Thread: Noob looking for guidance on 2005-5.3 L33 tune

Tuner in Training

Noob looking for guidance on 2005-5.3 L33 tune

Hi Everyone!

My first post and new to tuning so go easy on me please. I am however, no stranger to all things automotive, and have a basic grasp of much of what is being discussed as it pertains to what is being done when stock tables and programming are modified(would not have bought this otherwise). I'm excited to get into doing this, not just for myself, but for many of my pals who need this sort of thing done.

I just got HP tuners, and have been learning what I can using searches and watching youtube videos. I read the attached tune that was installed in my 05-GMC This was a mail order from 5 or 6 years ago. My 5.3-L33 is stock otherwise. i thought this one was as good a place as any to start learning, and I do understand that I need to datalog and see what is actually happening with this tune under load conditions.

Also, are the following the main tables I want to concentrate on? I've seen Main VE, High octane spark advance, power enrichment EQ, and various torque management areas mentioned as places that usually could be addressed to start for improvement.

With all that said, I was wondering if any of you LS tuning gurus could take a look and point me in the right direction regarding this tune. Is it good, bad, other? Any guidance is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    kind of a joke that mail order tune. good for anyone that doesnt know shit about tuning but for you...your going to find out quickly how those modifications didnt really compare to you making a full ecu correction.
    the current fuel correction over stock was a ve table bump but the maf sensor was left stock and it overrides the ve table at 4000 rpm. they set the stoich to 14.2 which is common for e-blend fuels so no big deal there, and the pe table is a tad rich but not in a commanded range that will hurt you. 12.3-12.5 is a good starting range and they start around 12.2 and it dives down to 11.9.
    most of their "gains" come from a revamped ignition table and reduced effect of ignition modifiers.

if you want it to run really well get a wideband installed. command open loop sd and start making ve table changes. if you want you can make your pe a little bit leaner to fall in the more common afr range. the current ignition maps arent bad so id leave them alone and check for consistent reoccurring knock along the way. once all your fueling is set you can come back and redo the ignition last if you desire.
    once your all set you can reactivate the maf and tune that in before reactivating the trim system for closed loop.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I want to clarify a few things to be sure I'm grasping what you are saying so sorry if my questions seem clueless

the current fuel correction over stock was a ve table bumpIf a VE % goes up would the PCM look at this table and increase or decrease fueling? Would this happen only below 4000RPM? Also open or closed loop or both?

but the maf sensor was left stock and it overrides the ve table at 4000 rpm. Are you talking about modifying the calibration for the MAF or something else?

they set the stoich to 14.2 which is common for e-blend fuels so no big deal there, and the pe table is a tad rich but not in a commanded range that will hurt you. 12.3-12.5 is a good starting range and they start around 12.2 and it dives down to 11.9. I think I got most of what you're saying here, but what is meant by commanded range?
    most of their "gains" come from a revamped ignition table and reduced effect of ignition modifiers.

if you want it to run really well get a wideband installed. command open loop sd and start making ve table changes. if you want you can make your pe a little bit leaner to fall in the more common afr range. the current ignition maps arent bad so id leave them alone and check for consistent reoccurring knock along the way. once all your fueling is set you can come back and redo the ignition last if you desire.
    once your all set you can reactivate the maf and tune that in before reactivating the trim system for closed loop.[/QUOTE]The VE table changes would only affect part throttle correct? Unless I disable the PE as well?

think of the ve table as an airflow table. your modeling the engine airflow so by increasing numbers you are telling the ecu there is more air in that position and as a result the computer will command more fuel. (richer) {this is the same operation for the maf calibration}
    since the maf becomes active at 4000 rpm the changes on the ve table that lie below the 4000 rpm activation window will be effected by these newer values.
    i would get a wideband installed and change the tune to run in open loop SD (maf disabled)
    by commanded range i am stating the range in which the pe afr is set, does not include values that are so excessively rich as to induce running issues. all you would see is a power loss from being richer than necessary.

the pe table is activated by a set of adjustable parameters, typically map sensor threshold, tps % threshold, and load % thresholds. depending on how the ecu is set up, maf and ve are used bellow the threshold values as unmodified. once all the thresholds are exceed the pe table is used to command an alternate stoich fuel ratio and whichever table (ve or maf) is active, that table will be used, along with an internal enrichment factor, to command a desired output of enriched fuel. Since the pe table commands a stoich ratio change it is referred to as a target afr table and thus we set our target and then leave it be. The internal enrichment factors cant be changed which means under enrichment states the only adjustable parameters become the ve and maf tables. The factory oxygen sensors get ignored during pe enrichment mode so the only way to correct the pe fueling error is to install a wideband. due to the wide range of accuracy that widebands have...we typically shut the factory sensors off and use the wideband to adjust the entire range of the ve and map tables because it becomes accurate in normal fueling and enrichment fueling modes. basically the sensor reads an accurate afr and the ecu tells us the commanded afr. comparing the two in teh scanner using afr error equation, we can compute fueling error at any point in the fuel tables.

i added more definition than i think i needed to but if anything else is confusing you from my statement just let me know.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=cobaltssoverbooster;571183]think of the ve table as an airflow table. your modeling the engine airflow so by increasing numbers you are telling the ecu there is more air in that position and as a result the computer will command more fuel. (richer) {this is the same operation for the maf calibration}On the MAF, if I increase the g/s airflow numbers, then the Hz output from the MAF will be offset thereby also increasing fueling?
    since the maf becomes active at 4000 rpm the changes on the ve table that lie below the 4000 rpm activation window will be effected by these newer values. OK, understood.
    i would get a wideband installed and change the tune to run in open loop SD (maf disabled)I don't have the pro version, so can't input it to the VCM scanner, or is there a way to input Wideband readings another way? Or just watch the readings while datalogging?
    by commanded range i am stating the range in which the pe afr is set, does not include values that are so excessively rich as to induce running issues. all you would see is a power loss from being richer than necessary. Overall question here, it seems like we want to lean out AFRs to make more power within safe limits. Then why the alterations to increase fueling to the PE or Maf? I understand the need to increase it when more air comes in(ie modifications to the engine)

Again, thanks for the help!

Yes maf calibration value increases also increase fuel output.
    You can input a wideband signal through the egr port. There is a write up in here somewhere talking about it.
    You never know what these guys goals really are. Everyone tunes differently but I know for fact the all motor ls does not appreciate 11.9 afr. It very much so enjoys 12.3-12.5

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLT4 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

My first post and new to tuning so go easy on me please. I am however, no stranger to all things automotive, and have a basic grasp of much of what is being discussed as it pertains to what is being done when stock tables and programming are modified(would not have bought this otherwise). I'm excited to get into doing this, not just for myself, but for many of my pals who need this sort of thing done.

I just got HP tuners, and have been learning what I can using searches and watching youtube videos. I read the attached tune that was installed in my 05-GMC This was a mail order from 5 or 6 years ago. My 5.3-L33 is stock otherwise. i thought this one was as good a place as any to start learning, and I do understand that I need to datalog and see what is actually happening with this tune under load conditions.

Also, are the following the main tables I want to concentrate on? I've seen Main VE, High octane spark advance, power enrichment EQ, and various torque management areas mentioned as places that usually could be addressed to start for improvement.

With all that said, I was wondering if any of you LS tuning gurus could take a look and point me in the right direction regarding this tune. Is it good, bad, other? Any guidance is appreciated.
    Where did you get on this tune anywhere?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Claimingthe808 View Post
    Where did you get on this tune anywhere?
    4 year old post... he might answer hes still active

Advanced Tuner
    Your tune looks to be a slight step ahead from a mail order tune i downloaded from a LOCKED pcm. If i couldnt do any better than this one i probably would hide my work as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    Your tune looks to be a slight step ahead from a mail order tune i downloaded from a LOCKED pcm. If i couldnt do any better than this one i probably would hide my work as well.
    Hahaha ive got several neslon tuned PCMs that looks like a beginner tuned. Id be ashamed to charge folks that much to only change a couple tables then lock the pcm.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm sure they are identical to the one I have.

Tuner in Training
    To answer the question "did I get anywhere with this tune"? No, it was a tune I paid for on a very stock truck that I wanted to use to help me understand what changes were being made and why. In that respect, this did help me. Additionally, I want to point out this truck has ran great on this tune for around 10 years. The body on it is falling apart, but truck still runs great. I turned my tuning efforts into other projects. I've learned a lot, and continue to do so with a lot of asking and searching these forums. Still trying to wrap my brain around gen 5 DI stuff!

Lots of folks are in here tearing the tune apart as being not so great! It would be beneficial if they were to specifically call out which tables they would have modified and how on a mail order tune for a stock truck?
    2000 S10 Blazer 2WD 5.3L Summit 8719 cam -209 int./217 exh. with an LS6 intake and 4L60E trans

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLT4 View Post
    how on a mail order tune for a stock truck?
    you cant mail order tune an engine.
    you can get a datalogger and send that info to someomne and they can modify a tune and do that 10 to 50 times and you can get a decent street tune that way, but there is no way you can send your ecm to someone and get it back tuned for your vehicle. They can adjust timing and fuel for a generic tune, but, no two engines will take exaclty the same 'tune'
    i hope that answers what you asked or i got way off base..