Thread: 16 Injectors using the e38?

16 Injectors using the e38?

Hello all,

Trying to get some more definitive information on the limitations of the injector drivers on the e38.

Specifically, can the wiring be setup to allow for batched/dual 8 injector control? Or said differently, can 2 sets of 8 injectors be wired in parallel with added resistors to mirror 8 injectors?without causing additional amperage draw or control issues? Or in series without causing control issues in low-pulse width situations like idle?

My project will necessitate the use of injectors above a 6-71 blower, and would REALLY like to keep tuning fidelity for each cylinder as needed, which would mean keeping an injector in each port.

All injectors would be the same flow rate?42lb?but 16 of them instead of 8.

Thanks in advance!

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC

Any reason you don’t want to just put proper size 8 injectors?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Senior Tuner
    I understand your predicament. You need the fuel above the blower to cool and lube the rotors, but would like the ability to tune individual cylinders as well. Your best bet is to move to an aftermarket PCM.
    The E38 injector drivers will not live long driving 16 injectors. If an aftermarket ECU isn't in the budget at this time, You might consider an standalone injector driver box, such as the one offered by Holley, or Fuel Tech.

Yes...you can use an extended fuel controller that plugs into the stock ECU and tune the extra 8 based on boost/MAP and RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Any reason you don?t want to just put proper size 8 injectors?
    Because I am going to run a 6-71 blower which must be run wet...so have to have 8 injectors above the blower, and would like to put 1 in each port.

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Last edited by rcodea1; 05-21-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    I understand your predicament. You need the fuel above the blower to cool and lube the rotors, but would like the ability to tune individual cylinders as well. Your best bet is to move to an aftermarket PCM.
    The E38 injector drivers will not live long driving 16 injectors. If an aftermarket ECU isn't in the budget at this time, You might consider an standalone injector driver box, such as the one offered by Holley, or Fuel Tech.
    aftermarket doesnt seem to to offer the 6L80e control i need as well though.

As for the Extended Fuel Control, I read about that in posts from ~2007, but have not been able to find anything more recent than that. Is it no longer produced? Different manufacturer?

I did find the Holley 554-143 based on your info, and seems to be a simple 'peak and hold' box....trying to match flow rates between the two sets might be a bit tricky...unless there is an easy software setting in the Holley setup to 'duplicate input'..but from what i can find about the box, it doesnt have that kind of detail..

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Last edited by rcodea1; 05-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ttz06vette View Post
    Yes...you can use an extended fuel controller that plugs into the stock ECU and tune the extra 8 based on boost/MAP and RPM.
    Are you refering to a "peak and hold" box? wouldnt that make things a bit of a nightmare trying to match things between the two sets...above nad below the blower?

I would need them to run full time though...

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Last edited by rcodea1; 05-21-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The E38 injector drivers will not live long driving 16 injectors.
    How have people tried this in the future? Is it a current limitation? resistance sensitivity issue? ANy information would be greatly appreciated!

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC

I needed a dyno to set up fueling as I had to balance aftermarket pump with BAP, Extended controller for 2nd set of 8 injectors and meth. 16 injectors were stock GM LS7 and I pretty much maxed out the duty cycle of the first 8 and brought the second 8 in at a low duty cycle as I entered boost and scaled up from there. I used meth to eliminate Kr and run more timing without going too rich with AFR from fuel. Once setup I really haven’t had the need to mess with it anymore unless i make hardware changes ( I.e. I took off my cats and went way lean)
    All this being said I have a completely different situation then you with twin turbos. Not sure if the Holly unit is the same as I see they discontinued my XFC. Not sure I helped

I needed a dyno to set up fueling as I had to balance aftermarket pump with BAP, Extended controller for 2nd set of 8 injectors and meth. 16 injectors were stock GM LS7 and I pretty much maxed out the duty cycle of the first 8 and brought the second 8 in at a low duty cycle as I entered boost and scaled up from there. I used meth to eliminate Kr and run more timing without going too rich with AFR from fuel. Once setup I really haven?t had the need to mess with it anymore unless i make hardware changes ( I.e. I took off my cats and went way lean)
    All this being said I have a completely different situation then you with twin turbos. Not sure if the Holly unit is the same as I see they discontinued my XFC. Not sure I helped
    True, thats different, but it is still good information! thanks!

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC

There is a standalone 6 speed controller, never tried it or seen someone use it yet.

http://www.zerogravityperformance.co...e-6l90e-6l50e/
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Not sure if the Holly unit is the same as I see they discontinued my XFC. Not sure I helped
    which controller did you use for the second set of injectors....XFC? Fuel Tech? Holley?

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Last edited by rcodea1; 06-06-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Tuner in Training
    A little late on the response but I just found this thread by accident. If you need an auxiliary fuel controller, our MAF Fusion product might be an option. You can run the additional injectors off of MAF vs RPM or MAP vs RPM. You can set the RPM and load steps and what ever steps you want. Table size is up to 21x21 (21 RPM x 21 load) so if you have used a XFC, Link, Greddy or some of the other aux controllers and have starting values you want to use from before you can set the table size and steps to the same as the previous device and just copy your initial pulse width data into the MAF Fusion software.

Here is a link to the product data sheet:
    https://nebula.wsimg.com/45d71a55166...&alloworigin=1

You can download the software here:
    https://www.proservsolutions.com/downloads.html

Instruction manual is here:
    https://nebula.wsimg.com/022edeacfe5...&alloworigin=1

PSS

proefi runs 16 injectors and controls the 6l80e FWIW

Tuner in Training
    No experience with this, but it seems the simplest solution is probably the cheapest and the most DIY. Couldn't a properly rated transistor be used as a relay to flip both injector grounds simultaneously? It's going back very old school, with soldering bits on to a breadboard, but it seems like it should work. Again, I've never delved into electronics, so I'm no help figuring out the specifics.