Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique my tune please; '16 ZO6, Magnuson 2300

Tuner in Training

'16 ZO6, Magnuson 2300

Hello all,

I recently installed a Magnuson 2300 on my M7 ZO6 with some supporting mods and took it to a local shop for tuning. I'm having a few drivability issues and would like to get a second opinion on my tune. The car put down 665/668 on a dynojet on pump 93 and runs much cooler than it did with the stock 1.7 liter blower. I expected those numbers to be a bit higher but I'm pretty much out of fuel as it sits, unable to maintain commanded pressure beyond around 4k rpm. I have an aux low side and flex fuel sensor on order from DSX that will be going on in the next few weeks. The car is a road course car so I want to stay away from meth.

Mods:
    Magnuson 2300
    2.75" Griptech pulley (70mm)
    Haltech intake
    Katech 103mm throttle body
    Catless downpipes
    Stock x-pipe with stock rear cats
    Borla S-Type catback exhaust
    Weapon X heat exchanger
    Secondary radiator

Issues:
    knock retard indicated in logs
    occasional slight acceleration stumble around 1600-1800 rpm after shifts under normal driving throttle

I've attached the tune file and a stock tune file for comparison.

I've compared the Spark - Advance - Base - High Octane table of my tune with a lightly modified '15, stock '16, and stock '17 tune. Around the Spark Airmass .88ish and rpm 1800ish range there is a significant reduction in timing in my tune compared to the other three. I started to go down the timing path after seeing what I thought was timing dropping off in that rpm range after shifting on a few logs. I've attached a few logs and a screenshot of that area below.

Low rpm WOT: Plantation 1:30
    2-3 WOT: Plantation 5:20
    series of normal driving shifts: Leaving neighborhood 0:05 and 1:30

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

C7Z 2300 70mm.hpt

2016 C7Z stock.hpt

To Plantation.hpl

Leaving neighborhood.hpl

Timing comparison vs stock.PNG
    Last edited by Prop Job; 06-16-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    your low side fuel pump is dropping and your fuel system is maxed
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I know. That's why I've got the DSX low side system on the way. It will be here Tue so hopefully installed by next wknd. Right now I'd really just like to figure out why I've got that dead spot around 1600-1800 rpm after shifting and am seeing so much KR.

Once I get my final E85 tune done I'll send the file off to a shop I know has experience with these setups and pay for the tune review and remote support services.

Tuner in Training
    I finished the Calibrated Success Gen 5 dvd and definitely have a few areas of concern in my tune.

They increased my SOI by 10 degrees in the upper end which has it as early as 366 degrees.
    They haven't touched my VVE and relating coefficients.

I'm seeing a dip in the throttle curve in the area where I feel a flat spot after shifting, screenshot attached below. Any guesses as to what the cause of that could be? I'm hoping having the correct VE Coefficients in will correct this.

I plan to keep it under 4k rpm until I can get the tune redone with the new low side, flex fuel, SOI addl 10 degrees removed, and VE Coefficients updated.

Throttle dip.PNG

Got your PM, I’ll take a look soon!! SOI while the exhaust valve is open is just wasting fuel and mucking up the WB reading

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    I'm getting this tune ironed out. Drivability is much improved over the initial tune. I've added the DSX low side and am maintaining desired pressure throughout the rpm range. The low side is currently at the stock 500 KPa. What's the safe upper limit of desired low side pressure? Getting ready to throw some E85 at it!
    Last edited by Prop Job; 06-07-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ben, so pretty much the SOI shouldn't go over 360 then? is that what causes a puff of smoke under hard acceleration?

342 is my max according to my cam specs and the EOI should never go past 180...cam degrees
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    I've done lots of searching and haven't found a clear answer. On the C7Z, when is "exhaust valve close" and "intake valve open"? Measured in the same manner as SOI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostnotes View Post
    342 is my max according to my cam specs and the EOI should never go past 180...cam degrees
    eoi tables are for split pulse which is only active during cranking

Quote Originally Posted by HNK View Post
    Ben, so pretty much the SOI shouldn't go over 360 then? is that what causes a puff of smoke under hard acceleration?
    We use too... but what we know now, I don’t see it being a good idea

Larger the cam (more overlap) the worst it gets

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Just found this posted by Ben in the SOI calculator thread:

"Stock C7 Z06 has SOI at WOT around 354
    Stock cam is 189/223 120 LSA (again centerline guessing straight up at 120LSA, again VVT changes this
    IVO is -25.5 ATDC
    IVC is 34.5 ABDC
    EVO is 51.5 BBDC
    EVC is -8.5 BTDC
    The ZO6 is injecting much earlier, there doing this for 2 reason I believe, 1 more fuel being injected and 2 to increase cylinder pressure to make more power for the given setup.
    Looking at injection they can inject anywhere up to 368.5 degrees with the cam straight up."

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this would put the events at these values in reference to SOI:
    IVO 385.5
    IVC 145.5
    EVO 231.5
    EVC 351.5

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    eoi tables are for split pulse which is only active during cranking

From what i understood,EOI was like a maximum you wanted to go in cam degrees, 180 being the beginning of the power stroke.

I get what you are saying since SOI is more relative to piston speed and to time but I always thought EOI was like a cutoff.
    Last edited by Ghostnotes; 06-08-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostnotes View Post
    From what i understood,EOI was like a maximum you wanted to go in cam degrees, 180 being the beginning of the power stroke.

I get what you are saying since SOI is more relative to piston speed and to time but I always thought EOI was like a cutoff.
    EOI is a cutoff, just not for normal fueling. Check the descriptions of the tables.

Tuner in Training
    I've received some questions about the DSX Aux Low side so here's a screen shot of the before and after fuel pressures. These are two different tunes so not a completely apples to apples comparison but you can see how neither the high or low side are able to maintain commanded pressure on the stock low side. With the DSX kit keeping the high side properly primed, commanded and actual are right on top of each other.

Stock Low Side.PNG

DSX Aux Low Side.PNG

I've got another issue I'd appreciate some help with if you guys have any ideas. My car idles like crap, like barely running after a write until I clear the DTC's about a dozen times. It does this no matter what tune I load into it, even tunes from different tuners (haven't tried loading the stock back in but it's so far off from what the car needs at this point it'd prob do the same but for different reasons). Here's a log. The car finally starts to run correctly around the 3:46 mark if I remember right.

After write idle codes.hpl

Here's a screenshot of the codes:

20190604_150234.jpg
    Last edited by Prop Job; 06-09-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hi, Your throttle scalar hasn?t been changed for the 103mm Tb. Maybe that?s why your idle isn?t good

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post the second log ?

Tuner in Training
    The idle and drivability are perfect once I get the codes cleared after the flash. If you're referencing the tune I attached in the first post I've moved on to a different tuner and am very happy with how it's running now. I don't have the file in front of me right now so I can't comment on if the throttle scalar has been updated in the current tune. I'll look when I get home. We're still trying to chase down some KR. Going to throw some race gas in tomorrow and see if it's still there. I've taken it up to 102 octane with boostane and am still seeing the KR.

What log are you wanting to see?
    Last edited by Prop Job; 06-09-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    the one after the Dsx install.

Tuner in Training
    I'll upload it when I get home later this afternoon.