Thread: 2 Bar MAP sensor question

2 Bar MAP sensor question

Folks,

I have a LS1. If I swap my 1 Bar MAP sensor for a 2 Bar do I need to program the computer right away or can I do it a week or so later? So is it basically backward compatible if using the 2 Bar as a 1 bar? Thanks.......I do know that if I want to benefit from it then I need to update to a 2 Bar OS in HP Tuners and adjust a few tables. I just want to do this a little later

Advanced Tuner
    You need to adjust the PCM when you install it or the readings will be off. You can install a 2 Bar MAP sensor without using it for boosted applications (no reason to except if you're planning on boosting in the short-term), BUT you have to adjust the scaling and offset in the PCM at the same time. Can do this on the stock OS and then upgrade to the 2Bar or 3Bar OS later (stock OS will just "run off the end of the tables" if you go over 100-105kPa).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    You need to adjust the scalar and offset as soon as you replace the sensor. Engine off / key on with a 1 bar map sensor is around 4.9 volt output. Engine off/key on with a 2 bar is around 2.5v let's say. If you run a 2 bar and don't change the calibration it's going to think your ambient pressure is about half of what it really is and will throw off any table that uses MAP as a reference. If on a speed density tune I'm almost certain it wouldnt even run.

With GM 12615136 I run scalar 200, offset 8.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    You need to adjust the scalar and offset as soon as you replace the sensor. Engine off / key on with a 1 bar map sensor is around 4.9 volt output. Engine off/key on with a 2 bar is around 2.5v let's say. If you run a 2 bar and don't change the calibration it's going to think your ambient pressure is about half of what it really is and will throw off any table that uses MAP as a reference. If on a speed density tune I'm almost certain it wouldnt even run.

With GM 12615136 I run scalar 200, offset 8.
    Perfect...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tabbruzz View Post
    Perfect...thanks
    Aaron,

Where do you add these values?

Under the airflow tab, it says MAP linear and Offset.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Under the airflow tab, it says MAP linear and Offset.
    Ok, those reading are in Kpa so it would be linear 200kpa and 8kpa offset?

Now, If I wanted to remain with my current tune and not go speed density yet( I may do SD when I get to my tuner next week as he will try using the MAF, which is my preference, but he will go to SD if the MAF is not cutting it.... So my plan was simply to add a 2 Bar cobolt sensor but only change the 200\8 setting. Is this possible? Will my current map table which has a ceiling of 105kpa still work fine and not be affected with my current OS and only the two changes mentioned. See if the MAF is sufficient then I will not change my OS to 2 bar SD as my PO1 computer only has 2bar SD as an option. I will remain with the new MAP sensor even though I am not taking advantage of the map table up to 210kpa. Yes, you may ask why not just go SD, but I am still on the fence as do not plan to go anything more then 500rwhp or 10psi on my 99 vette with a vortech. I know it can be tuned with the MAF and 1Bar map sensor.........So am I off base here?