Thread: MAC Install

MAC Install

Have had Race Render for a long time, several years, never had an issue downloading and installing on my imac. got a new imac, downloads, runs through installation, but no icon in Applications folder, can't find anything but a couple random folders on the hard drive.

there's a link with a zip file to DIY install if you have problems with the installer. however, I only see .exe, which is a windows file? and no real way to use that, not sure where to drop those files.

just need some help getting this to work.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Have had Race Render for a long time, several years, never had an issue downloading and installing on my imac. got a new imac, downloads, runs through installation, but no icon in Applications folder, can't find anything but a couple random folders on the hard drive.

there's a link with a zip file to DIY install if you have problems with the installer. however, I only see .exe, which is a windows file? and no real way to use that, not sure where to drop those files.

just need some help getting this to work.
    Same here. I tried the Mac manual install, pointing the app to the templates etc. Copied the *.app file over and still barks at me when launching. In for a solution

Edit: looks like it hasn't been fixed. I've tried this as well.
    Last edited by lemansbluem3; 05-30-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 10.59.18 AM.png

The manual install ZIP file contains both Windows and Mac versions, so Mac users will want to simply ignore all the .exe and .dll files.

Fortunately, the process is fairly simple for Mac, albeit slightly confusing because what you want here are the two that are both named "RaceRender 3"... One is a folder containing templates and styles, which you should drag into your own user "Documents" folder. The other is the actual application (has a .app extension but you usually wont see that), and if you drag that into your computer's main "Applications" folder, it will then appear in Launchpad. Alternatively, you can put it on your desktop or wherever else and launch it directly from there.

As for the Mac installer... yeah, that has unfortunately become increasingly problematic and Apple has since abandoned the tool that creates it, so we'll probably replace it at some point. It does still work in many cases, but seems to have the problem happen most when applying an update on top of an existing installation, although trying it repeatedly sometimes works (same for rebooting the computer and trying again). It acts a bit like some sort of race condition that we aren't given any control over. I share your frustrations. We may end up just going to the .dmg approach that so many other Mac apps use, although that's really just a manual install process in disguise and has its own drawbacks.

thank you

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 10.59.18 AM.png

The manual install ZIP file contains both Windows and Mac versions, so Mac users will want to simply ignore all the .exe and .dll files.

Fortunately, the process is fairly simple for Mac, albeit slightly confusing because what you want here are the two that are both named "RaceRender 3"... One is a folder containing templates and styles, which you should drag into your own user "Documents" folder. The other is the actual application (has a .app extension but you usually wont see that), and if you drag that into your computer's main "Applications" folder, it will then appear in Launchpad. Alternatively, you can put it on your desktop or wherever else and launch it directly from there.

As for the Mac installer... yeah, that has unfortunately become increasingly problematic and Apple has since abandoned the tool that creates it, so we'll probably replace it at some point. It does still work in many cases, but seems to have the problem happen most when applying an update on top of an existing installation, although trying it repeatedly sometimes works (same for rebooting the computer and trying again). It acts a bit like some sort of race condition that we aren't given any control over. I share your frustrations. We may end up just going to the .dmg approach that so many other Mac apps use, although that's really just a manual install process in disguise and has its own drawbacks.

I've also been using Race Render for years without issues, but with the last two updates the installer has failed to work. Took me a while to work out where the Mac files were in amongst the Windows stuff in the install.zip!

Have you looked at the option of using the Mac App Store? That way update would be delivered direct to your customers, rather than us having to check and then download. I know getting that up and running could be tricky; you'd had to make the program free on the App Store for a very limited period so that we could all "switch" over to that system. Once done, it would work seamlessly.

Most of my Mac apps work this way now. Just a thought!

Potential Tuner
    I have "RaceRender3" folder in my overall Documents folder. I tried to create a "Documents" folder under my user name and it said that it was duplicated. But RaceRender still comes up saying that there are no template files. The package put the RaceRender3 into the Documents folder. I used the .zip to pull the app over. I can manually hunt down the templates. It looks like RaceRender3 is looking for templates in the iCloud Documents folder. How do I change that default setting?

Potential Tuner
    I did the regular Mac install on an older MacBook Pro - same OS - and it worked straight out of the box. I then copied the racerender3 folder to the iCloud documents folder and this made it work. Any help on how to change the default search folder for racerender3 for the templates?
    David