Thread: Need a bit of advice on ANN - 392 with a mild - big CAM

Tuner in Training

Need a bit of advice on ANN - 392 with a mild - big CAM

Guys,

I need a bit of advice. I'm very new to tuning but have been putting in a lot of time and effort reading through hundreds of threads learning and applying what I have interpreted. I'm still waiting for my Tuning School Book set to arrive and could not help myself to tweak a lot of settings based on what I have read. I have successfully managed to get my Jeep to start and idle with a big custom grind cam. All this with VVT and ANN disabled.

As I mentioned I'm very new to tuning, but not scared to learn. Now this is where I really need your help...
    I have the cam detail and want to transfer that now to VVT and ANN settings so that I can try to see if I can get ANN doing most of the number crunching. Note that I have learned a great deal on IPW tuning and have setup my VCM scanner to help me tune that. I have also changed the resolution of my INJPW which is seemingly working fantastic.

I need a bit of guidance on adjusting cam parameters in my "Variable Camshaft" and "Neural Network" tabs.

Attached my current tune (I still need to do a lot of work on my VE & SPARK tables) but before I do, want to check just how well ANN can do the job.

2013 Jeep JKU8 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) Base 1.9 (Beta).hpt
    CompCam 1.jpg
    CompCam 2.jpg

I would greatly appreciate any help that any of you can offer. Note that a lot of my parameters across my file have been adjusted from all things that I have read from so many people... hence if you see anything obviously wrong, I would be humbled by more advice and expertise.

Mouritz
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 05-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I can take a look at it on my free time and help out .

Senior Tuner
    That is a very healthy cam for a 392, do you have any other mods like CNC heads? I assume you at least upgraded the springs/retainers to accommodate the duration and lift.

Is the car running or is this a startup tune for the new cam?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MITuning View Post
    I can take a look at it on my free time and help out .
    MITuning. Would really appreciate that.

Latest Tune file attached.

2013 Jeep JKU8 392 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) Base 2.4 (Beta).hpt

Oh, please note I don't have my TCM tune in the file... Filename a bit misleading...
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 05-13-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    That is a very healthy cam for a 392, do you have any other mods like CNC heads? I assume you at least upgraded the springs/retainers to accommodate the duration and lift.

Is the car running or is this a startup tune for the new cam?
    Hi, the car is running currently without ANN and VVT enabled. Still playing a lot with all the parameters. Only recently switched on "Sensed MAP" and disabled "Baro Learning" ;-)
    Idle is near perfect with one exception. When I slightly press on the throttle in P/N it will surge up and down between 1000 to 1700 rpm... but when I move it into gear it is absolutely perfect ;-).
    The only other thing I have noticed is that it sometimes surge a bit under the target RPM target on a slight incline whilst stopping. The engine does however not stall... which tells me I must be close to the right airflow at zero throttle... Still have much to learn and still waiting for my Tuning School book-set to arrive.

Note I still have not really done any proper VE and Spark tuning so far... will get there, but have done a few small tweaks.

Appreciate any help that you can offer... and also a BIG THANKS to all the tips and hints all over the forum... Yes I have been following all your responses and have learned a great deal.

I have a 2013 Jeep JKU fitted with a 392 Hemi married to the original W580 NAG1 gearbox.

Mods include:
    LT Tri-Y custom headers
    Comp Cam (Custom grind) + Cam Phaser
    Manley Valve Springs
    Hellcat Lifters
    Ported Heads
    MDS Delete
    90mm BBK TB
    4:10 gear ratio
    35" Tyres

I still need to figure out a way to drop my IAT significantly... Working on a custom intake for that.

Attached my latest tune and log file:
    2013 Jeep JKU8 392 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) Base 2.4 (Beta).hpt Oh, please note I don't have my TCM tune in the file... Filename a bit misleading...
    19-05-13 22-59-36.hpl
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 05-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Smooth out your Part Throttle Spark table vertically in the lower rpm ranges, you have a big spike as the airflow increases, no need for that, car doesn't need to make power at such a low rpm and aircharge. That should help the touchy throttle while in P/N. It also looks to need a little LESS timing overall, if you watch your spark it barely ever goes up to your commanded (14-15*) but is constantly pulling back to keep the rpms down where you want them.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks you very much... Already in the editor doing this ;-)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JWM_Jankowitz View Post
    Guys,

I need a bit of advice. I'm very new to tuning but have been putting in a lot of time and effort reading through hundreds of threads learning and applying what I have interpreted. I'm still waiting for my Tuning School Book set to arrive and could not help myself to tweak a lot of settings based on what I have read. I have successfully managed to get my Jeep to start and idle with a big custom grind cam. All this with VVT and ANN disabled.

As I mentioned I'm very new to tuning, but not scared to learn. Now this is where I really need your help...
    I have the cam detail and want to transfer that now to VVT and ANN settings so that I can try to see if I can get ANN doing most of the number crunching. Note that I have learned a great deal on IPW tuning and have setup my VCM scanner to help me tune that. I have also changed the resolution of my INJPW which is seemingly working fantastic.

I need a bit of guidance on adjusting cam parameters in my "Variable Camshaft" and "Neural Network" tabs.

Attached my current tune (I still need to do a lot of work on my VE & SPARK tables) but before I do, want to check just how well ANN can do the job.

2013 Jeep JKU8 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) Base 1.9 (Beta).hpt
    CompCam 1.jpg
    CompCam 2.jpg

I would greatly appreciate any help that any of you can offer. Note that a lot of my parameters across my file have been adjusted from all things that I have read from so many people... hence if you see anything obviously wrong, I would be humbled by more advice and expertise.

Mouritz
    Now about that guidance on adjusting cam parameters in my "Variable Camshaft" and "Neural Network" tabs...
    Ultimately I would like to try ANN and VVT with my setup if that is possible for my application.

As always appreciate any guidance here.

Mouritz

Tuner in Training

Mass to be delivered

Hi,

Just want to ask if it is important to keep these parameters standard or should I start with setting all 8 cyl to 1.0

Capture.JPG