Thread: P0300

Tuner in Training

P0300

Good day all. i have a STOCK 2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3 that has a p0300 and LT fuel trims are 25% both banks and misfires on cylinders 7 and 8 occasionally 1. When i remove the MAF sensor i have zero misfires and it appears to ideal a little better. LT fuel trims drop a little. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Intake manifold gasket is the most likely cause.

Tuner in Training
    why do you say that?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    un metered air causes o2 to be drastically lean which makes your trims go high positive. typically the intake gasket goes out and leaks air into both sides which is why both are reading that way.

stock tune the maf isnt active until 4000 rpm so all unplugging it does is removes the iat circuit thats usually in it and forces open loop due to thrown codes which means the trims aren't active. in 200 you might have the canister maf which might not have an internal iat, but either way disconnecting it forces open loop due to triggered codes.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Smoke test for leaks.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    would the lean condition cause cylinders 7 and 8 to misfire. and also why when removing the maf would the misfires stop? not questioning you all just trying to learn as i go

Unplugging it triggers open loop and the base fuel table is commanding fuel instead of the trim system.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT800RCSB View Post
    would the lean condition cause cylinders 7 and 8 to misfire. and also why when removing the maf would the misfires stop? not questioning you all just trying to learn as i go
    Yes, a lean condition due to intake gasket leak (very common on the 5.3 & 6L trucks) can cause 7 & 8 to misfire. Any Maf DTC disables the misfire counters.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    un metered air causes o2 to be drastically lean which makes your trims go high positive. typically the intake gasket goes out and leaks air into both sides which is why both are reading that way.

stock tune the maf isnt active until 4000 rpm so all unplugging it does is removes the iat circuit thats usually in it and forces open loop due to thrown codes which means the trims aren't active. in 200 you might have the canister maf which might not have an internal iat, but either way disconnecting it forces open loop due to triggered codes.
    There is so much wrong in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    There is so much wrong in this post.
    i dont see how. that happened to be exactly what i experience last year after i ruined one intake gasket on my yukon during an valve train refresh.

i dont mind being called out as wrong, but where is the return comment on why?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Senior Tuner
    i dont see how. that happened to be exactly what i experience last year after i ruined one intake gasket on my yukon during an valve train refresh.

i dont mind being called out as wrong, but where is the return comment on why?

What is bolded is wrong.

I've seen you say a lot that the MAF isn't active below 4000 rpm when in fact it is quite active in a blended mode along with the VE table. And unplugging the MAF does not force open loop but it causes the vehicle to run in speed density.

Tuner
    just recently found a rotted egr pipe on my 02 2500 6.0.
    didnt really show with carb/rake clean spray.
    looked horrendous with smoke test though.
    before i fixed it and started tuning, LTFT were 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    What is bolded is wrong.

I've seen you say a lot that the MAF isn't active below 4000 rpm when in fact it is quite active in a blended mode along with the VE table. And unplugging the MAF does not force open loop but it causes the vehicle to run in speed density.
    Thanks for replying. I was taught years ago to view high rpm disable as a threshold where maf wasn't or was used.
    It is possible my older ways aren't relevant these days.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you all for the responses. I just bought a set of FELPRO gaskets today and will get it installed and repost any new log data. Im very interested in learning the stock system of whats normal. I believe (tell me if im wrong) that if i understand fuel trims and o2 sensor maf sensor data that would be the base info for tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Intake gaskets have been replaced. i had to clean the hell out of it lol. My fuel trim numbers are way down. it still has a misfire on cylinders 7 and 8. What gives? Im lost any new suggestions/.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Yes, a lean condition due to intake gasket leak (very common on the 5.3 & 6L trucks) can cause 7 & 8 to misfire. Any Maf DTC disables the misfire counters.

Russ Kemp
    Sorry to side track but when putting in to speed density disable misfire counts too?

Any chance that the heads were shaved enough to affect intake manifold sealing? Replacing the gasket has helped but it may still be leaking on the far rear cylinders.

Did you clear the codes? If the PCM has misfires it shuts down the fuel to the misfiring cylinders. Later models often retry the injectors to see if the cylinder works but earlier models might need to code cleared in order to get the PCM to fire the 7 and 8 injectors again. Also, need to reset fuel trims.

Have you cleaned the injectors? As the engines are always sloped back a little and cylinders 7 and 8 are at the end of the fuel rails, I have seen the screens in the top of injectors 7 and 8 plugged up. The injectors still worked fine. Cleaning the screens resolved the misfires.

Tuner in Training
    When i had the intake manifold off i swapped injectors 7 and 8 with 1 and 2 no change. Is here a way to do a crank relearn. i do know the previous owner changed the crank sensor. So in a nutshell different ecu and new crank sensor i i would think i should perform a crank relearn. Thoughts? should i also include a new log file after gaskets where replaced? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you all

Yep, crank learn is important, has to be done after PCM replacement.

Sorry, I know people do the crank learn with HPTuners but I don't think I ever have. I use a Tech2. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that.