Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 CTS V Sport 3.6L TT V6 transmission Aisin TL80-SN

2016 CTS V Sport 3.6L TT V6 transmission Aisin TL80-SN

So after being told this transmission was supported I was now told it is not. What a bummer. Can someone elaborate as to why it isn't supported? The ECM is so I am grateful for that. It would be nice to understand it and possibly get some resources thrown it.

Potential Tuner
    I also have a VSport and I would love to have support for the trans as well. I believe it's really holding back the car. We are stuck with using Trifecta , which most people use because they tune the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstacts View Post
    I also have a VSport and I would love to have support for the trans as well. I believe it's really holding back the car. We are stuck with using Trifecta , which most people use because they tune the trans.
    It would be awesome if we did have the option to tune the transmission. I am not even sure trifecta is actually tuning the trans. I would bet people think it is tuned because of course when you tune the engine the torque tables are changed and that makes the trans shift differently too. I am not saying the can't or don't have a way to but it seems unlikely and HPT should be able to get this done if anyone can.... Come on @HPTuners!

Potential Tuner
    I?m in for something new. .

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tune2mbt View Post
    It would be awesome if we did have the option to tune the transmission. I am not even sure trifecta is actually tuning the trans. I would bet people think it is tuned because of course when you tune the engine the torque tables are changed and that makes the trans shift differently too. I am not saying the can't or don't have a way to but it seems unlikely and HPT should be able to get this done if anyone can.... Come on @HPTuners!
    I had their tune on my vsport, they definitely tune the transmission. I don't care how much torque table hacking you do, you can't make downshift tip-in points more aggressive that way.

Well that is reassuring then. I would think that the devs @HPTuners would be able to get us some support here soon. I am really not a fan of canned tunes.

Potential Tuner
    Is there any news about support for the VSport yet? It's ridiculous, it's been a good 6 years and nothing. This platform has so much potential and the only tune available is ... no where peak potential and holding us back to say the least with false transmission rumors and not willing to further the platform due to that. Is swapping a different transmission the only way to advance this platform?
    This same transmission is holding up 800 hp in other cars, how is it that people are able to tune those transmissions but not the ones in the VSport? Am I missing something here? It's the same transmission used in a few cars that can be tuned.
    What went wrong with the VSport? How is it any different?

Quote Originally Posted by jdpx View Post
    Is there any news about support for the VSport yet? It's ridiculous, it's been a good 6 years and nothing. This platform has so much potential and the only tune available is ... no where peak potential and holding us back to say the least with false transmission rumors and not willing to further the platform due to that. Is swapping a different transmission the only way to advance this platform?
    This same transmission is holding up 800 hp in other cars, how is it that people are able to tune those transmissions but not the ones in the VSport? Am I missing something here? It's the same transmission used in a few cars that can be tuned.
    What went wrong with the VSport? How is it any different?
    I actually sold my V Sport because of the lack of trans support. One of two scenarios could be likely. Is it possible HPT has a deal with the competition to not release the trans tuning to the masses? I am not making accusations but this could be a possibility. Or maybe the competition really does have a super secret way of tuning these transmissions.
    Third scenario is that the production numbers for these cars are very low comparing to other platforms and there is not a whole bunch of money to be made on this platform because its just math. It is rather disappointing because the car really is a FUN car and has plenty of potential. Trade it in on the ATS-V and have tuning for both engine and trans or swap which didn't make sense to me and there are no guarantees the ECU/TCM would play together nicely.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tune2mbt View Post
    I actually sold my V Sport because of the lack of trans support. One of two scenarios could be likely. Is it possible HPT has a deal with the competition to not release the trans tuning to the masses? I am not making accusations but this could be a possibility. Or maybe the competition really does have a super secret way of tuning these transmissions.
    Third scenario is that the production numbers for these cars are very low comparing to other platforms and there is not a whole bunch of money to be made on this platform because its just math. It is rather disappointing because the car really is a FUN car and has plenty of potential. Trade it in on the ATS-V and have tuning for both engine and trans or swap which didn't make sense to me and there are no guarantees the ECU/TCM would play together nicely.
    Yeah, what also pisses me off is the only company (that I will not name that provides) a decent tune for this car also started the whole rumor of the transmission not being capable of taking more to begin with, which is clearly false. At this point I have multiple sources to back it up that I reached out to. Their basis for this is the transmission slipping and nothing else, when Aisins are known for that in many different cars and trucks when pushing a good amount of power. Yet they still hold up, even this same transmission in the Lexus's for the past few years now at 700-800 hp. A bigger fuel pump, lobe, E85, higher PSI on the turbos could turn this car into a monster, not to mention ATS V turbos, or hybrid turbos that can probably do more than the engine can.
    To top it all off, that company claims they can tune the TCM yet offers no support to us when just trying to push the psi higher, and logs are encrypted so that's pretty nice.

Very disappointing. It's probably going to take a few of us to figure things out later this year

Yeah, what also pisses me off is the only company (that I will not name that provides) a decent tune for this car also started the whole rumor of the transmission not being capable of taking more to begin with, which is clearly false. At this point I have multiple sources to back it up that I reached out to. Their basis for this is the transmission slipping and nothing else, when Aisins are known for that in many different cars and trucks when pushing a good amount of power. Yet they still hold up, even this same transmission in the Lexus's for the past few years now at 700-800 hp. A bigger fuel pump, lobe, E85, higher PSI on the turbos could turn this car into a monster, not to mention ATS V turbos, or hybrid turbos that can probably do more than the engine can.
    To top it all off, that company claims they can tune the TCM yet offers no support to us when just trying to push the psi higher, and logs are encrypted so that's pretty nice.

Very disappointing. It's probably going to take a few of us to figure things out later this year
    It would be great if someone else would release a tool for this. It's a great platform that not many people pay attention to. There is no $ in it for them. I am sure the list is long for support from HPT but I figure if someone else did it, HPT damn sure can...

Potential Tuner
    Put me on the list. I want TCM support for my VSport.

Advanced Tuner

I was a beta tester with "that company" before and I can assure you the transmission starts slipping if you go much beyond what their tune produces. They are not interested in frying people's transmissions, so I'm not surprised they won't "support" this. What really needs to happen here is someone needs to figure out an 8L90 swap, that would solve it all.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    I was a beta tester with "that company" before and I can assure you the transmission starts slipping if you go much beyond what their tune produces. They are not interested in frying people's transmissions, so I'm not surprised they won't "support" this. What really needs to happen here is someone needs to figure out an 8L90 swap, that would solve it all.
    Well since you know what tune I'm referring to then , basically the only viable canned tune, it's great to reply and say there's great results so far with a highly reputable tuner pushing for more like never before, making history, proving their BS transmission claims false as which are even being puppeted here as well as on the Facebook groups, there were people that have gladly wanted to "fry their transmissions" and were not helped, people do infact push the "rated limits" on basically every platform including ATS V and CTS V3, so that's not a plausible excuse, no one knew what those transmissions could hold until they kept going forward.

This is probably since the VSport market is dead in general, and since it's the only viable tune it's a good cash grab without putting in extra work revising the tune while also not risking reputation, many have bought into their "thousands of hours of pushing the car to the absolute limits" claim which also don't help any progress or morale, any competent tuner would know this transmission has held up to 800 hp in the supercharged ISF's as it slips away like a CVT just fine. The transmission is designed to not shift at full torque to save lifespan and wear and tear, it's definitely not as close to it's absolute limits as we were misled to believe before with their basic near stock tune, as for slipping it sometimes even slips stock which is normal across many Aisins, you'd think a tuner that tunes vast amount and wide range of vehicles would know that considering it's pretty widespread knowledge with Aisins in general lol and I knew this for a while considering a few people have pushed much further than what we were given in the past, and they questioned these claims as well, but people would be brainwashed by this mainstream tune so much that they'd immediately be attacked and invalidated.

From my personal experience they haven't even been able to fix their own tune with shift points when requested support, yet they claim to be able to tune the TCM which is ironic in this case, and we already know no one can access these Toyota transmissions, not hptuners, not tunercat, nobody, on the other hand the transmission seems to be able to adapt on its own and shifting tricks can be done through the ECM which is what they've probably done all along, and their "auto calibration support" for higher octane show gives no gains reportedly which it should if they claim to auto calibrate octane and timings, which looks like more marketing garbage when people have tried race fuel with no gains, claim of no gains is also being proved false because realistically they do and results are being made on higher octane naturally just like ATS V's on a proper tune, they love octane and timing.

The time will come for a lot more info and real results later , so far it's looking very promising, it's very exciting just seeing it happen, see it be possible, see bigger turbos work, and possibly more people will go into bigger mods for the first time in many years of zero progress, and fuel upgrades, things like downpipes that we were told would never be needed and showed to have no gains (because the tune wasn't much of anything), will most likely be needed on a car with major mods, bigger turbos, etc, and because these cars are finally getting out of the starting point of a tune, this tuner deserves all the credit he can get just for helping us out, all of the progress and results are his and because of him, otherwise it would've never happened due to the misinformation, due to the monopoly, due to big name tuners not caring about this platform.
    Last edited by jdpx; 08-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Tuner
    Trifecta uses tunercat os I believe... so you can check there to see if it has trans capabilities or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty View Post
    Trifecta uses tunercat os I believe... so you can check there to see if it has trans capabilities or not.
    Incorrect. They have their own in-house solution. I got one of their engineers on the phone before I gave them my money. That ltz350 guy is spreading a bunch of BS about them, they cracked the TCM on their own. I verified it myself, they flash the TCM with an updated calibration.

Advanced Tuner
    Well since you know what tune I'm referring to then , basically the only viable canned tune, it's great to reply and say there's great results so far with a highly reputable tuner pushing for more like never before, making history, proving their BS transmission claims false as which are even being puppeted here as well as on the Facebook groups, there were people that have gladly wanted to "fry their transmissions" and were not helped, people do infact push the "rated limits" on basically every platform including ATS V and CTS V3, so that's not a plausible excuse, no one knew what those transmissions could hold until they kept going forward.
    Well, apparently you'll have to find someone else to help you "fry your transmission" then.

Tuner
    02059D5B-DF42-48E4-9D2E-040E6EB5C6E4.jpg
    Incorrect. They have their own in-house solution. I got one of their engineers on the phone before I gave them my money. That ltz350 guy is spreading a bunch of BS about them, they cracked the TCM on their own. I verified it myself, they flash the TCM with an updated calibration.
    e

Trifecta does not take phone calls. They are notorious for it.

And yes they do use tuner cat. Even tuner car says they supply their product to them.
    Last edited by fifty; 09-07-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Potential Tuner
    "The post relives"

This is probably since the VSport market is dead in general, and since it's the only viable tune it's a good cash grab without putting in extra work revising the tune while also not risking reputation, many have bought into their "thousands of hours of pushing the car to the absolute limits" claim which also don't help any progress or morale, any competent tuner would know this transmission has held up to 800 hp in the supercharged ISF's as it slips away like a CVT just fine. The transmission is designed to not shift at full torque to save lifespan and wear and tear, it's definitely not as close to it's absolute limits as we were misled to believe before with their basic near stock tune, as for slipping it sometimes even slips stock which is normal across many Aisins, you'd think a tuner that tunes vast amount and wide range of vehicles would know that considering it's pretty widespread knowledge with Aisins in general lol and I knew this for a while considering a few people have pushed much further than what we were given in the past, and they questioned these claims as well, but people would be brainwashed by this mainstream tune so much that they'd immediately be attacked and invalidated..

In reference to the other 800 hp cars with Aisin TL80SN, there could be some misinformation. There has been some information that I came across that stated that there are different variations. The base trans being rated at about 402 ft lbs of torque, then the version built for Cadillac to support the output of the 3.6TT, and either another high capacity version. I had suspicions about the 800hp trans....that it IS an Aisin 8 spd, but possibly not really the TL80/AA80E but the TR80SD. It's been about a year I think since I ran across the TL80 info though. The transmission i mentioned, I saw on an Aisin website (https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/produc...lineup/at.html). I never did dig into the Lexus forums and whatnot to see if I could confirm if anybody was mistaken about what trans they had. The website lists the TL at 583 ft lbs though. So much conflicting info.

I decided to search while I was typing this. Here's a copy/paste from a post comment on clublexus forums:
    - "Here's another couple that discuss the new GM offering as a replacement of the Aisin unit, the Aisin being limited to installation into the CTS V-Sport: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014...0821-8l90.html
    and http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ission-117211/

Even the V-Sport's Aisin unit includes additional clutch plates and heat treatment of some parts to handle its 430lb-ft." -
    end of copy/paste

There was more than just someone's comments/replies that I read similar information about the 400+ torque capacity ratings. It was a pdf document, if I remember correctly, that included the statement. Just don't remember where I found it.

I have yet to experience any slip, neither stock nor with the 3fecta cal for about 2 years so far and mine sees 120-140mph almost daily (in Mexico). Only some poorly timed shifts when the trans did not hold a gear long enough in sport or track while modulating throttle and it immediately had to downshift once or twice exiting a few sweeping curves because it upshifted while still holding steady throttle.
    Last edited by Couga95; 09-08-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: had to log back in and didnt post correctly

Potential Tuner
    Fancy claims for being able to "verify" this yourself yet being also being a normal customer of theirs, pick one, either you can verify it yourself, or be one of their regular customers, they're not going to show anyone how they do it and prove to a regular customer they can access said TCM (if they could), this was already discussed many years ago that they aren't going to reveal their "secrets", although I'm not surprised considering that these are the claims and games that have been played in the vsport community for many years pushed by them, at this point it's pretty certain to believe they cannot access the TCM, and TCM access is not required to tune these cars as they cannot fix basic issues of customers which I won't go into details about how many people have been screwed and on their own when they've had issues, even air intakes they can't seem to get right after plenty of revisions.

I've been watching people have incredible results and very soon another big name tuner will be entering the scene, I believe a vsport is already in the works there as well.

They do use tunercat, and to add everything ltz350 said in the past and questioned these claims since you have the audacity to say he was spreading lies, he actually had great results before he got rid of his car so far, and every claim of his is proving to be spot on along with what he said the stock turbos can boost/peak. ltz350 is also the one that pushed for 2.0's to get tuned another 100-200 hp where big name tuners like Trifecta to name one claimed 30-40 hp max were possible lol I believe that may still be the case, considering ltz350 is also a transmission rebuilder and looked into these Aisins, I'd trust his word over some corporation pushing false claims.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Couga95 View Post
    So much conflicting info.

There was more than just someone's comments/replies that I read similar information about the 400+ torque capacity ratings. It was a pdf document, if I remember correctly, that included the statement. Just don't remember where I found it.

I have yet to experience any slip, neither stock nor with the 3fecta cal for about 2 years so far and mine sees 120-140mph almost daily (in Mexico). Only some poorly timed shifts when the trans did not hold a gear long enough in sport or track while modulating throttle and it immediately had to downshift once or twice exiting a few sweeping curves because it upshifted while still holding steady throttle.
    I agree, there's definitely a lot of conflicting info, at one point there seemed to be a .pdf about our trans too, but that seems to have vanished off the aisins website unfortunately, as far as slips I'd also agree with you that I also have not experienced any slipping, although few vsport members have noticed "slipping" once or twice, not sure what that's all about, it could most likely be wheel spin and rpm bounce which they might confuse with trans slip, just poorly timed shifts here and there including with a "TCM" tune, but that goes for automatic transmissions in general, it's not going to behave like a manual
    Last edited by jdpx; 10-06-2020 at 01:38 PM.