Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transbrake for hp80??

Advanced Tuner

Transbrake for 8hp70 ??

Was curious if anyone knew a way to get the transmission to work as a trans brake like the demons have from factory?? Would this even be possible?? I dont know why someone with more knowledge than me could figure how to make this work assuming its just in the programming. I may be way off but im sure someone with more knowledge than me might be able to shed some light on this for me? WE already have lauch control and just need two gears locked a same time to hold the car in place.. Maybe its in the BCM??? i dont know just guessing, but if you could find how it works on the demon then why couldnt you adapt that to the HP80?? Or hellcat for that matter Maybe the guys over at Zautomotive have found a way...
    Last edited by FstdodgeKY; 09-24-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I highly doubt this is possible. It's like trying to add launch control (controlled by headunit via performance pages which communicates with PCM and I think BCM) to a vehicle that does not have it from the factory.

Advanced Tuner
    That sucks, I did just notice that the hp guys got something similar to work on the mustang cars will have to get a link up.

Advanced Tuner
    So im going to bring this thread back from the dead just to see if anything has changed. I have done some homework on this and so it seems that the 1320 challengers are running the same trans (8hp70) as the scatpacks. These 1320 cars come factory equipped with the trans brake. So this even furthermore leads me to believe that its not to far to think that somehow we might be able to gain access to this feature?? The transmission only holds first and second gear clutches together unlike the traditional trans brake so one would think that programming the tcm would be possible??? Im sure someone here has had access to the 1320 PCM/TCM and maybe could shed some light if there is any control over this feature in hp tuners??? I know this is a long shot but you gotta have dreams.... Maybe the folks over at Z Automotive could help with this??? Wouldn't that be cool to see the two company's come together to offer this....

Sorry Admin feel free to move this over to the transmission fourm
    Last edited by FstdodgeKY; 09-23-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Wrong fourm

Quote Originally Posted by FstdodgeKY View Post
    So im going to bring this thread back from the dead just to see if anything has changed. I have done some homework on this and so it seems that the 1320 challengers are running the same trans (8hp70) as the scatpacks. These 1320 cars come factory equipped with the trans brake. So this even furthermore leads me to believe that its not to far to think that somehow we might be able to gain access to this feature?? The transmission only holds first and second gear clutches together unlike the traditional trans brake so one would think that programming the tcm would be possible??? Im sure someone here has had access to the 1320 PCM/TCM and maybe could shed some light if there is any control over this feature in hp tuners??? I know this is a long shot but you gotta have dreams.... Maybe the folks over at Z Automotive could help with this??? Wouldn't that be cool to see the two company's come together to offer this....

Sorry Admin feel free to move this over to the transmission fourm
    This is something I've looked into a bit.
    It's not super straightforward to do, and the transbrake offered by Dodge is quite limited in its use and tunability in my opinion.
    There are parameters in quite a few ECUs that need activation as well to provide functionality.

I think a solution a la what we did on the Mustang 10R80 is far more likely. That'd provide actual use to the end user, including features Dodge's transbrake does not provide.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Advanced Tuner
    Is this something that might be available in the near future?? Or should I not hold my breath.... I can only speak for myself when I say even the limited use of factory transbrake would be a great start and possibly lead into something bigger. Either way keep doing what you guys do. Thanks

I'm interested as well even if it's the stock demon version .

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe it is a BCM thing like launch control. For the longest time I though adding launch control was not possible but I was able to program the feature with alfaOBD. I just hope they update their software to uncover features for +2018 models.

https://www.challengertalk.com/threa...-trans.678125/

Advanced Tuner
    Alfaobd just enables stuff that's already hiding in there, right?
    So your statement about 2018+ would be very true since before 2018 the trans brake was not available.

Unless you can load 2018 stuff into an older application?

Advanced Tuner
    It might show it but you probably won't be able to change the config yet. My co-worker's 2018 SXT shows a red key feature which I don't see on my 2015 RT BCM and that was using the My2015 powernet ECU setting. Although, I did not check if there was a configuration to allow me to set it to enable though. Wonder if a MY2018 powernet setting would be needed for the latest models?

Advanced Tuner
    Homer i have been following along with your launch control, but it never crossed my mind that we might be able to do the same with the trans brake setting.. This is outside of my abilities but if someone could figure this out i'd say you could make some money....
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Advanced Tuner
    If I did not have a manual I would be all over it. You will also need reads from a challenger with trans brake equipped if you want to even have a chance at trying to enable it.
    Last edited by Homer; 03-02-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Soooo.. if i could get a tune off say a 1320 challenger? then maybe i could see if the tables are there for trans brake?? If so would you be able to adapt a pre-2018 pcm to work? The first year for 1320 with the hp70 was 2018 correct???

Advanced Tuner
    What other "Tools" would be needed to make this work?? I here alot about Alfaobd???? would this be needed?? and would i need to pull the BCM info to see if its in there???

Advanced Tuner
    Hp tuners was not used when I enabled launch control. Just used alfaobd and an OBDlink MX+ dongle. I would grab a read of the bcm, ecm, and abs modules. You might need a read via hp tuners of the pcm and tcm as well...more info is better than not enough.
    Last edited by Homer; 03-04-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Transbrake would be nice. Ford guys get all the fun with the new 10 speed. Currently have a twin turbo hellcat and this would definitely make it easier to build boost and not push through the brakes.

I believe a company out of Australia figured out the transbrake for the ZF 8speed but not specifically for the dodge platform.

Potential Tuner

Done it and can repeat it

I took a 2016 challenger, 3.6 to 6.4 with every option including performance pages, dyno graphs, drive modes, valet mode and launch control and all are fully functional. If I can get my hands on some further information I believe I can get the line locks as well in the future. The transbrake has to be a part of the software available in the transmission but after that it's aligning the rest of the car to want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I highly doubt this is possible. It's like trying to add launch control (controlled by headunit via performance pages which communicates with PCM and I think BCM) to a vehicle that does not have it from the factory.
    Last edited by 300SRT; 08-08-2021 at 04:05 AM. Reason: adding specificity

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 300SRT View Post
    I took a 2016 challenger, 3.6 to 6.4 with every option including performance pages, dyno graphs, drive modes, valet mode and launch control and all are fully functional. If I can get my hands on some further information I believe I can get the line locks as well in the future. The transbrake has to be a part of the software available in the transmission but after that it's aligning the rest of the car to want to do it.
    What interface/software did you use Alfaobd, HP tuners or witech? What info are you looking for? I managed to unlock launch control with Alfaobd once I figured out the chassis type number. Here is how I did it.

https://www.challengertalk.com/threa...-trans.678125/

I can also get performance pages BUT once uconnect gets a signal thru it gets disabled again.

BTW I highly doubt you can get transbrake to work on a 2016 model without swapping modules/trans.
    Last edited by Homer; 08-11-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    This is something I've looked into a bit.
    It's not super straightforward to do, and the transbrake offered by Dodge is quite limited in its use and tunability in my opinion.
    There are parameters in quite a few ECUs that need activation as well to provide functionality.

I think a solution a la what we did on the Mustang 10R80 is far more likely. That'd provide actual use to the end user, including features Dodge's transbrake does not provide.
    Is there any chance that this is going to come to our cars yet?

As someone with a physical disability that prevents me from safely foot braking like everyone else, an option like this would be a godsend for my days at the track.