Thread: So am I wasting my time?

So am I wasting my time?

I don't seem to get much response to my posts about tuning vve. My e38 ecm does not have the 2 bar patch available so I am stuck with vve. I just spent all afternoon doing pulls and trying to just get it right under boost. It's better but still not right. So back to my question, is it not possible to tune this correctly? This is the 3rd year of fighting this thing.

Advanced Tuner
    If you are unable to upgrade to a 2 bar os then im afraid your stuck with the vve and using coefficients which is my biggest issue personally. I choose to run maf only but thats a personal preference. If you prefer to use vve thats perfectly fine but you could enable the maf above 3k or 4k or whatever you want and use that for wot fueling to have the fueling stay consistent and then be using both vve/maf for normal driving making it to be a blend tune. otherwise your stuck with the coefficients making adjustments because you must populate them to move forward with changes
    Last edited by TCSS07; 05-14-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    As long as its truly a plug and play operation. Never used them so i dont know if you need to send in yours and they program it to that ecm or if that ecm comes with a base tune file to which you need to do a vin relearn and then start tuning but yeah if its a plug and play and offers the 2 bar os like you want to gain a actual ve chart instead of the vve then that is what youd want to get
    Last edited by TCSS07; 05-14-2019 at 08:33 PM.

I had one for awhile but I bricked it flashing a tune when my laptop crashed. I sent him my vin and I paid extra to get a base tune in along with my injector data. I used it for a month before the crash. I still have the base tune.

Advanced Tuner
    sometimes the ecms can be saved by getting the dealer to do a replace/reprogram event on the ecm using base software from gm. ive done it a couple times on some cars where the battery died half way during a flash. not saying it would work for you but it might be worth a shot but if not then i guess youd have to get another ecm and you could just flash your base file onto that one and then start tuning but you will most likely have to re license it because its a different ecm

Ok, I think I will just order a new one. My dealer here in town sucks. Thanks for your help!

Advanced Tuner
    You can get pretty accurate tune on maf only if you're boost is pretty linear. Also if you stay using vve, compare the difference in percentage before and after calculating coefficients. Sometimes it works against you. Also make sure it jives with your data log after calculating. I use excel as a before / after diff sanity check.
    Last edited by itsdaveonline; 05-17-2019 at 09:16 AM.