Thread: Tuning issues with 2004 Cobra supercharged

Tuning issues with 2004 Cobra supercharged

Hi Guys,

general questions here. I have been tuning with HPT since the beginning. I still use MPVI 1 to tune 400 cars a year without a single issue of communication, bricked pcm's, or detectable hardware. I feel this means my laptop (W10) and cable are communicating perfectly. Today I used a MPVI2 for the first time on this 2004 cobra with a smaller pulley. I installed the new drivers, and from there had nothing but problems. The scanner has almost NO pids. The pids I can see are so slow to update It's like information from yesterday. The VCM scanner keeps not finding the MPVI2. I unplug it from the laptop and car and replug it in and it finds it right away. I'm using the cable, not Bluetooth. I tried a different cable. No change.

Am I missing something obvious here? HPT released tuning for this car with virtually no scanning support at all? The MPVI2 barely has a reliable connection to the laptop without constantly futzing around?

thanks for the help

Tuner in Training
    I seen Eric Brooks posted on Facebook in an 03-04 cobra group a while back and said the scanner was going to be fixed soon. I have been keeping an eye out as well as I upgraded my MPVI 1 just to tune my cobra. My MPVI2 works perfect on the few gm cars I have tuned since I upgraded. Its only my cobra that gives my issues. Hopefully one of the guys from HP will chime in here and shed some light on this.

To help with the updating speed. Log as few pids as you can. The scanner will still freeze after about 5 to 10 seconds but you should have long enough to log pulls. 3 to 4 pids are all you can log at the current time with "decent" resolution on EEC V.

I've tuned a few EEC-V cars now using HP tuners MPVI2 and was able to log (but with a separate device).

Here is how I was able to tune with HP Tuners and datalog completely (Tuning on the dyno, but concept is the same)

Everyone knows there is a major issue with the VCM scanner datalogging the EEC-V ECU. I've submitted a ticket (Ticket ID: 159288) sometime back in January and still to this day there is no update.

What I do now is use the VCM editior to make changes in the map, write the tune, THEN I unplug the MPVI2, Plug in a SCT device to the vehicle (I happen to have a SCT BDX that was a paperweight that could not take in custom tunes, but everything else works) Open Live Link Gen II, Connect to vehicle, select your PIDs, and then set up the graph to your liking.
    You now have a datalogger to safely Tune the vehicle. Some PIDs read differently in the map, but the concept of what needs to be change should be the same. It can be annoying and be a pain to go back and forth between the 2 devices, but you will now know what's going on and have a log to correctly tune the EEC-V ECU.

Now I know not everyone has an SCT device laying around to use it as a datalogger, but this is what I have been doing to tune EEC-V ECU's and have great success.

This is the method I use to Tune EEC-V ECU's until there is a fix on the VCM scanner to correct the issue. I know it will take a while because the EEC-V is a Dinosaur computer and can be finicky.

I hope this helps as far as logging.

I wonder if nGauge can log those cars?

I haven't had the opportunity to try, I'm curious as well

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    I wonder if nGauge can log those cars?
    I have been logging my 4.6L with nGauge and analyzing with LiveLink. The nGauge has way fewer PIDs available than the SCT devices. Also, the Load signal is maxed at 100% for some reason. The advantage is that I don?t need a laptop in the car when getting ?on the road? data. It also seems more reliable than the SCT hardware.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Same issues here with EECV crashing / relinking / crashing repeat. I also have an open ticket. There is no priority. I suggested they remove it from the supported vehicles list as its well ... not supported at all.

We are dropping in a Haltech Elite 2500 PNP. Should have done that from the get go. EECV is a POS.

I emailed them earlier this week and they replied to me

" we're actively working on this issue in both the firmware and VCM Scanner software.

We have duplicated the EEC-V scanning issue in-house and I have made several firmware changes to improve behavior with regard to noise, but have not yet completed our testing.

Thanks,
    Alex Fox"

How soon? I don't know. Throwing out the EEC-V and installing a standalone is always the better route for these vehicles, especially with power adders, since they're basicly foxbody computers and process as fast as a snail panicking.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Robert by any chance did you compare the PID list between hptuner and sct? If there a difference as with ngauge that has less PIDs