Thread: basic tuning questions

Advanced Tuner

basic tuning questions

There still doesn't seem to be a whole lot of support for these cars, as well there seem to be modifiers and maps missing. Recently we tried increasing the boost up to 22psi, this did take some time and the only table we found success in was ECM ID [14857], after increasing DC% by a seemingly unrealistic amount we finally achieved a maximum of 20psi (give or take a little depending on weather) I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong. Attached is the most recent file on the car. If anyone has any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated!

more bewst3.hpt

Tuner
    DC% changes are not needed at all to increase boost. I can't view the file myself at the moment but if you're having difficulty then chances are you're not familiar with anything in regards to tuning these cars and likely doing something wrong indeed.

What do you feel is missing?
    What is the table you speak of?

More than 20-21 psi is not going to be doable unless many maps are changed. But you should not go to or beyond this anyway unless you have the proper mods.

What year and transmission? What all mods? What fuel?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    DC% changes are not needed at all to increase boost. I can't view the file myself at the moment but if you're having difficulty then chances are you're not familiar with anything in regards to tuning these cars and likely doing something wrong indeed.

What do you feel is missing?
    What is the table you speak of?

More than 20-21 psi is not going to be doable unless many maps are changed. But you should not go to or beyond this anyway unless you have the proper mods.

What year and transmission? What all mods? What fuel?
    I've requested more load, raised pressure limits and anything else I saw that seemed related to load limiting that would prevent it from achieving more boost so I'm not 100% sure where I went wrong as when I started with the car I made small changes sequentially. It's a 2013, manual trans, intercooler, BOV, downpipe, on 93.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txtailtorcher View Post
    I've requested more load, raised pressure limits and anything else I saw that seemed related to load limiting that would prevent it from achieving more boost so I'm not 100% sure where I went wrong as when I started with the car I made small changes sequentially. It's a 2013, manual trans, intercooler, BOV, downpipe, on 93.
    Not sure what mods you have exactly due to generic listing but especially on a 13 on 93 you do not need to push that much boost anyway. You also want the least boost spike possible to live a longer happy life. They'll pop quicker than the late 14 and newer VT.

Now, a 13 VT with proper mods, fuel, and tune can still make good power but it takes more than it does on the late 14 and newer cars.

If all you did was raise limiters to load and pressure to increase boost that is not a good idea. Many other maps need to be changed or you can get a higher boost at stoich scenario that will kill the already weak engine in the 13 VT.
    Last edited by trdtoy; 05-09-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Potential Tuner
    As trdtoy said, you should not be making DC changes to raise boost. I will look over the file when possible.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Not sure what mods you have exactly due to generic listing but especially on a 13 on 93 you do not need to push that much boost anyway. You also want the least boost spike possible to live a longer happy life. They'll pop quicker than the late 14 and newer VT.

Now, a 13 VT with proper mods, fuel, and tune can still make good power but it takes more than it does on the late 14 and newer cars.

If all you did was raise limiters to load and pressure to increase boost that is not a good idea. Many other maps need to be changed or you can get a higher boost at stoich scenario that will kill the already weak engine in the 13 VT.
    If you could provide some direction I would appreciate it. The main request I've been hearing is "24" psi on 93 with meth.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes1 View Post
    As trdtoy said, you should not be making DC changes to raise boost. I will look over the file when possible.
    If you could please, I'd appreciate it.

Potential Tuner
    If you could provide some direction I would appreciate it. The main request I've been hearing is "24" psi on 93 with meth.
    Request from who?

Tuner
    Screw requests, worry about safety. And 24 psi on 93 + meth is not safe on a 13 really unless highly modded which this car is not. 24 psi is not even great on a stock turbo either especially up top.

There still doesn't seem to be a whole lot of support for these cars, as well there seem to be modifiers and maps missing. Recently we tried increasing the boost up to 22psi, this did take some time and the only table we found success in was ECM ID [14857], after increasing DC% by a seemingly unrealistic amount we finally achieved a maximum of 20psi (give or take a little depending on weather) I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong. Attached is the most recent file on the car. If anyone has any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated!

more bewst3.hpt
    If you are messing with WGDC, it sounds like there is either a boost leak or the factory wastegate solenoid (WGS) is faulty.

Ok, so 2013 MT. Need a detailed list of all power-affecting modifications.

Which intercooler?
    Which blowoff valve?
    Which downpipe?

A scanner log would be helpful; WOT 3rd gear pull from 2800 to 6800 ideally.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-10-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Using the history function, I'm able to see what you changed.

14803 - Compressor Overspeed (PR limiter) is jacked up unnecessarily high. Put this back to default for now.
    14802 - PR Limit based on Compressor Outlet Temperature is set to 6:1. You will never get anywhere near even 4:1 (default) so put this back to the original value.
    14848 - Wastegate Canister Pressure to Duty Cycle - Another unnecessary increase. Put this back to default.

Not going to comment on fueling or timing as they're adequate for now (could be improved).

Now we get to the real reason you're not making enough boost. You have not even touched the Torque Model maps. These are what produce power (boost). Make small incremental changes in the high load & high RPM areas and test.

As the others have stated, 24 PSI is a bad idea, especially without sufficient rigorous/overzealous maintenance and foundational mods.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-10-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for the multiple post about it but trying to get as many eyes as possible on it. I have a '13 with a '14 engine and looking to get my tune in the next couple weeks. I need to find someone with a mpv2 in Michigan if possible. I need my "read" info log so I can send it to hptuners to see if they need to unlock my ecu before we tune it. Its 2.5hrs one way and hate to make the trip just to turn around and have to go back home because I have to wait to get it "cracked"

Why not buy your own? I believe it can be set up as a slave device so your tuner can send you updates over time, plus you could tweak some things yourself.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-27-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Any update on this, @txtailtorcher?