Thread: 01 Tahoe tuning help

Potential Tuner

01 Tahoe tuning help

I?m completely new to tuning, never messed with it before or anything. I?m wanting to try and learn it. Could someone walk me through the basic steps to make my 01 tahoe 5.3 make more power? I want it to be more torquey, and overall have more speed etc.
    thanks in advanced.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    get a wideband installed, read up on speed density tuning (SD), maf tuning, and how to make histograms that match your editor tables.
    correct all of your fueling using the wideband in sd and maf modes, then work on adding a smidge of timing. it doesnt typically take much timing as the stock oem tables are already pretty good.

the sticky section provides a good start. there are videos on setting up widebands as well. if you have a pro unit use the adapter harness inputs and if you dont then steal an egr sensor wire too the ecu for your wideband. the write-ups cover both options.

Your general question gets asked and answered so many times its easier to tell you the key topics to be searching for so you can read up on whats been repeated over and over again. the basic steps cover a lot of material; typically books which places like the Tuning School, hp academy, and ERM Performance offer. When you get stuck you just come back here and the active users should be able to straighten you out.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Add power to the engine through aftermarket parts.

If you gain 10-15hp with a tune, you'll be lucky on a stock 2001 engine. There just isn't enough you can do when the cam/heads/exhaust won't let you make more power.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    HI everyone can anyone give some info.I got an 2002 tahoe 5.3L I try to read the pcm but when its go about 3 percent it failed reading and says READER UPLOAD INVALID CHECKSUM.whats the matter for this one?

Thanks