Thread: Controller Unlocker: Timed Out

Controller Unlocker: Timed Out

Dead. No crank. Very angry now. I may update later with actual information but I'm pissed off.

2006 E40/T42 GMT370

How this started: I did a Write Calibration (engine only) and it worked just like it should. Key off, remove key, wait, just like always. Put key back in, turn to crank, nothing. Cycled key many times, no crank. Battery voltage A-OK. No aftermarket stereo chime BS or anything else in this truck. Tried to re-reflash it again, same procedure as always, and got Controller Unlocker: Timed Out.

Disconnected battery for an hour. Fired right up no issues afterwards, without re-reflashing. I haven't tried the MPVI2 yet to see if it'll connect now. If it'd thrown an error message at me saying the write failed I'd kinda understand, shit happens, right?, and I would have known to not turn the key off and try to flash it again. Still don't know what went wrong so I have no idea what to do or not do to minimize chances of it happening again.

Tuner in Training
    May I ask what kind of laptop? Toshiba? Does any message pop up when you connect cord to USB port?

Yes Toshiba, no USB messages. Win7 x86 with the bare minimum of Toshiba bloatware crap (my own clean install to a blank SSD). Event Viewer's Application and System logs are clean, I keep an eye on that kind of stuff. Windows Updates are disabled so it wasn't something that got changed in the background without my knowledge.

This is the exact same setup I have flashed with dozens of times without issue. And even that time, the write that pseudo-bricked it gave me the nice green 'Completed' message at the end despite the no crank/dead ECU afterwards. I unplugged the MPVI's USB and reconnected, no go. Then I rebooted, still no go. After the battery disconnect when the ECM was back to functioning, the Controller Unlocker fail message went away. The ECU was scrambled by something during the write and I don't know what went wrong. I didn't do anything different.

Potential Tuner
    I have experienced this a couple times myself. The one thing I notice is that if I load a previous file. Eg like a previous version of the tune it will do it almost every time. Running win 10 on a Compaq. All voltages are good. Flash always says completed.

Had this happen once on a Trailblazzer SS with the E40. I thought I bricked it for some reason. I ended up putting it on a bench harness and reflashing. Put it back in the truck and it was fine. After reading yours not sure if the bench did anything or not, it may have just been having the battery disconnected.
    Too many unfinished projects