Thread: Tow Tune Help

Potential Tuner

Tow Tune Help

What makes a good tow tune? Stock timing with more fuel? Slightly less or more timing? More boost? Obviously it's going to vary, I'm going to be pulling my 23ft toy hauler this weekend and don't want to have too hot of a tune in it. (doing my own custom tuning) If anyone wants to take a look at my current tune and log let me know, I would love some help. Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    For a 6.0

Tuner
    I hope Jim P or CKrueg Chime in, both seem to be very knowledgeable. From what i've gathered and the little tuning i've done bumping timing slightly and decreasing fuel pressure a little can result in better fuel economy. I'm not to sure if the 6.0's really require less fuel pressure as they could be set well in stock form. I'm unsure of what's best for towing. If either of those two chime in they should be able to set you straight.

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get help. I've got mpvi1 pro for my c5 vette. About to purchase a 06 f250 and am trying to find someone to tune with my hptuners .

For a tow tune I would recommend bumping timing slightly to reduce EGT and increase MPG, but don't go too far or cylinder pressure can get too high. you can increase WOT fueling a little and also increase boost there since more fuel needs more air. If you dont have studs i would not increase anything otherwise your headgaskets could go. A huge part of tow tunes is the Trans, you are going to want to raise shift points to stay in the power band, and also lock up the converter early to keep trans temp lower and put all your power to the ground.