Thread: Tow Tune Help

Potential Tuner

Tow Tune Help

What makes a good tow tune? Stock timing with more fuel? Slightly less or more timing? More boost? Obviously it's going to vary, I'm going to be pulling my 23ft toy hauler this weekend and don't want to have too hot of a tune in it. (doing my own custom tuning) If anyone wants to take a look at my current tune and log let me know, I would love some help. Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    For a 6.0

I hope Jim P or CKrueg Chime in, both seem to be very knowledgeable. From what i've gathered and the little tuning i've done bumping timing slightly and decreasing fuel pressure a little can result in better fuel economy. I'm not to sure if the 6.0's really require less fuel pressure as they could be set well in stock form. I'm unsure of what's best for towing. If either of those two chime in they should be able to set you straight.

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get help. I've got mpvi1 pro for my c5 vette. About to purchase a 06 f250 and am trying to find someone to tune with my hptuners .

For a tow tune I would recommend bumping timing slightly to reduce EGT and increase MPG, but don't go too far or cylinder pressure can get too high. you can increase WOT fueling a little and also increase boost there since more fuel needs more air. If you dont have studs i would not increase anything otherwise your headgaskets could go. A huge part of tow tunes is the Trans, you are going to want to raise shift points to stay in the power band, and also lock up the converter early to keep trans temp lower and put all your power to the ground.

Tuner in Training
    GCSS 2005 F350 diesel 6.0 STAGE TWO tune more FICM.hptGCSS 2005 F350 diesel 6.0 STAGE TWO tune more FICM.hptIve tuned my 05 longbed 6.0 with hpt when it was first available... also tuned the ficm.. ill upload my tune to see if that will help any ive got many many hours tuning this truck along with some back and forth feedback from eric
    1989 C1500 LS-Swapped 4.8 single turbo-HP tuned
    2005 F350 Ford 6.0 diesel CCLB 4x4-HP tuned
    GULF COAST SPEED SHOP (check facebook)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxSwap0613 View Post
    GCSS 2005 F350 diesel 6.0 STAGE TWO tune more FICM.hptGCSS 2005 F350 diesel 6.0 STAGE TWO tune more FICM.hptIve tuned my 05 longbed 6.0 with hpt when it was first available... also tuned the ficm.. ill upload my tune to see if that will help any ive got many many hours tuning this truck along with some back and forth feedback from eric

Has anyone tried this guy's tune and had any luck?? I have a SCSB 6.0 that is a tow truck (repo style) that is deleted & studded. I used HP tuners and tried making a tow tune. It's ok I guess. I haven't messed with the FICM at all. I was thinking about trying this guy's tune out and see what happens. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by northpoletuner View Post
    Has anyone tried this guy's tune and had any luck?? I have a SCSB 6.0 that is a tow truck (repo style) that is deleted & studded. I used HP tuners and tried making a tow tune. It's ok I guess. I haven't messed with the FICM at all. I was thinking about trying this guy's tune out and see what happens. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have tried the engine side of his tuning, I have my own trans side of things that I have spent countless hours on (still perfecting)

His pull great and egts were manageable on mine.

Im an 03 excursion, no limit intake, straight pipe stock exhaust size, 5? lift on 35? tires, blue spring, studs.

Pulling a 9000lbs travel trailer.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    I have tried the engine side of his tuning, I have my own trans side of things that I have spent countless hours on (still perfecting)

His pull great and egts were manageable on mine.

Im an 03 excursion, no limit intake, straight pipe stock exhaust size, 5? lift on 35? tires, blue spring, studs.

Pulling a 9000lbs travel trailer.
    You run this tune with the stock FICM file? I've been sitting on this one for a while. I never loaded it up on my old truck because I was pretty happy with BigCe's V4. Never even bothered with V12. It wasn't studed. Hopefully, the heads blew off the damn thing and hit the thieves in the head. New truck is studded so I want to compare the 2 tunes. I'm not thrilled with any of the canned tunes that came with the new truck SCT. It's OK but it just doesn't have that same feel as the old one even with 35's vs the old 37's (Oh and if your tuner gets stolen HPtuners can disable it and transfer credits to a new one with a police report.)