Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go. 1999 LQ4 6.0l/4l80e into 57 Chev

Went on a longer run, with a couple higher rpm pulls.

Car still doesn't want to slow down. I can let off the throttle completely, the logs show tps at .4% and the car will actually slowly speed up. When stopped at a light you can actually feel when a setting is changed the RPM's will "step" down. Almost like a upshift when you are sitting still.

4 jul - 4.hpl
    4 jul - 4.hpt

At what point do you start "smoothing" tables?

Found the tire size was off, so I corrected that. Have not got into the trans yet, but its gonna need some work as well.

I smooth the VE after every change. You don't want to leave any dips or spikes in there.

Same with your timing, it's not very smooth in the lower rpm/low cylinder airmass and has a few high spots where it would be coming off throttle and coasting. Try bringing that down from the 40's into the low to mid 30's instead. Just hitting the smooth button there a few times will even it out a decent amount.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Okay I will give that a go. Thanks again for the help. This is quite fun once you get into it.

Okay so smoothing the timing and dropping it down a bit, it has helped. I think that is the right direction as the rpm dropped from the 1600's to the 1200's. So some more tweaks should get it right on. It hangs at 1150rpm, when slowing down, as soon as you hit 5 mph, it drops to 800 to 850rpm. Repeatable every time.

Here is the latest after a good 45 minute or so run. I cannot get over how much stronger this damn engine is....puts a big grin on your face when you get into it.

5 jul 2.hpl
    5 Jul 2.hpt

Transmission is in a need of tweaks as well, thats next up, once I figure out where to start...lol

Any chance someone can look at my fan setup? I went from a no fan truck to a 2 fan setup. It seems fan 1 is on all the time and fan 2 never kicks on no matter how hot it gets. I must have missed a setting somewhere when I enabled them.

Are you using a 2-relay or 3-relay setup?

2 relays

Have you confirmed that the PCM is the source of the ground keeping the Fan 1 relay on all the time? (disconnect the signal wire from PCM (C1 pin 42?) to relay, does Fan 1 turn off? Can you manually turn it off in scanner>VCM Controls?)

I'm guessing you've got no A/C on this thing from the fan settings page. Have you checked the A/C status in the scanner to be sure the PCM doesn't think the A/C is on?

Ah. You're still set to use C2 pin 33 as 'AC Recirc', not Fan 2. And if you have no AC, set it to 'Not Fitted'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Ah. You're still set to use C2 pin 33 as 'AC Recirc', not Fan 2. And if you have no AC, set it to 'Not Fitted'.
    I will check that one.

I do have AC, its a Vintage air kt though and not controlled by the ECU. Have a trinary switch that will turn on the high fan once ac is engaged. Have not set that up just yet as Ihad to remake all the lines due to the swap.

I was wondering if/how I could manually turn the fans on.

OK let me restate that. If the PCM is not controlling an AC compressor and not reading the various pressure switches/other inputs, it needs to be set to Not Fitted.

In VCM Scanner, click the icon up top that looks like a power button. I think fans are under 'System' tab (I am not a Gen3 guy).

Perfect. I will take care of that today and test out the fans.

That did it. Fans come on as they are supposed to, and I can command them on/off in the scanner.

Thanks again.

Sorry its been a bit, was sorting out some AC issues have not had a chance to drive it much. Got my hands on a set of LS2 injectors, just awaiting the adapters so I can install them. Having a hard time tracking down a stock 2004 LS2 tune (i do not have repository access). So while I am awaiting the adapters I figured might as well start with the transmission.

I downloaded the Blue cat trans software to get the table data. I had a question about the "performance" tables. I do not have a switch, its the stock 99 computer, do I set the Shift General - General - Pref Option to "No Switch"?

Advanced Tuner
    That sounds about right. I believe the ls2 came out in 05 so no 04 data. I could get you somthing when im home if no one else does
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Thanks, I got one from a 05 G8. The injector flow data looks correct 33lbs, now just awaiting the adapters.

Okay done a little bit with the transmission. Used the BC software, put in the values and went for a drive realized pretty quick thats for a performance tune, and toned it down a bunch.

So I was out for a run earlier today, and ran into something I have not run into before.

25 jul 2.hpl

At the end of the run, I gave her a bit took it up to about 5800rpm and it started cutting out like I hit a rev limiter or something. Any ideas what that could have been? Well beside me maxing out the injectors?

Per the tune file in post 24, the rev limiter is 5,600rpm.

That log shows you hitting 5,600 rpm and thus tripping the limiter.

Raise the limiter a few hundred rpm and make it so that it shifts gears at your rpm and mph target so it doesn't tag the rev limiter.

Yeah it's out of injector but it's also much richer than commanded at full throttle. The target is 12.5 but the wideband shows 11.7-12.0 on avg. So being a little leaner will give you a few percent of the duty cycle back but it'll still be well over 90%.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Okay thanks, glad it was a rev limiter, thought something was wrong! Still awaiting my adapters for those new injectors.

Oh turning off the throttle cracker fixed the hanging RPM when slowing to idle. But now it wants to drop to 650RPM.