Thread: Another timing question

Advanced Tuner

Another timing question

So ive been looking at some logs and just curious as to how these motors make this much power with very little initial timing (20-12 and sometimes even less). Im old school and am used to running around 36-32* of total timing am i just missing something here? Are there multipliers or adders somewhere i need to add to to get total timing? Or do these things just run with little to no timing because of dual plugs?? Any incite to this is appreciated.
    Charger Scat Pack

There is adders and sub-tractors, like CLT/ACT Temps and such, but no, Hemi's have an extremely efficient chamber. They don't need much timing. I can always tell a Hemi tune coming from an LS shop, WAAAY to much timing. Even only using one plug on a Hemi only 3-4* of timing added is needed.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks BLue Bee you've always got a good explanation of whats going on. Also thank you again for answering some of my seemingly stupid questions

Advanced Tuner
    FstdodgeKY, when you log, which timing map does your car seem to follow at WOT?

My 2016 Scat doesn?t seem to follow the WOT table exactly, even when the coolant and IAT modifiers are not involved. Always seems to be a little higher than the WOT map.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post

My 2016 Scat doesn?t seem to follow the WOT table exactly, even when the coolant and IAT modifiers are not involved. Always seems to be a little higher than the WOT map.
    Depending on your cam timing, it could be following your VVT WOT Lockpin table. I always modify both the regular and VVT lockpin tables to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by FstdodgeKY View Post
    Thanks BLue Bee you've always got a good explanation of whats going on. Also thank you again for answering some of my seemingly stupid questions
    No problem, I try and help out when and where I can

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post

Ususally lockpin is lower, if it's a little higher it may be wanting to ride on up to MBT table, if it is not detecting knock it will do that.

Advanced Tuner
    Mine follows the WOT map for the most part, until i some KR around 4k-4800 around 3*. Might try to add some fuel in this spot to clean the KR up not sure if it will help but its always there when i log. Just trying to get my N\A tune up to par before i spray it any harder than i am. Guess i need to go back and check my lockpin and see how it matched up with my WOT map, Ive looked at it before but never really thought to much about it. Theres just so much to learn and look at with all the multiplier, adders, and sub tractors. Im learning just at a slow pace as im more a hands on guy and this stuff in not exactly like that but im diffidently on the right track i feel and slowly figuring this out with the help and support from you guys. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    Ususally lockpin is lower, if it's a little higher it may be wanting to ride on up to MBT table, if it is not detecting knock it will do that.
    Thank you.

MBT is a bit higher than what I?m seeing.