Thread: TCC shudder?

Tuner in Training

TCC shudder?

My 17 Silverado 1500 6L80E has developed a slight shudder condition when locked up in 5th or 6th gear, under light acceleration. Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, is there anything that can be done to correct it, short of replacing the converter?

Potential Tuner
    Tune is stock?

Tuning Addict
    Known issues with the 6 and 8 speeds - converters were made very thin and warped around where the bolt areas were welded on - clutch only contacted in a few small areas... GM even came out with different length bolts in an attempt to make better as the original bolts were too long and dimpled the clutch surface area of the converter... Warranty should cover this - especially since yours is a 17 - they'll probably change fluid first before replacement though, so be ready for that and possibly having to take it back again... If you live around any really steep grades and the trans tune is stock, they almost always shudder while locked and pulling in 2nd gear...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ITSAV6 View Post
    Tune is stock?
    No the tune is not stock, driver demand and shift pressures are raised a decent amount.

Return it to stock and reset the adapts and see if it goes away.

If it does, then it's possible it's something you did with your transmission tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Come to find out there is a TCM update via GDS to correct this issue, but mine had the update installed prior to me purchasing it. Damn

do you have the active fuel management disabled? I have an 2011 suburban that had the same symptoms(felt like I was hitting rumble strips at light throttle)changing between 4 and 8 cylinders caused this ,, I disabled mine and it remedied that ,,

I build trans for a living and like was posted already these have major issues with torque converter failures and shudders. My buddies bone stock 2017 with 6k miles is doing it already. I know the aftermarket stuff we use in rebuilds are much better have a better lock up clutch. Since you have tuned it they will most likely check find it and not warranty the truck. You can go back stock and try it but dont be shocked if they send off the ecm and check it for a tune. The new world we live in with dealers not wanting to warranty anything. If the clutch isnt too damaged already you can do a few things. Up the pressure to the lock up cluch, raise the mph it locks up at, make it on off get rid of all the slip rpm (I have done this with good results on 6l45e ats trans that have this issue) or just lower slip rpm so still allows some but not much but will have to add to pressure too. Hopefully it isnt too far gone and can tune it out as I have on a few that drove it that way a while. The 6l80 is problematic and see a ton of them from trucks and suv now. Very few from any car so this really seems to be more of a heavier vehicle issue for sure so thinking not only the weight but assume the tune is so it applies less abrupt so people dont bitch about feeling lockup apply. If want to email me a tune I am sure I can point you to the correct tables to tune. Just pm me
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tuner in Training
    Interestingly enough raising the TCC Desired Slip seems to have cured my issue. For now anyway, time will tell.

Tuner in Training
    I found that zeroing out the TCC Desired Slip table caused increased shutter in my 11 Denali, the factory setting is tolerable, hasn't changed in 90k. I may try increasing to stop shutter all together.
    11 Sierra Denali

Tuner in Training
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the same issue. 2011 Sierra, Trans is tuned using The Tuning School Transmission guide and some of the recommendations some of the HP Tuner people have provided on this board.

The TCC Desired Slip is set at 20 from the factory, MIKEB1985, what did you set yours to?

Also, I turned my DOD off, should I disable "Use DOD slip"?

Thanks for any help,

Ben
    Last edited by Houston Ben; 09-29-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: clarificaton