Thread: 2018 L83 6L80 swap drives bad and wont accelerate properly.

Tuner in Training

2018 L83 6L80 swap drives bad and wont accelerate properly.

The past few weeks I have been reading and reading and watching videos over and over again.
    I can't figure out what is wrong. The truck starts fine, and revs up fine.
    But when I start to drive , that is when it is going bad.
    At light throttle when it shifts it starts stumbling(I don't know how to explain) It feels like it is holding.
    And when I give it some more throttle, it does not seem to want to accelerate and it sounds lijk the transmission is slipping.

The swap is a stock 5.3 from a 2018 Silverado with a stock tune.
    Only thing changed is a cold air intake and removed cats.

So because of the intake change I would suspect it running different, but not this kind of bad driving.

I am new to these newer engines and the tuning that comes with them.

First thing I tried is disconnecting the maf and directly reconnect it, you can hear the engine run different(idles a bit loppy)
    But when I drive afterwards it drives a lot better, it shifts rather ok and doe accelerate rather good.

I can't understand why it gives me this result, it should not go in SD right after first error. Only thing is that it does not register the IAT sensor.
    Maybe the IAT makes the engine run in a certain mode?

I added AEM wideband(which also took some tome to get this in the scanner without disappearing.
    I think my problem was an ftdi adapter after changing to a Prolific serial adapter it worked)

Even though I did not expect to be able to tune maf, I did do a few logs (from verry bad driving)
    I did change all the setting as suggested in the different guides.

Engine, fuel cutoff dfco(disable fuel cutoff)
    enable rpm was 980 > set to 8100
    disable rpm was 825 > set to 8099

Engine, fuel, Temperature control.
    Disable COT, can stay off with no cats.

Engine, fuel, Oxygen sensors
    O2 readiness Voltage > change to negative value
    min ECT was 39C set to 255C
    max ECT was 255C set to 1C

Engine, airflow, dynamic (disable dynamic air)
    High rpm disable was 4000 > set to 100
    High rpm re-enable was 3900 > set to 99

Engine, spark, advance, base table
    subtract 5 degrees to reduce engine nock.

Thing is, when I change all the settings, the engine still runs in closed loop.

So I force it in to open loop with the function in the scanner. At the same time I delete LTFT table and stop using this table.
    If I force it into open loop the engine sounds different and starts running almost 8% richer.
    Still doesn't like to drive.
    22-08-20 14-47-52 after maf tune 3.hpl

After this log I copy/paste by % half and did the next run.
    22-08-20 14-56-24 after maf tune 4.hpl
    Also made this video, but it does not show much.

After this log I decided to do a copy/paste by %
    The last run for today was to lean. But I did try something else.
    If I manually (in VCM) select my gears, then I am able to make some speed while selecting higher gears while accelerating.
    22-08-20 16-59-58 after maf tune 5 (richt so deleted tune).hpl

Because this one is lean I deleted this tune and did a copy/paste by % half from a previous log and saved this as the latest.
    I did not do a run on this tune because I need to figure out why it is not accelerating normally before I do my tuning.
    maf tune 4.hpt

I hope someone can help me out because on my searches I keep finding the same things but no real answers.

Tuning Addict
    If you changed OR made your own CAI, then it's going to need the MAF tuned and possibly even the MAF side of the torque model tweaked. Keep in mind these things are torque controlled - you changed registered air going into the motor, so it doesn't necessarily know how to perform and this is why failing it and going sd fixes it until the next self test or key cycle. IF you made YOUR OWN CAI, then make sure you MAF is in a straight area of the pipe - this will throw you for loops if not..

Also need to kill traction control and a lot of the torque management stuff for the swap setup. AND a lot of DTC's will need to be turned off....
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    It is a cold air intake from Spectre designed for the 2018 Silverado.

51tB4e0mmJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

tn_IMG_20220625_164600.jpg

I will look over the tune ones more to see if i have missed anything.
    On the Open/Closed loop thing I found that there are more people complaining about not getting it in open loop, so I'll stick to doing this in the scanner.

I will try the speed density open loop tuning portion to see if I get the same terrible driving or if it gives me better drivability.

If that is the case, could it also be that my MAF sensor is bad?

Most of the time steps are explained in the following order.
    MAF tuning
    SD tuning
    Torque tuning

That is why I wanted to follow these steps.

Like it is driving on MAF, it is not possible to tune MAF.
    Because the changes I made do not affect drivability, I assume I will have to find the solution in the two other options.

I looked over the logs again, because I do log torque.
    This is my virtual torque table.
    Torque table.jpg

And this is from one of the bad driving logs.
    Log shot.jpg

It looks like is requesting much more torque than the engine can make. It is at these moment at negative timing.
    When I look at the log where I shift manual, there is hardly negative timing.

I will also look further in to these settings.
    Torque management.jpg

For now, because I am from Europe, its bed time.
    Tomorrow after work I will try to figure out more about this.
    Last edited by 2stimpy; 08-22-2022 at 03:24 PM.