Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If anyone is interested here is a 2013 veloster turbo Auto factory tune

Tuner in Training

If anyone is interested here is a 2013 veloster turbo Auto factory tune

New to tuning but after getting the walk around from multiple "tuners" I decided to mess with the car myself. I understand being a 2013 it is already a grenade with the pin pulled so I am not looking to go crazy. So far I have just been playing with the DFCO and the results are some nice exhaust notes on deceleration.

Any tips would be awesome!

velosterturbostock.hpt

Still getting familiar with this interface; I'm not too crazy about the tune history feature. Seems the only way to see changes without having a virgin/unmodified tune is to right-click on the folder representing a set of changes and "Open as Compare File." What's weird is that your first set of changes were shown, but you had another set of the same maps listed about 90s later and it looked like they were restored back to the stock values! Can you please confirm what values you changed (from and to) in which maps?

Anyway, that kludginess aside, what mods (detailed list, please) do you have and what are your goals for the car? The biggest problems with the stock '13 tune are not enough fueling in the "LSPI zone" (1500-3000 RPM) and too much boost.

Weak internals is a myth started by those who don't fully understand how LSPI is caused (many variables and catalysts). Yes, Hyundai increased the thickness of the rods starting in '14 (and again in '15), but if LSPI happens, the weakest components are still going to break and the block will still be windowed. The recent recall for '13s is just about to start, so it will be interesting to see what changes are made in the tune by Hyundai. Hoping someone here with a '13 gets the recall done, so we can compare and see for ourselves.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-04-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by zugig View Post
    Still getting familiar with this interface; I'm not too crazy about the tune history feature. Seems the only way to see changes without having a virgin/unmodified tune is to right-click on the folder representing a set of changes and "Open as Compare File." What's weird is that your first set of changes were shown, but you had another set of the same maps listed about 90s later and it looked like they were restored back to the stock values! Can you please confirm what values you changed (from and to) in which maps?

Anyway, that kludginess aside, what mods (detailed list, please) do you have and what are your goals for the car? The biggest problems with the stock '13 tune are not enough fueling in the "LSPI zone" (1500-3000 RPM) and too much boost.

Weak internals is a myth started by those who don't fully understand how LSPI is caused (many variables and catalysts). Yes, Hyundai increased the thickness of the rods starting in '14 (and again in '15), but if LSPI happens, the weakest components are still going to break and the block will still be windowed. The recent recall for '13s is just about to start, so it will be interesting to see what changes are made in the tune by Hyundai. Hoping someone here with a '13 gets the recall done, so we can compare and see for ourselves.
    I did have a dumb moment the first time I edited and saved I forgot to change the name before hitting save. Luckily the factory #s are 0.00 for the most part in the "oxidization delay" . Ill attach what is currently flashed onto the car.

The car only has 845s 3.5" intake and a custom axle back I made. If i decide to keep the car within the next year I will be finishing up the larger FMIC and install the better fuel line and possibly meth but mostly for its cleaning properties. Good to hear if it was just a myth but do you have any documentation that shows that? The biggest thing for me keeping the car is knowing I am not going to have to drop 2k on internals just to make it happy. I try to keep the car from building more then 5lbs of boost under 2500 rpm and just kick it over into sport if I need to pass someone ect. That with the combination of 91-92 octane and heat soaking the car with either crc or seafoam through a vacuum line seems to be keeping it alive.

Ideally a small increase in power would be nice and taking better advantage of higher octane fuel 91+ would be nice. As the car is right now with the factory fuel under WOT its amazing the amount of unburnt fuel that comes out the pipes. Ive had people ask if it was a diesel lol

Im waiting to see if my car falls into the recall but my recent VIN check on their recall website says its not. I feel this is going to be much like the collapsing fuel line scenario where Hyundai says its only certain ones yet they all share the same part #s and look identical.velosterturboDFCOtune.hpt

Tuner in Training
    PM'd you a request

Tuner in Training
    So I played with logging some cruising and a few short wot pulls. Is it normal for this cars timing to be all over the place constantly? I realized after I got home that I forgot to add some things like boost and AFR.

veloster wot and cruise 6-6-19.hpl

Sorry, VJ, been super busy. To answer your query about 2013s that survive, there are a bunch on the VT forum. Some are tuned, some are not. Aside from that, it is very difficult to prove a negative condition like that.

The bottom line is, the better and more thoroughly you maintain the engine (zealous and overzealous, even), the longer it will live.

Any good tuner knows that the absolute first thing you do is get your fueling sorted. I prefer smoothing out the TB after that. Then it becomes an iterative process of adding load/torque in small increments, tweaking/smoothing boost maps and tweaking/smoothing timing last, driving/testing, logging, rinse and repeat.

However, you always need to be minding your fueling every time you log. If any changes or mods have negative effects on fueling, you need to fix it straight away.

I will not spoon feed you but I will give ideas or point you in one direction or another.

Another thing to be mindful of is that much of what this ECM does is based on various temperatures. Get familiar with all maps that refer to temperature. You must do lots of heat reduction mods for success, stability and longevity.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-06-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks zugig, any nudge in a general direction helps. Even after I sell this car I plan to dig deeper into tuning.

Things just got more interesting because I just received the recall notice in the mail to bring the car in. It will be interesting to see what they change or if its even something I am able to see with the software. One article mentioned something about them changing the ignition advance. Hopefully the car doesnt come back a dog that cant move out of its own way. It wouldnt shock me if Hyundai would strip the car of power just to save the engine. Should I flash the factory settings back onto the car before I go you think?
    Last edited by VelosterJames; 06-08-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Definitely. Put the stock tune back on or just reverse the changes. They may have the capability to see how many times it has been flashed, but if there isn't a problem otherwise, they'll just happily overwrite the ECM with the update.

This is the perfect scenario so we can see exactly what they are changing to "remediate" the faulty behavior. I'll be able to tell right away whether they did a decent job or insufficient. There is the possibility that they change some things that HPT doesn't have defined, but HPT has the majority of everything needed to create a decent tune.

When are you going to get it done?

Tuner in Training
    Hopefully later this week. Im going to call tomorrow and see how backed up they are and set up the appointment. Any chance you think that what they do will make the car unreadable for me? Id be pissed if I payed for 4 credits and hardware only to have Hyundai change something that renders all that useless.

Very low probability. It's a 6-7 year-old car.

Looked at your log. First thing that immediately jumps out is that you need to clean up the channels/PIDs list. Go through and remove all the empty rows. Noticed that a lot are there by default for whitespace purposes. I prefer a condensed list, ordered in groups of similarity.

If you don't want to take the time to redo everything, attached are some XML files I created, based on previous experience using Torque Pro. One is my preference for minimum PIDs to log and general order, the other is simply a properties file that uses a condensed font to get some screen space back. The polling interval for the majority have the default interval, so those should be tweaked to preference. I'll update those over time as I review more logs. It'd also be nice to be able to change the PID channel names to more intuitive (or shorter) ones.

z-pid-min.channels.xml - Minimum PID Channels
    z.channeldisplay.xml - Channel Display Properties

Played around with the graphs to get better info (used absolute load on Y axis and added more RPM points):
    z.graphdisplay.xml - Graph Display Properties
    z.timing.table.xml - Timing (Spark Advance) Table config
    z.retard.table.xml - Retard (Spark) Table config
    z.boost.table.xml - Boost (MAP) Table config

You can use these as examples to make your own configs from. Note that if you don't use the VCM Scanner file naming convention, the program won't recognize them.
    Last edited by zugig; 06-10-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I will certainly be interested to see what is done to the 2013 calibration to remedy the conditions they are describing. I have done extensive research into the differences between various MY calibration differences, with 2013-late 2014 cals seeing the biggest changes.

As zugig has said, it will be easy to tell if their changes are beneficial to health and/or detrimental to power.

As for your own tuning, if you are particularly interested in furthering your knowledge you should look online for more resources. There is a forum dedicated to Bosch motronics, you will find what you need there and the rest can be learned through testing and gentle guidance from zugig and myself.

Tuner in Training
    Well went to leave work today and all of the sudden the car wont start. Turns over fine but does not even try to fire. Is it possible its something I did when I was last writing the car or would any problems shown up the second I went to start the car after flashing? The little diagnosing I did is pointing towards the fuel pump not getting power but the fuse is good and I" swapped the relay. Go figure.

Nope. Parts do fail and usually without warning. Good time to upgrade to a higher flowing pump.

Aeromotive Stealth 340 #11542 is the one you want. {EDIT: confirmed this is not plug and play, but requires minor wiring reconfiguration.}

Also a good time to upgrade the weak factory low pressure fuel line. All VT vendors charge too much for them though. You can probably have a custom fuel line built locally by a speed shop for ~$100-120.
    Last edited by zugig; 09-26-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Ive spent the last 3 hours trying to diagnose the car. Even directly wiring 12v to the pump which made it run did not allow the car to even try to start. Just turn over and over. Wires check out but I" can only get a split second blip on the meter showing any kind of voltage being sent when the car first starts to crank. Nothing when I just cycle the ignition to RUN. Its off to the dealer it goes for now. Hopefully its something simple and cheap and then they can flash the new software. Ill post up the new file when I get the car back.

Tuner in Training
    Well got the car back finally. Went to read the car and immediately had an issue. When I would click READ it would start the process and immediately come up with "Unknown controllers detected. Specify or read again" .... finally after scrolling through the "hardware" tab I found the only one that had hyundai in it and viola the read commenced. 36 minutes later and its done Except now I cant open the file...ugh. "definition failed to load yada yada yada". Any ideas? Here is what I got and saved.velosterafterrecall.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Heard back from support. Will have to wait for a software update with the new definition added. Hopefully that happens soon.

Will not be able to look at it until then.

Tuner in Training
    I can now open the tune file with the newest BETA vcm editor. They certainly changed some stuff around.

Just grabbed the latest beta and your post-recall file. Some of the maps have different header values where the data values didn't change. You can ignore those. Looks like the def needs a little more work but it's good enough to view the cell data.

Very interesting what they did; some of it is opposite of expectations, other things were expected, yet other maps were modified that generally aren't touched by tuners, so it gives some hints on things that can be modified going forward.

One thing that was very unexpected was that they actually reduced knock sensor sensitivity for all cylinders in some areas! Another was that while they added fuel on driver demand (hard/wide open throttle) up top (good), in turn they actually leaned it out further in the LSPI zone (not good)... Then they added a lot of timing, reduced load only a little bit but added torque. Strangely they didn't adjust any turbo/boost-related maps except for enabling diagnostics (default was disabled). Just goes to show how complex this ECM is and how there are many methods to achieve desired results.

Anyway, you're good to proceed with using this as your base, or you can keep using your original base, then go through all the changed maps and copy over the new values you'd like to use. Props to HPT for turning this around relatively quickly.

It's a good idea to put the recall file on and take it for a spin to capture some data with the scanner. Please grab those XML files I posted above and add each, so we have the same layout for analysis and I'll help you out in reviewing datalogs. Big thanks to you for providing the recall file; quite enlightening!
    Last edited by zugig; 06-27-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    When I get time I think I may flash back to the original tune and do some logging and then flash to the post recall tune and re create the same logging as close as I can. Im curious to see what changes if any occur. For now its onto the next problem which is under hard acceleration I get a noticeable cut in power almost like the traction control is kicking in and also figuring out why I ate through spark plugs with less than 10k. New plugs and the same issue is still there but im shocked I wasnt getting a missfire with the one plug. I will say the car drives noticeably different at low speed. It seems to have more low end grunt or maybe I just have an overactive imagination.20190629_223602.jpg