Thread: Losing my mind!!!

Tuner in Training

Exclamation Losing my mind!!!

I just recently did a full build on my truck, here's the major specs.

GEN4 LY5
    fully built bottom end
    243 heads
    Comp BTR spec'd boost cam. DUR @.050 227/244, LSA 115, lift .613/.596
    GEN3 conversion, drilled tapped knock sensors, front cam sensor, 1x
    TBSS intake
    88mm TB
    Wideband, reads perfectly with the display.
    TRE performance 60lb injectors @43.5 psi (roughly 70.1lb @58psi) supposed the be the same specs as DEKA
    Kenne Bell boost-a-pump w/3psi ref switch
    walbro 255, 58 psi nominal, 90ish on BAP
    3.3 bar MAP
    quick read temp sensor (reads accurately, matches ECT cold)
    MAF delete
    D1 Procharger, FMIC air to air.
    1-7/8 LTH, full 3" exhaust, straight piped
    TR6 plugs gapped to .042 IIRC
    MSD wires
    MPVI2 PRO w/pro cable

I had it idling pretty good on the maf although it was at 10:1 FR it sounded good no SES just to get a few heat cycles and check everything out under the hood. THEN I did a 3 bar map operating system update, from there everything went to hell. I have never done a GM SD tune before and after 2 weeks of research and working on it off and on it's time to humble myself and ask for help. I have tuned a lot with MAF and I have been very successful with that many times over, idle airflow, VE tables, PE tables, KR, timing high/low OCT tables, etc... I am very familiar with the process. however this has me stumped, if I load the tune the way it is here it will run as long as it is above 20% throttle and at a horrible 18.5-18.8 AFR (will not idle). when I try to log ve error table and make corrections to the VE it will not run more than 3 sec no matter what I do. even if I take this VE map and just add 10% across the board it will not run more than 3 seconds. I'm sure this will look like a mess, but I can not keep it running long enough to log idle airflow, and cant make changes to the VE to get it where it needs to be. I do not believe there are any mechanical/electrical issues at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

57821708_1074422019418731_1327462863777824768_n.jpg58663989_2031160180325673_4779597335367778304_n.jpg60482875_750325385383204_7777753583381905408_n.jpg60997581_464682637610429_673772599423008768_n.jpg

Here's the first start video from a while back lol

Last edited by blbarlow2007; 05-30-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: forgot to embed vid

That MAP sensor data is wrong for a 3.3bar MAP. I do not suggest running the 3.3 bar as those mainly came in the duramax trucks. I use just a normal 3 bar sensor and make sure the linear and offset data match the sensor.

The wrong data is a major reason why it will not run correctly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The map sensor was a direct pnp and I contacted the seller and was told it didn't matter whether it was 3 or 3.3 just to use those settings. I know that is wrong, but I tried to get the scaling right. It reads 105 kpa key on engine off. Do you see anything else out of the way in the tune? If I need too I can just order another sensor.

105-106kpa with the KOEO is not correct.

That would be like you living way under sea level. Should be 99-100kpa at sea level and less if you live higher. You need to figure out what data is going to make it read correct or get a sensor that has known good data.

Once that is figured out, see if it runs better. I do suggest setting the tune to run in open loop only for the time being, so nothing can alter the fueling on you. Then you can add/remove the VE as required to let it run and drive.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So my local bar is 101.3 kpa. Theoretically if I can get the sensor to read this koeo should I be in the ballpark? Sloppy said it should be 333.33 and 33.33, but I'm thinking the offset is what I need to play with right? So maybe set the top number 333.33 and then adjust the offset until It reads my current atmosphere?

Tuner in Training

Arrow

Hello again! Thank you for your help so far, I made a lot of progress this evening and got the map sensor data set up. It now reads correctly and also matches my vacuum/boost gauge perfectly. Now that I can start the truck and idle fine I'm having another estrange problem and can't seem to figure it out...at least yet. No matter what I do to the VE table it runs really lean, pretty much 17.8-18.8 AFR. I made some adjustments to the fuel injector timing and that did not seem to help at all. I also calibrated my wideband just to make sure it was ok, and also it does read perfectly between hptuners and the gauge itself. would you guys mind looking over the tune and see what is causing it to lean out? Also I'm not sure what happened but I no longer get VE error table readings, if you see something there that would also be helpful. I really appreciate the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You say its lean, but the fuel trims show its trying to pull fuel. I also see its reading 8 degrees of KR just sitting there idling. With the added injector size, you need to lower min fuel milligrams in the transient tab as well.

You keep talking wideband readings but you still have it in closed loop. You can't tune based on the wideband when its in closed loop.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    How it's it in closed loop mode? What did I miss?

Advanced Tuner
    Looking at your log the fuel trims are still active and working, meaning you have corrections taking place, thus fueling is being adjusted and you can't make changes based on what the wideband says.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    So I got it into open loop, I accidently had stft enabled, don't know how that happened. It is now showing no correction in ltft it stft. I can not, no matter what I do get my wideband to read anything besides 17.8-18.8 event though I can tell it is not running that lean. Also I can't under any circumstances get my ve error table to log anything besides zero and I had it working before. Everything seems to be set correctly in the vcm scanner, so I feel something in the tune is causing this. When I made adjustments to the transient fuel it will no longer idle or run well at all. So I am once again LOSING MY MIND. As I previously mentioned the truck mechanically has been ready to hit the track for over 3 weeks, this tune has now caused me to miss my first event. If anyone can take some time to look through my tune and give me some insight I would really really appreciate it, I'm about ready to pay for a dyno tune and get this nightmare over with....
    Last edited by blbarlow2007; 06-04-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    here's the newest files, thanks

Senior Tuner
    Your wideband isn't working properly. The narrow bands show that you're really rich at idle and part throttle.
    Try the attached tune file and see how it performs.

Brandon TB v8 3 bar SD conversion + injectors + trans + MAP fail + idle changes VEmod1.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, we figuredd that out last night. it wasw working perfectly and then somehow went bad at the exact time that I did the 3 baqr conversion. so naturally I thought it was the tune not the sideband. You can even see it working on the video i posted. I'm installing a new sensor now.