Thread: LSX cast iron block knock sensitivity

LSX cast iron block knock sensitivity

Hey guys, Im going to have a gen 5 camaro hitting the dyno in the next couple of days. Its a pretty big build, LSX 388, brodix BR7 heads, edelbrock 2300, interchiller
    water meth etc. I have never tuned a cast iron LSX before on am wondering what to expect in regards to knock sensor sensitivity, going from an aluminium block to a
    cast iron block? Would love to hear your guys experiences with similar setups and what i should expect.

Thanks
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Eperformance View Post
    Hey guys, Im going to have a gen 5 camaro hitting the dyno in the next couple of days. Its a pretty big build, LSX 388, brodix BR7 heads, edelbrock 2300, interchiller
    water meth etc. I have never tuned a cast iron LSX before on am wondering what to expect in regards to knock sensor sensitivity, going from an aluminium block to a
    cast iron block? Would love to hear your guys experiences with similar setups and what i should expect.

Thanks
    Stephen
    The iron block will for sure change the way the frequency that knock produces will travel to the sensors. Its important to understand that knock sensors don't always tell you its detonating. There microphones and numerous things can emulate those frequencies. Also remember before knock sensors came out we still could calibrate spark timing so don't panic without training wheels. You best approach should be to find optimal timing at WOT by doing whats called a "spark hook" test in which you creep up on spark to find peak cylinder pressure. Not sure your experience but if you do enough LS engines you should have a good idea where you need to be based on the fuel being used...
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Redline MS View Post
    The iron block will for sure change the way the frequency that knock produces will travel to the sensors. Its important to understand that knock sensors don't always tell you its detonating. There microphones and numerous things can emulate those frequencies. Also remember before knock sensors came out we still could calibrate spark timing so don't panic without training wheels. You best approach should be to find optimal timing at WOT by doing whats called a "spark hook" test in which you creep up on spark to find peak cylinder pressure. Not sure your experience but if you do enough LS engines you should have a good idea where you need to be based on the fuel being used...
    Thanks for the reply
    Have done hundreds of supercharged LS setups, mostly pump gas LSA or 2300 builds. Havent done any water/meth setups though, but have a fair idea where my spark timing should be.
    We run a A/C cooled water to air intercooler setup which keeps intake temps down, this usually gives us 5 - 6 degrees more spark without detonation.

Stephen

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eperformance View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    Have done hundreds of supercharged LS setups, mostly pump gas LSA or 2300 builds. Havent done any water/meth setups though, but have a fair idea where my spark timing should be.
    We run a A/C cooled water to air intercooler setup which keeps intake temps down, this usually gives us 5 - 6 degrees more spark without detonation.

Stephen
    Is the meth intended for more octane or for cooling? i have used and tuned meth injection on procharger and turbo setups with great results, i didnt had good results on my personal truck wich is using roots blower style, it did give me the more octane effect but not the cooling effect, maybe using direct port meth injection..what fuel will be used? i think no need to use meth if already using interchiller?

Quote Originally Posted by castorjames View Post
    Is the meth intended for more octane or for cooling? i have used and tuned meth injection on procharger and turbo setups with great results, i didnt had good results on my personal truck wich is using roots blower style, it did give me the more octane effect but not the cooling effect, maybe using direct port meth injection..what fuel will be used? i think no need to use meth if already using interchiller?
    The water met/injection had already been fit to the vehicle before we worked on it, and the interchiller kit was just suppled to fit by the customer.
    Not usually the type if setup we would design but im interested to see how well they work together.
    This is a pump gas car so octane increase will be a benefit, the chiller should do most of the cooling. We dont want the charge temps to go to low as ice can build up on the intercooler fins.

Stephen

Advanced Tuner
    If it is a pump gas car it will work great together.. im interested in the results.