Thread: TMS 408 TFS215 start up tune help

Tuner in Training

TMS 408 TFS215 start up tune help

As the title states, I have a 408 stroker in my 86 IROC and I am using a 02 Camaro ECU. Below are the details of the build:
    TMS 408 LQ4 -15 cc pistons. should be around 10.7:1 CR
    TFS 215s 59 cc.
    240/248 115+4 lsa
    Fast 102 intake/fast 92mm tb
    1 3/4 lt headers
    SLP underdrive pulley
    42lb injectors
    t56 with 9" 3.70 gears

Can you guys take a look at my base tune and logs and let me know what you think and what your recommended changes are and why?

I have three logs attached. start up, cruising around the neighborhood, and idle once warmed up. the logs were done in closed loop MAF only with narrow bands. I have a WB but didn't want to log in open loop MAF in case it needed fuel I wanted the narrow bands to correct it. I used them kind of a safety net. once I have the trims within safe error, I will connect the WB and fine tune.

notes>>cold start up... the car would not start on its own without me feathering the throttle, but once it was running and I let off the gas slowly it idled on its own until it reached operating temp then it stalled out.

notes>>cruising..... it surged a bit at low speeds, but once running it felt OK, but coasting down to a stop would stall if I didn't feather the gas.

notes>>warm idle.... I tried to get the lowest MAP kpa, but the lowest I could get was 60 and 55at 26* is that ok? I went as high as 30* with no improvements.

If you recommend I log other parameters please let me know and why. Thanks in advance.19-05-26 TMS 408 TFS 215 Startup.hpl19-05-26 TMS 408 TFS 215 cruise.hpl19-05-26 TMS 408 TFS 215 idle.hpl408 base tune.hpt

Did you do that spike to the base running airflow?

I'd probably go back to stock and just add 10-15% across the board as a trial thing at first. I'd try going the opposite way with timing, aim for 18-22 degrees and see what that is like instead of asking for 26 degrees or more. Maybe cut the under/over speed spark corrections a tad too, so it can't jump around as much.

Are you running 43.5 or 58psi of fuel pressure and are those injectors rated at 42lb/hr at 43.5 or 58psi?

Is all the data correct for those injectors, what brand are they?

The current tune isn't setup to run MAF only, it has the 1 BAR MAF upgrade but the dynamic airflow setting is still using mixed MAF/VE up to 4,000rpm. In just about all cases if you can get the VE fueling in line and the MAF fueling in line, all the idle settings will go much smoother. Because you won't be fighting a lean/rich condition.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what you mean by the spike in the BRA. All I did to the BRA was add about 2 g/s across the table. IF you mean in the scanner, then yes. I was feathering the gas to keep it running until it the car could idle on its own.

I did try going the opposite way with the timing, but it was decreasing my vacuum. at 22* it went to 65 kpa.

As for the over/underspeed, I read in the ERM tuning course that you want reduce over/under spark corrections, so I did do that. Are you recommending that I reduce it even more?

The injector data is correct. I had those same injectors in the car before the 408 and it ran great. They are the Fast 42lb injectors @58 psi.

I will go back and ensure the tune is in MAF only and then VE only tune. Thanks again. I will try to mess with it again and report back.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP,

Update.... So I went back and made sure I was in MAF only and adjusted the BRA. The car runs much better and does not stall out when coming to a stop. I attached two logs of the initial start up and a cruise. I also continued to play with the timing to see if I could get better vacuum, but it seems that 26* get the lowest kpa. Standing by for any other recommendations.
    Attached Files Attached Files