Thread: Wideband Usage

Potential Tuner

Wideband Usage

Hi everyone, I?m waiting for my wideband to get delivered, but I have a question for anyone willing to answer. When I install my wideband O2, do you guys recommend leaving it installed, or should I remove it when I?m done logging? I?m a street tuner, with really no dyno available to me unless I drive a few hours from home. I?m mainly wondering about longevity of the sensor, I am also aware that the O2s in my car stay there all the time, but was just wondering if it would have a negative impact on a wideband O2. Thanks ahead of time for any help.
    Last edited by rathair777; 05-28-2019 at 05:04 AM.

You need to keep the sensor heated otherwise it will fail prematurely. Heated with it's heater.

Potential Tuner
    So should I leave it installed, this way it?ll stay heated from the exhaust gases? This is starting to make sense.

Advanced Tuner
    If the sensor is in the exhaust, it MUST be running with the controller/heater. The sensor needs to be hotter than the exhaust gas to keep deposits from settling on it, and, fouling the element. So, if you are not going to run the controller, remove the sensor from the exhaust, and use a plug ( or an old NB sensor) in its place.

More importantly, NEVER start the engine with the sensor pre-heated. This is the #1 ( and #2 and #3 ) way to kill off a sensor. The sensor's heater "warms" the CERAMIC element to over 1000degF. When hit with a rush relatively cold startup air, the element fractures. Eventually, the cracks make their way to a vital part of the element, and, it, goes bad.

For inexplicable reasons, the wideband manufacturers never seem to tell anyone this. Many people believe that they are preserving their sensor when they "warm it up" before starting the engine. But, they are the 1st to have their sensors die off