Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If anyone is interested here is a 2013 veloster turbo Auto factory tune

Tuner in Training
    The tsb for the evap canister was already done a while back. Im just going to ignore them as a fluke because they have not returned. Im going to order a new upper 02 sensor tomorrow. Is the factory one my best option?

Tuner in Training
    Well sh&T..decided to pull the xp5703 plugs and check them.

20190806_190616.jpg

Tuner
    Yes, OEM O2 sensor

Need better pictures of plugs or really just better plugs instead of using those. HKS M45XL or NGK R2556G-9 at .028"

The EVAP DTC was likely just from messing with the fuel system.

Anyway, I prefer the NTK 24348 as a higher quality choice than OEM for the front oxygen sensor. $107 shipped on Amazon. NTK is essentially the same manufacturer for sensors as NGK is for spark plugs.

Time to get better spark plugs. I prefer the NGK R2556G-9; you can get them quickly and reasonably-priced from sparkplugs.com.
    Last edited by zugig; 08-07-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Been awhile... Any updates?

Another bump for status.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry guys been fairly busy. I installed a new front oxygen sensor and fuel line from BTR but I have not gotten around to ordering new coils or plugs as of yet. I gave the NTK sensor a shot but I now sometimes feel the car surging under moderate load. Have not really pushed the car too hard lately to see if my previous issue was resolved. I seem to remember one of the changes the software update made was that it adjusted the 02 sensors delay at certain points and now that has me wondering if having an new sensor is throwing things off. Ill have to wait until I am off work today to go over and compare the files.

If I think of it I will hook up and log the car on my way home tonight and post the results.

The front O2 sensor was needed just to address the weird measured lambda fluctuations and has zero effect on "surging" behavior. I had zero problems with the NTK front O2 sensor on a fairly aggressively tuned '14 AT VT on E60 up to E85.

Performance tuning should not be done until you have a stable foundation mechanically, so get the recommended OEM ignition coils and NGK R2556G-9 spark plugs.

I reviewed the whole thread again and didn't see the following:

• Original owner or not
    • Current vehicle mileage
    • Exact oil used (brand, product name and grade), as well as how often it is changed
    • Exact fuel used (brand and octane)
    • If catch cans on both valve cover outlets (breather and PCV valve) are used or not

We're trying to help you get the car running better and I'm even willing to build a base/cleanup tune for you, but not until the engine is stable.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by zugig View Post
    The front O2 sensor was needed just to address the weird measured lambda fluctuations and has zero effect on "surging" behavior. I had zero problems with the NTK front O2 sensor on a fairly aggressively tuned '14 AT VT on E60 up to E85.

Performance tuning should not be done until you have a stable foundation mechanically, so get the recommended OEM ignition coils and NGK R2556G-9 spark plugs.

I reviewed the whole thread again and didn't see the following:

• Original owner or not
    • Current vehicle mileage
    • Exact oil used (brand, product name and grade), as well as how often it is changed
    • Exact fuel used (brand and octane)
    • If catch cans on both valve cover outlets (breather and PCV valve) are used or not

We're trying to help you get the car running better and I'm even willing to build a base/cleanup tune for you, but not until the engine is stable.
    The only reason I suspect the "surging" is related to the new front 02 is because it was the only thing changed and it wasn't present before hand even with the other problems. Ive seen similar "surging" from lazy 02 sensors. After driving it a few hundred miles that however seems to be getting less and less.

I wont be doing any performance tuning until I am sure that the motor is healthy since its a daily driver for now and I stack the miles often on it. Factory coils will be ordered hopefully soon but other vehicles are taking up funds. Is a heat range 9 really needed with a factory tune? I feel like I will be fouling those often.

1. Second owner, bought CPO @ Hyundai with 40k on the clock in 2014. ( no signs of past mods form original owner)
    2. Currently just rolled 120k
    3. Currently running Castrol Edge 5w-40 for the last 10 oil changes - Prior to that was running Mobil 1 5w-30 (OEM oil filter @ each change)
    4. Wawa mainly and 93 or 92 always.
    5. Catch can on PCV side only currently

Thanks guys for being patient with me and taking the time to even follow along. Coincidentally before purchasing the hardware to tune the car it never really gave any major problems.

Yes, you really do need heat range 9 plugs as the tune won’t be factory after we’re done with it. Isn’t that the whole reason you bought the MPVI2 in the first place?

You need a high quality catch can on the breather side as well, because you’re sending oil into the turbo, charge piping, intercooler, throttle body, intake manifold and combustion chambers whenever moderate/hard throttle is used. IMO this is why your spark plugs are all crusted up, from the significant blow-by.

Everything else from your answers are adequate although you don’t need 5W-40 if you keep the oil change interval to 3000 miles. I’ve run 0W-20 in mine for a couple of years now, even with higher blends of ethanol up to full E85. If you have E85 in your area, you can create an E20 fuel blend to start cleaning things out, since you now have the fuel pump and PTFE fuel line done!

Ideally you should pull the intake manifold off and clean the intake valves and manifold runners. You could try Seafoam or CRC GDI IV cleaner to accelerate the cleaning, but those can release larger hydrocarbon chunks that can damage your engine. Walnut shell method plus drill+ziptie method generally work best but are a PITA to do.

Turbocharged GDI engines need overzealous maintenance to keep them clean and running well.
    Last edited by zugig; 09-28-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ive always just associated heat range 9 plugs with a fairly aggressive tune with high boost. My only concern would be if I threw them in the car now on a factory tune that I would foul them fairly quickly while I sort out any other issues and take the steps to make the car safe to tune. Plugs are ordered so they will be ready to go in when the time comes. Im going to pull the heat range 8 autolite junks today and see how they fared since changing out from the 7s.

Any recommendations on a dual can setup? I think its time I replace the ebay modified can on the pcv anyways. It catches quite a bit but I feel there is more to capture.

Any reason for running such a thin oil? Everything I have ever read on these cars points to them liking the 5w-40 unless in a really cold climate. I't would be nice to have more options since the castrol is the only 5w-40 readily available near me. Sadly E85 is spread thin and often run out with the atco raceway being in close proximity but ill look into blending. I do use CRC or seafoam at least once a year sprayed through an extended line from the cab while I hold rpms up. Seems the work ok. I have been debating pulling the head this winter but that all depends on the readiness of my truck and space indoors to do it.

Tuner
    Also consider the surging could be from the PCV side of things if not working correctly/leaking. But that would be easy to problem solve. Really could be a leak one of many places that could cause that.

Tuner in Training
    Seems the surging has resolved itself for now. Im going to redo the pcv catch can setup once i find a decent dual can setup I like. Im going to try and keep this thread as tuning related as I can from this point on so it might go dead for a few weeks while I get the parts I need ordered and installed. Looks like I will be getting the coil packs through Socalgarageworks as they seem to be the best priced for OEM.

If I get time ill hook up and log a few pulls to post to see if the weird lambda reading have been resolved.

Tuner
    Best price on OEM VT coils is albert Hwang on FB

Any updates?

Tuner in Training
    OEM coils arrived and are installed. Waiting on plugs, had to replace 2 tires first. Also working on upgrading the existing catch can as well as adding another.

Tuner in Training
    HKS plugs arrived and installed yesterday gapped @ .028. If I get a chance in the next few days I will log a few drives and post.

M40XL or M45XL?

Tuner in Training
    M45XL - May order a set of m40xl incase these wind up being too cold.

Hold off on buying more plugs and see how these work first. Any other mechanical components to replace or are we good to start tuning?