Thread: ETC problems?

Tuner in Training

ETC problems?

I need some help on this. A buddies truck has never performed like it should and its drive by wire. Im trying to eliminate the possibility of the TB not doing what it should be and the pcm taking control of it.

Below is a picture of a scan that doesnt make sense or maybe Im reading it wrong. At 30%tps going to WOT and the actual postion is
    100tps (or that is whats being reported) but the
    desired tps is 8%.
    Is this normal?
    How is desired TPS calculated?
    Is it possible we are missing some tables that control the ETC behavior?

Tuner in Training
    here is the scan pick

APP Position does not equal throttle position *or* ETC position. ETC position is where the throttle is NOW.

Desired position is for idle (IIRC).

Throttle seems to be behaving correctly.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    APP Position does not equal throttle position *or* ETC position. ETC position is where the throttle is NOW.

Desired position is for idle (IIRC).

Throttle seems to be behaving correctly.
    What tables are associated with the TB closing to limit engine torque?
    What tables do you change to ensure that the driver has total control over the TB and not the pcm, what are the actual values?
    thanks

Torque Management: ETC TPS Max table.
    Set all values to 100% and you have no more ETC torque management.

Tuner in Training
    He disable the P0121 max-min map for ETC last night and he swears it makes a difference. He showed me a log of it spinning through 65mph and its never done even close to that.

Any thoughts on p0121?

Guess if it works use it..

Quote Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
    He disable the P0121 max-min map for ETC last night and he swears it makes a difference. He showed me a log of it spinning through 65mph and its never done even close to that.

Any thoughts on p0121?
    Weird, my P0121 is for TP Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity. Which is not enabled.
    What year is your buddies truck?
    Born on 11/20/06 07' GMC Sierra DMax EC 4x4 HPT

SOLD:2003 Silverado ECSB 4x4, LQ9, Patriot LS6, TR230/224, 31lb inj, TB Stall, HPT & LC-1.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Zick
    Weird, my P0121 is for TP Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity. Which is not enabled.
    What year is your buddies truck?
    I believe its either an 03 or 04.

Checkout this track vid you can actually hear it slowly opening, he leaves at 100tps and it doesnt sound like its open till well after the 60ft it did this with two different cams and two sets of heads we couldnt figure it out. It should have been running alot better times for 400whp
    http://media.putfile.com/84-piedmont-1
    Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 09-13-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
    I believe its either an 03 or 04.

Checkout this track vid you can actually hear it slowly opening, he leaves at 100tps and it doesnt sound like its open till well after the 60ft it did this with two different cams and two sets of heads we couldnt figure it out. It should have been running alot better times for 400whp
    http://media.putfile.com/84-piedmont-1
    Yeah I can hear what your describing, strange.
    Too bad you can't mount a camera under the hood and video tape the TB it see if its really not opening all the way.
    Born on 11/20/06 07' GMC Sierra DMax EC 4x4 HPT

SOLD:2003 Silverado ECSB 4x4, LQ9, Patriot LS6, TR230/224, 31lb inj, TB Stall, HPT & LC-1.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Zick
    Yeah I can hear what your describing, strange.
    Too bad you can't mount a camera under the hood and video tape the TB it see if its really not opening all the way.
    Ive thought about that; another thing we discovered tonight is that ETC desired position goes to about 35% with the pedal all the way down and if you mash on the pedal very hard while its on the floor the value will increase the harder you mash it dont know what the hell is going on there

Can someone outline what each ETC reading exactly is

Does the ETC% ever make it to 100%? If not the APP sensors may be having problems or there is too much carpeting between it and the floor.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Does the ETC% ever make it to 100%? If not the APP sensors may be having problems or there is too much carpeting between it and the floor.
    Thats what we've been looking at the ETC pedal postion goes to 40% and thats mashing the hell out of it, thought about simply putting a spacer on the bottom bolt.
    Does anyones ETC pedal position go to 100%?
    Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 09-16-2006 at 12:21 AM.

If you delete (right click) the Throttle Position (SAE) PID and replace it (right click as well) with ETC Posititon % (under Engine>General) you will get the correct throttle position.

Skip the Pedal position/

As long as one of the APP sensors is rising while the other is falling --voltage wise, they are in agreement and the throttle will do it's thing.
    They don't go to 100% ever. The APP position is again a percentage of 5 volts. Or you can monitor both APP position sensors in voltage. If that will help you understand how they work then that is good.

EC

Tuner in Training
    EC
    so as long as etc% is 100 that means the blade is 100%?
    everything is 100 except pedal and desired

can you explain the P0121?
    and how it ties into whatever is making the tires burn off when it didnt before maxing it out?

thanks

You can verify ETC 100% = horizontal blade. Just have someone look into the TB while someone else pushes the APP pedal. If you get 100% and the blade is horizontal, your're good to go.

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...ag_general.htm

Advanced Tuner
    God info,I always set the ETC table to 100%.I have check to make sure that the throttle blade is fully open when the pedal is to the floor,and it is.My only thing,is even though it may end up 100%,if I hammer on it I do not want that blade to slowly open,I want it to open 100% immediatly ya know

Electronic gismos are so much fun aren't they?

When you whack it, do you get 100% on the ETC%?

If you really want to see how fast things move, delete all PIDS and just put in ETC% and ETC Desired%. You will get a lot more data per second that way....

EC