Thread: 2016 Wrangler 3.6L Low Range Issues

Potential Tuner

2016 Wrangler 3.6L Low Range Issues

I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler with an auto and I am having what feels like torque management kicking in while in low range. It makes it so I am not able to get any throttle response when I am trying to climb up walls and such. I can floor it and it just won't go. It seems the worst when I manually shift to 1st gear.

I have a HP Tuner and just ordered a spare PCM to send in for unlock.

Any ideas on where to start to get this thing moving?

I also have a programmer installed (AEV Procal) to set gear ratios and tire size. Will that cause issues with tune modification?
    Byron Haner - Wichersham, Wa

Potential Tuner
    You can see and hear the issue here.

To get the Jeep to move I must either floor it and wait for it to pick up... Sometimes that takes 4-5 seconds or never does anything... Or I let off and re-apply the throttle. Sometimes it will react then. But it is really not predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKhYrHVWoCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yakZ5yaNNDc
    Last edited by bhaner; 05-22-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Nobody has any ideas?

Not really wanting to spend a bunch of money to buy a license and unlock the ECM if there is no support...

Advanced Tuner
    Did you try scanning for torque source with VCM Scanner?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaner View Post
    You can see and hear the issue here.

To get the Jeep to move I must either floor it and wait for it to pick up... Sometimes that takes 4-5 seconds or never does anything... Or I let off and re-apply the throttle. Sometimes it will react then. But it is really not predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKhYrHVWoCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yakZ5yaNNDc
    Did you ever solve this? I have had the same problem multiple times. A couple times it has actually died and I had to wait a bit to get it started. Not fun when I'm climbing a very large obstacle and I have to sit there holding the brake or just pray that throttling out works out okay.
    **Edit** Nice effing driving! That trail in the top video link Confirmed from the video that it is exactly the same issue though mine seems to be worse on occasion.
    Last edited by Anvil15jku; 10-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil15jku View Post
    Did you ever solve this? I have had the same problem multiple times. A couple times it has actually died and I had to wait a bit to get it started. Not fun when I'm climbing a very large obstacle and I have to sit there holding the brake or just pray that throttling out works out okay.
    **Edit** Nice effing driving! That trail in the top video link Confirmed from the video that it is exactly the same issue though mine seems to be worse on occasion.
    I gave up going down the tuning route. Found out I would have to pay to unlock my ECM... Then pay for the license... Then figure out how to tune it... Plus nobody seemed to know what the actual solution was.

I would rather put that money into my LS swap.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaner View Post
    I gave up going down the tuning route. Found out I would have to pay to unlock my ECM... Then pay for the license... Then figure out how to tune it... Plus nobody seemed to know what the actual solution was.

I would rather put that money into my LS swap.
    Yeah, mine is already unlocked, had to do that for the supercharger. I was glad to see that someone with an OEM tune was also having the issue though.

The HPTuners setup is actually a good deal compared to DiabloSport or the others since the software is free and you only have to buy the device. You can scan and log without paying the $100 for the PCM and TCM licenses. I'm pretty sure you can scan and log with a locked PCM as well, just can't write updates to it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil15jku View Post
    Yeah, mine is already unlocked, had to do that for the supercharger. I was glad to see that someone with an OEM tune was also having the issue though.

The HPTuners setup is actually a good deal compared to DiabloSport or the others since the software is free and you only have to buy the device. You can scan and log without paying the $100 for the PCM and TCM licenses. I'm pretty sure you can scan and log with a locked PCM as well, just can't write updates to it.
    Starting to look into solving this problem again. V8 is not going to happen before my next trip.

Sending in an ECM to be unlocked soon.

Got to thinking about this the other day. I had "Hill Start Assist" enabled in the personal settings. I wonder if that could be part of the problem? I haven't been able to test since I disabled it.

Potential Tuner
    Ok! ECM unlocked and credits purchased!

What I have found are settings under "Transmission\General".

There is a "Torque Limit" section that has "Output Limit 4wd low".

Would it be as simple as changing the value to match the "Output Limit" value?

There also seem to be limits for 1st and 2nd gear. The values are much lower than the other gears.

Trans-Gen.JPG

vs gear.JPG

autostick.JPG

What is the best way to go about this?