Thread: Best Training/Course for new Tuners??

Best Training/Course for new Tuners??

I have been a mechanic for the Air Force for a little over a decade now but I am completely new to the tuning side of things. I got into this because the Trans Am I put together got a shit tune and then the guy stopped responding to me, so there went several hundred bucks... anyhow, I have always wanted to get into the tuning aspect of things but this was my nudge to go ahead and bit the bullet and I bought the new MPVI2 PRO and now I need to learn how to use it correctly. I know that the tuning school is out there and it's an option but what else is out there as pertains to training/course options for someone who works fulltime and has 3 kids that do sports 4-5 nights a week? As always, there are budget constraints as well. I'm not trying to break the bank but I also want quality material so that I can learn as much as possible. If anyone has had a good or bad experience with training, please throw it out there. any info is greatly appreciated.

It seems to me The Tuning School spent a great deal of time compiling very concise instructions on how to safely use the software. All that information is already out there, on forums, youtube and whatnot. Are you willing to spend the time searching or do you want the raw deal?

If it's any consolation I'm in the same boat and don't want to throw down the cash for the course. Another option could be to find a local tuner that's willing to show you the ropes at a speed shop or dyno place or what have you. If those guys make their livelihood on it you can bet they know what they're doing over some Internet goon.
    2004 Silverado 1500. 6.0 LS swap. 243 heads. Trick flow 30602003 cam. TBSS intake manifold. Long tube headers. And an MPVI2 to make it all work together.

Tuner in Training
    The tuning school is good i bought the online course and book and it seems like im doing good so far tires of getting ripped of by tuners that aint tuners

Tuner in Training
    The Greg Banish books and videos are a great source for understanding the process. An excellent training manual is from Ed Mowton at ermperformancetuning.com.

Jon

Tuner in Training
    I just finished the Banish book Engine management / advanced tuning. It was very well written and helped me with a great deal of understanding.

Tuning School. From start to finish process you can follow and have great results.

Banned
    Ugh. Repeat/repost from just 14 topics below:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Don't waste your money on classes, books... Absolutely unnecessary to anyone (average guy who just wants to tune his car) with an IQ above 80.
    What exactly do you think you won't be able to understand? Reading a gauge? Raising your idle speed? Adjusting your fan settings? Clicking on "Save As" to save your edited tune?...
    Get HPT, load up the Scanner, click on everything, check out the options, descriptions... do the same with the Editor, edit one thing or two at a time to start things off, save it, Write/flash it, go for a drive with the scanner hooked up to see your results/changes/progress...
    Google anything you're unsure about.
    "hp tuners how to adjust..."
    "hp tuners what is..."
    "hp tuners dfco..."
    whatever. Just about everything you can imagine has been discussed before and answered, multiple times.
    Check out some youtube vids. All the info you need is there and here. And if you still can't find an answer to your question, ask it here.
    Other tips:
    - Before you use your scanner for the first time, add a tonne of parameters/gauges to your Channels list (right click over your list and click on "Add Channel". Channel = gauge). Timing advance, knock retard, throttle position... And save that Channel Config. More info the merrier.
    - Don't bother touching your "Main VE" table. A lot of people here mention it to noobs and make out like you need to tune it and/or start by tuning that... Just no. Forget it. It does nothing (I assume you're running a MAF). MAF Calibration is where it's at. Bumping up the numbers = richer. Lower = leaner. There are other fuel-related tables too (like Power Enrichment, EQ Ratio...). Yes, MAF is air related but it affects your fuel.
    - Getting a wideband is a waste of time, effort, hair on your head and money, unless you have a tonne of hp, a charger or two and want your tune (AFR at WOT / in open loop) to be (near) 100% spot on. All the posts I've read here tell me they're just not worth it and you can use your stock narrowbands to get your tune to 97.2831% spot on. Good enough. Probably more accurate than 5-10% of DIY tuners who use widebands (with all their calibration issues and what not).

In short,
    All the knowledge you desire and questions you want answered can be found on the internet. No books and classes required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Ugh. Repeat/repost from just 14 topics below:
    What happens when your MAF fails? Trust me i love tuning with a MAF i'ts great and EZ but you should fail/turnoff your maf and tune just VE so you're in the ballpark IMO. That way you and get home if your MAF does die. Not saying you can't run on stock VE tables, but i think it's smart to see how your car likes stock VE tables with your mods.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    What happens when your MAF fails? Trust me i love tuning with a MAF i'ts great and EZ but you should fail/turnoff your maf and tune just VE so you're in the ballpark IMO. That way you and get home if your MAF does die. Not saying you can't run on stock VE tables, but i think it's smart to see how your car likes stock VE tables with your mods.
    a) You buy another one and replace it.
    b) You'll still be able to drive your car.
    c) What happens if your MAF never fails? You just wasted your time.
    d) My post is for HPT noobs. They don't need to immediately worry and learn about tuning their VE. They can do everything else first. Things that matter. But some people on here act as if you HAVE TO tune your VE first and it's the most important thing. Which is ridiculous.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm liking HP Academy classes.

I would disagree that everything is available for free by searching.

How much time do you want to spend sifting through Billybob's version of how to tune that may or may not even be correct?

So far, I have found more incorrect information than correct information when searching the net.

Don't trust everything you read on forums or in groups.

If you don't have a wideband, you don't know anything other than stoich, or "richer than stoich" or "leaner than stoich". You really need to know more than that.