Thread: 1999 Mustang GT Computer swap.

Potential Tuner

Question 1999 Mustang GT Computer swap.

I'm looking for a little expert advice on this one, since i don't want to waste 100 dollars for credits that might not work. i have recently bought a 1999 Mustang GT that had a bad computer in it (reasons unknown). I bought a used computer out of another 1999 model. I installed it into my car and was able to pull a stock file off it, but when I clicked the "read" button to read the computer i had to manually put then VIN into it. After the read was done a message popped up and said that there was no VIN assigned to it, and that it would generate a VIN so that i could license it. That being said, if i buy credits and license it with the generated VIN would it work? i don't want to spend the 100 dollars just to have to take the computer out and have to pay to have it re-flashed by a dealership and then pay again for more credits for it. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Advanced Tuner
    Usually you have the computer flashed with as built data which will allow input of vin and current mileage by ford, i have a j2534 box from drewtech that allows me to purchase the calibration/as built data from ford and flash the pcm/bcm/tcm ect, that cost me$50 each time or pay for a subscription. i have this issue before i called SCT and gave them vin number they added to a template and sent me a new file to upload. As i am still learning HP's way of doing business it will cost you 2 credits to license the pcm with generated or original vin, unless i am mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxman123211 View Post
    I'm looking for a little expert advice on this one, since i don't want to waste 100 dollars for credits that might not work. i have recently bought a 1999 Mustang GT that had a bad computer in it (reasons unknown). I bought a used computer out of another 1999 model. I installed it into my car and was able to pull a stock file off it, but when I clicked the "read" button to read the computer i had to manually put then VIN into it. After the read was done a message popped up and said that there was no VIN assigned to it, and that it would generate a VIN so that i could license it. That being said, if i buy credits and license it with the generated VIN would it work? i don't want to spend the 100 dollars just to have to take the computer out and have to pay to have it re-flashed by a dealership and then pay again for more credits for it. Thanks in advance for the help!!
    I had one car with replaced ECU - done by someone else. I did a read and it went through. When I tried to write it popped a window asking for VIN
    but there was nothing I could change. Clicked OK and it flashed. It had a correct VIN in tune afterwards - no clue where HPT got that VIN from, probably from BCM.