Thread: Programming new e38 ECM using HP TUNERS

Tuner in Training

Programming new e38 ECM using HP TUNERS

I'm looking to swap my ecm with a new one in my 09 Silverado but GM wants $305 for the unit and $145 to program it to my truck. I'm hoping to get a new ecm and program it myself if possible because i'll have to buy credits anyways. Does HP Tuners let us do that and how would i do it? There isn't much info in the forms about this but a common issue. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!

For a brand new blank ECM it needs to have the initial calibration flashed with dealer-type tools, or tools that can perform the same functions (Chinese Tech2 clone, MDI clone, etc.).

What is the Service Number you need? Honestly, I'd find a used one from one of the ebay sellers that offer to program it with a dealer cal that matches the VIN you supply. Buying a new blank one and then buying even the cheapest MDI clone setup to program it yourself would cost about the same as having the dealer do it, and that's not counting the 'cost' of your time spent figuring out how to make all the software work with the fake MDI (it's not always easy).