the LFX has direct injection and continuously variable cams. Does this make it a GEN V?

The reason I am asking is for the other changes made in the GMLAN protocols. I have a third party manufactured BCM used for paddle shifting my 6L50. It is also supposed to support the native Cruise Control function in the ECM, but we are currently troubleshooting why it won't enable.

I sniffed out the GMLAN start up sequence in a 2012 Camaro with the identical drive train and sent the manufacturer the file. He replied that there are elements of a GEN V system in the file. The more I think about it, the only thing lacking are 2 cylinders.

Can anyone expand on this?
    "Gen V" generally refers to the current V8s which are essentially Gen IV plus DI. That's an engine family. Having said that, "Gen V" engine controllers use the same software code base that the LFX uses (which has its roots back to the first E39 that came along in 2010), though it has changed year over year since then. Hope that helps.