Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: procharged g8 surging issues

Tuner in Training

procharged g8 surging issues

ive been having problems with my g8 surging once it warms up. it really only happens at a stop and in reverse. when i stop the car and drive about 30 feet before i stop again the car has been stalling out more and more frequently. i am new to tuning (i really dont know what i am doing ) so i cant really identify anything in the tune myself. driving home a few weeks ago the csps failed so i swapped that out with a new one. i can create a scan file for someone to review but i need to know what parameters would be important to look at. any help would be appreciated. its a 2009 G8 GT with a D1SC procharger, 65lb fast injectors, forged internals, with a lunati vodoo blower cam, fast intake with a nick williams 102mm throttle body and a Circle D 3200 torque converter. i attached the tune and the last scan i ran.22APR2019.hplJoe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6.hpt

Senior Tuner
    stoich table is wrong keep it stock, turn off cat protection, disable desoot mode, looks like u need to sort out fueling its way rich as the STFT are mostly -10 and -20 u also need a MAP sensor for boost as your settings are stock and prob best to change to the 2bar OS, get a wideband it u want to tune it properly and i wouldnt go into boost till u sort it out

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    stoich table is wrong keep it stock, turn off cat protection, disable desoot mode, looks like u need to sort out fueling its way rich as the STFT are mostly -10 and -20 u also need a MAP sensor for boost as your settings are stock and prob best to change to the 2bar OS, get a wideband it u want to tune it properly and i wouldnt go into boost till u sort it out
    ill update the stoich tables back to the stock table from the repository make the other adjustments as well. im looking at a gm performance parts 3 bar map sensor p/n 12592525. ill have to look up exactly how to shift over to the 2 bar OS. i do have a wideband already just didnt connect it for that scan. Let me know if im missing anything. ill post the updated tune before i upload it if youd like to take a look.

Tuner in Training
    so i made a few of the changes, specifically disabled desoot, shifted the stoich table back to stock and turned off cot protection. i also want to be able to read the LTFT so i can make adjustments on the tune. so i changed the min ECT and min MAP vs BARO. let me know if im on the right track. i have to figure out once i get the LTFT how i actually update the tune based off of them. i will have to get the MAP sensor i mentioned above as well this week.Joe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6 desoot disabled,.hpt

Senior Tuner
    if u have a wideband then just force OL and tune fueling that way, make a WB error table to suit and then tune away, apply the 2 bar OS when u get the new map and adjust the MAP offsets to suit and populate the VE as it will be blank, u can log more pids just add what relates to what u want to adjust, IPW both banks, IVT, cyl airmass, dynamic airflow, ITT

Tuner in Training
    if u have a wideband then just force OL and tune fueling that way, make a WB error table to suit and then tune away, apply the 2 bar OS when u get the new map and adjust the MAP offsets to suit and populate the VE as it will be blank, u can log more pids just add what relates to what u want to adjust, IPW both banks, IVT, cyl airmass, dynamic airflow, ITT
    i updated to the 2bar OS but i cant seem to find where the MAF low and high frequency tables are. i have the new zeroed out ve tables which i need to figure out how to fill out. i got the new map sensor in and updated the map linear and offset accordingly. i attached the tune that ive been working on if you want to take a look
    Joe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6 desoot disabled, 2bar os.hpt

Senior Tuner
    there is only one MAF table now its next to the VE table, i havnt used it but i think there is some way to populate the VE table from the VVE, u can adjust the VE table axis to suit your boost upto 255kpa but if your not running that much boost just adjust it to suit so u keep some resolution

Tuner in Training
    so I changed over to the 2bar os and copied the vve over to ve table. the car ran pretty rich so when I got home I copied my ltft + stft table over and pasted special times half to the ve table the car ran ok but after I updated the tune it ran like garbage it kept leaning out. I forgot to save the scan file buit ill attach copies of the first tune and the next one with the updated ve table as well as a scan file from the first run after switching over to the 2bar os. I did notice a little bit of oil in the driveway after which is a pretty exciting development!Joe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6 desoot disabled, 2bar os ltft .hptJoe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6 desoot disabled, 2bar os ltft .hptON H1 FOR VE TABLE FIRST TUNE ATTEMPT.hpl
    Last edited by ft2lewis; 06-08-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    keep working on your fuel trims, you are going to want to populate all 3 VE tables to be the same and get rid of the 0s at 170kpa and 175 kpa. Your tune is setup to run in maf only, making adjustments to the VE table wont yield any positive results

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ZincGT View Post
    keep working on your fuel trims, you are going to want to populate all 3 VE tables to be the same and get rid of the 0s at 170kpa and 175 kpa. Your tune is setup to run in maf only, making adjustments to the VE table wont yield any positive results
    now my bank one is constantly going lean for some reason. have to figure that out first

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ft2lewis View Post
    now my bank one is constantly going lean for some reason. have to figure that out first
    ok fixed a broken ground wire and got the o2 sensor back online for bank one. I need to upgrade my maf to my ls3/ls7 style. any tips on doing this? right now I know that I need to adjust the MAF airflow vs. output Frequency table as well as the low and high table. what about the MAF airflow vs. voltage and delta. it would make sense that the voltage needs to change with it being a different sensor but hp tuners does not specifically call it out like it does with the frequency tables.

Tuner in Training
    I got rid of the zeroes and I think have it set up to only run ve. let me know what you think. thanks!Joe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6 desoot disabled, 2bar os ltft .hpt

Advanced Tuner
    You need to change your dynamic airflow settings, max out the rpm in enable and re-enable. you will also want to go to OS an enable the speed density patch

Tuner in Training
    You need to change your dynamic airflow settings, max out the rpm in enable and re-enable. you will also want to go to OS an enable the speed density patch
    I swear I cant get this thing up and running with this tune, I maxed out the rpm in enable and re-enable and applied the speed density under the OS. when I fire the car on its still registering the frequency. the car starts up and dies. I put the tune down below. I cant really get a scan file because the car wont stay running long enough. Do I need to adjust my ve tables?
    Joe Lewis 2009 G8 GT D1SC 227-239-112 FAST 65 102 stall PG tune 6 desoot disabled, 2bar os ltft .hpt

Senior Tuner
    try this with your tune file, also u cant have the maf plugged in if it still is

Tuner in Training
    I thought with the ls family you need it plugged on for iat

Senior Tuner
    yes if u plug it in for iat u have to take the pins out of the maf sensor so it won't work if it stays plugged in then it won't fail properly cos its still putting out a reading

Advanced Tuner
    yes if u plug it in for iat u have to take the pins out of the maf sensor so it won't work if it stays plugged in then it won't fail properly cos its still putting out a reading
    I ran my car for years on SD with the maf still plugged in.

Senior Tuner
    I ran my car for years on SD with the maf still plugged in.
    its better if there is no signal there as it can skew with things, have u tried to take the pins out see if anything changes ?

Tuner in Training
    its better if there is no signal there as it can skew with things, have u tried to take the pins out see if anything changes ?
    not yet and im kind of kicking myself In the ass for not thinking of something so simple. thatll be on the list of things to do tomorrow.