Thread: leaning out on idle

leaning out on idle

(2006 mustang gt 4.6 3v manual trans) after a few seconds at idle my afr gauge will lean out all the way in to error state im brand new at tuning and know very little about it any body got any ideas on what this could be ?

Advanced Tuner
    you either do one of two things adjust injector pulse which or adjust MAF TRANSFER, the Maf is the preferred way

or you have a bad wideband o2 . I had a bad wideband do the same thing to me

the shop that done the tune said they did something on idle to make my cams sound more aggressive and told me not to pay attention to the afr gauge on idle after about 40 miles the car sounded like a old tractor on idle so i sent him a video of what it was doing and he emailed me a tune that corrected the problem some so I drove the car a hour away to his shop and he told me he didnt have time to mess with it I would have to bring it back and leave it not easy for me to just leave it when im a hour away now that ive bought hp tuners im going to try to correct the problem myself and after pulling his tune and seeing some of the stuff he done i dont know that i would take it back if he wanted me too one thing he did was disable my mil light all together so it wouldnt ever come on why would he do that unless he just wanted to make sure the car never came back anyways that was a lesson learned now im stuck trying to figure it out

Advanced Tuner
    Post a tune and log file.

If they put a bunch of cam overlap at idle, it can dump fresh air into the exhaust and show a false lean condition.

I will get a good idle data log of idle for anyone to review
    Attached Files Attached Files

i data logged the cold start and my afr looked good all the way up to running temp drove the car down the road and back let it idle again and it leaned out for a while then the afr came back to normal
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    What cams are in the engine ?

Comp thumpr cams
    Come phaser limiters
    Steeda charge motion delete plates
    Steeda under drive Pulleys
    K&N cold air intake
    Ford racing phasers and timing chain kit
    Ford racing high volume oil pump
    Bbk long tube header
    Bbk off road x pipe
    It does have a aftermarket MAF I?ll have to look again to confirm the brand
    And I have a bbk twin 62 throttle body that I don?t know if I?m gonna put back on or not

not looking for this car to have max horse power just want as good as i can get driveability

If you want good driveability, ditch the aftermarket MAF.